Still Encouraged; Still Love My Skins: Bright Spots

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-23-2009, 01:11 PM   #46
maroonandblack30
Special Teams

Re: Still Encouraged; Still Love My Skins: Bright Spots

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
That's right you haters, I still love the Redskins. So don't come in this thread bitchin' and hatin':}

Seriously, I just wanted to point out a few bright spots, starting with our top three picks from a year ago.

Freddy Davis, Devin Thomas, and Malcolm Kelly

All are starting to find their groove. Every week we see them do the little things right and actually make plays. Malcolm had a very nice catch today lumbering down the sideline, what seemed like forever. Fred Davis had a couple of clutch receptions and he's proving tough to bring down by one tackler. But I'm most impressed with Devin Thomas' recent playmaking ability; mostly after he has the ball in his hands. This guy has nice moves in tight spaces. I think he has the potential to be a very explosive player for the Redskins in the future. You can tell their confidence grows a little every week.

Jason Campbell

I wanted to give a big ups to Campbell for a gutsy performance. How that guy passed for over 250 yards with Cowboys draped over him most of the day, I will never know. I mentioned this is another thread, and I was glad to see Troy Aikman alude to it in his own way, but we're going to have a hard time shipping Campbell out of here without a bonafide option at quarterback. Guys, there's only three really, really good quarterbacks playing in this league right now. All the others are probably benefiting from a supporting cast that Campbell just doesn't have at the moment. I hope the Redskins realize this when they re-visit Campbell's future here in Washington.

Deangelo Hall

For the record, I've been very critical of him and still feel he can improve his game in some areas. But Hall, warts and all, seems to always be around the ball when we need it the most. He's proving to be a game changer at the corner position. Something we've lacked here, quite frankly, since Champ Bailey was here. Don't be surprised to see Hall get a Pro Bowl nod this year.

Team Heart

This team after losing Portis for a few weeks, playing without Haynesworth, then Betts, then Chad, you name it. They just line up and keep fucking coming at you. After Betts and Chad went down, they could have easily packed it in and called it a day, and no one would have blamed them. The best team did not win today that's for sure. As with last week, I'm proud of their effort this week.

Rock Cartwright

Speaking of coming at you, how 'about Rock Cartwright? This guy grabs his lunch pale every Sunday and brings it. Today Rock had his best day as pro and was definitely the leader on the field today. We'll start our cut Rock threads next summer, but for now the man deserves a tip of the hat. Job well done, sir.
agree..still love the skins and was still bitter when they lost....loved the fight the team showed.
maroonandblack30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-23-2009, 01:22 PM   #47
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I don't need to watch the games closer. I just want to see POINTS AND TOUCHDOWNS. I want to see Thomas make plays that Jackson makes for Philly. I want to see a 7 or 8 catch day for 100+ yards. I personally don't think Kelly is any good so he's already a bust in my book. I like what I'm seeing from Davis but I want more. Maybe my expectations are too high.
After reading this I'd say you do need to watch the games closer still. DT hasn't had the opportunities that DJ has.. let's not worry about DT becoming Desean.. let's worry about DT becoming what he can be.. and right now, when given the opportunity, he's done very well. We're not running him on the same routes that Philly runs Desean often, so you won't see the same plays. You HAVE seen him fighting for extra yards, breaking tackles, and holding onto the ball which is exactly what you want out of him, this isn't Tecmo Bowl.

Kelly doesn't get targeted a lot but I'm thinking that that will change. There's not much reason to not use him to his strengths and that's an issue that we've had with our receivers. If a guy doesn't know every part of the playbook yet then figure out what he is doing well in practice and let him be the playmaker that he is. They're starting to do that with Kelly and it's working. He would've had another nice catch yesterday had Campbell put the ball in the right spot, but instead it got tipped up because it went in front of Kelly, where the defender was.

I don't know what more you want from Davis, he stopped trying to hurdle everybody, he's tough as nails and reliable.

You're just being unrealistic with your expectations. If this was a better team we'd be scoring touchdowns, but I for one will not blame the WR corp anymore because when they've been used properly they've been effective.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:24 PM   #48
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
It doesn't show in the box scores, but Tryon has been pretty solid in the slot
Agreed.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:31 PM   #49
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
Funny, I was just looking at the stat sheet and as porous as the offensive line we only gave up one sack.
It's the good Campbell vs. bad Campbell difference. Campbell has shown in the past that he can be a franchise quarterback, and he spend about 6 consecutive games this year looking like a guy on his way out of town. Yesterday, he beat the sacks with a quick release.

There's not a whole lot of control that we have as a team over performance factors like making sure Campbell sees everything that is happening on the field, but him not getting hit much in the Denver game certainly had a lot to do with it.

There are guys in this league who will look very, very effective even when they are getting banged around all the time. Those guys are the true franchise performers who are in such high demand. Most teams, most super-bowl winning teams, don't have such a player (after all, Peyton has one title in eleven pro seasons, and Brees/Rivers have none). So you have to manufacture good QB play sometimes. The Redskins could do this, if the committed to it, but in the absence of a full-out committment to the current group, a rebuilding of the offense would be a better option than maintaining the status quo and getting four of these games a year.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:32 PM   #50
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I don't think the players are as supportive of Zorn as they are just supportive of the idea of having a head coach who's not overly demanding and disciplined. They know that if Zorn is gone the hatchet could start to come down on any one of them. They know there could be a Marty type here again.
Yep, I don't know if it was on here or in talking with my stepfather that I mentioned that, they definitely like having a guy that gives it to them a little easier. I think it might have been my thread about the easier pre-season maybe contributing to this. We've got a lot of good guys on our team it seems, but it's easy to like a coach that caters more to his players, no doubt in my mind.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:53 PM   #51
Raw0114
Camp Scrub

As bad as this year has gone for our Skins, I can't help but think this is what we've needed for years. Every year we struggle, every year we bitch and complain about our squad. There is always something wrong from coaching to front office, owner,to players. Atleast now with our record and the whole T-shirt and banner at the stadium problem, Maybe this is where we "right the ship" so to speak.We have the tallent,heart and fortitude to get it right(next year).Anyways I still believe in the Redskins and am glad i'm not the only one.HTTR!
Old 11-23-2009, 03:55 PM   #52
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
Yep, I don't know if it was on here or in talking with my stepfather that I mentioned that, they definitely like having a guy that gives it to them a little easier. I think it might have been my thread about the easier pre-season maybe contributing to this. We've got a lot of good guys on our team it seems, but it's easy to like a coach that caters more to his players, no doubt in my mind.
gotta wonder if that factors into all the injuries this season

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 11:29 AM   #53
Monkeydad
Living Legend

NFL - Statistics by Team - Yahoo! Sports

#3 Defense overall and #1-ranked pass defense in the NFL despite Carlos Rogers' play.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:16 PM   #54
Redskin Warrior
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by budw38 View Post
Improved play from OL and QB = Kelly showing something ... IMO .
Yea you got it right first the OL improved then the QB then the WR's & RB's it's starts upfront.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
First they ban winning...now this?
Redskin Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 01:00 PM   #55
joethiesmanfan
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
It's the good Campbell vs. bad Campbell difference. Campbell has shown in the past that he can be a franchise quarterback, and he spend about 6 consecutive games this year looking like a guy on his way out of town. Yesterday, he beat the sacks with a quick release.

There's not a whole lot of control that we have as a team over performance factors like making sure Campbell sees everything that is happening on the field, but him not getting hit much in the Denver game certainly had a lot to do with it.

There are guys in this league who will look very, very effective even when they are getting banged around all the time. Those guys are the true franchise performers who are in such high demand. Most teams, most super-bowl winning teams, don't have such a player (after all, Peyton has one title in eleven pro seasons, and Brees/Rivers have none). So you have to manufacture good QB play sometimes. The Redskins could do this, if the committed to it, but in the absence of a full-out committment to the current group, a rebuilding of the offense would be a better option than maintaining the status quo and getting four of these games a year.
Where's the logic here? improved O-line play, improved play all round. Hmmm interesting. Rebuild we could wind up like Dallas 13 years no playoff win. But you would be happy we won't have Campbell. I want the skins to win regardless of who is the QB. I wouldn't get much satisfaction watching my team lose as long as Campbell is gone. Makes no sense. waht happens if we draft fisrt round QB and he is a Ryan Leaf twin? You would be happy no Campbell.
joethiesmanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 01:28 PM   #56
mlmdub130
Playmaker

after watching the giants suck last night and playing good against the coysluts, i feel like we have a damn good shot to beat both of them at fedex. this sunday should be interesting. i really hope the same d shows up from dallas, just with a different o

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:22 PM   #57
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethiesmanfan View Post
Where's the logic here? improved O-line play, improved play all round. Hmmm interesting. Rebuild we could wind up like Dallas 13 years no playoff win. But you would be happy we won't have Campbell. I want the skins to win regardless of who is the QB. I wouldn't get much satisfaction watching my team lose as long as Campbell is gone. Makes no sense. waht happens if we draft fisrt round QB and he is a Ryan Leaf twin? You would be happy no Campbell.
You may have a comprehension issue.

Or, perhaps, I may.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:35 PM   #58
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
NFL - Statistics by Team - Yahoo! Sports

#3 Defense overall and #1-ranked pass defense in the NFL despite Carlos Rogers' play.
Well, in full disclosure, you should note that only Tampa Bay has faced less passes than the Redskins have, so we're behind NYJ, New Orleans, and Indianapolis in yards per pass attempt. That would make us the 4th rated pass defense in the eyes of most, which is still very good.

But the difference between us and the middle of the pack NFL teams is 0.3 yards per pass attempt, and that difference won't win or lose you many games.

I think our run defense gets a really raw deal because we are one of only five teams this year (Tampa, Oakland, Buffalo, and Cleveland...all teams with terrible offenses) who has faced MORE runs than passes. We rank 20th in defensive yards per rushing attempt, but we've been so good in short yardage situations, and tackles for loss that I think our run defense is actually a lot better than our passing defense.

And yes, I saw our interior DL getting killed without Haynesworth in there, and we were certainly better against the pass than the run in our last game, but for the season, I think the pass D has been the achillies heel.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:36 PM   #59
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Then there's the turnovers issue, but frankly, I'm just tired of talking about that. We're not an elite defense, and no one thinks we are, and the turnovers will come along with the increased sacks we've seen. Hopefully.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:40 PM   #60
GTripp0012
Living Legend

We're 6th overall in total yards per play, and 6th overall in points per game. Of course, not all yards are created equal, and points in the aggregate tell you nothing, so with a grain of salt, we've done pretty well on defense.

Let's see where we rank after the final six opponents. It will be a nice challenge.