Cooley put on IR

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-26-2011, 07:20 AM   #46
That Guy
Living Legend

Re: Cooley put on IR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
Or we could skip Davis and move right on to Paulson who did an admirable job catching passes for 1st downs when others were dropping passes.
he's slow. fred gets downfield.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-26-2011, 07:20 AM   #47
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Or we could skip Davis and move right on to Paulson who did an admirable job catching passes for 1st downs when others were dropping passes.
Nobody is gameplanning around Paulsen.. not to say he tapped his potential but that could just be the Yoder effect.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:01 AM   #48
irish
Playmaker

CC's knee is the real problem as it just wouldnt get better, the finger was just the icing on the cake for putting him on IR. I'm not certain that CC is done as a Redskin but I do think his spot on the team is no longer certain as it has been in the past.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:51 AM   #49
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
I think he's supposed to account for a $4 million salary next year which is the main reason. Also, it's obvious his injuries have affected his performance. He looked like a old man out there this year running. Paulsen looked faster than he has all year. No way a back up TE is going to get that type of coin, and I seriously doubt he'll see any type of decent pay on the open market. If he were to take a significant pay cut and take a back seat to Fred, then by all means keep the guy around.
As I said, money might be an issue and that could potentially be the reason why he could leave the team. My beef is with the "youth movement" people that have been calling for the team to get rid of CC the moment that Davis had a decent game.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:24 AM   #50
SouperMeister
Playmaker

Quote:
Cough cough, if Davis keeps giving up catchable balls he might not be retained either.
Make no mistake, Davis will be resigned. More than last week's drop, I have a bigger issue with Davis not fighting hard for two balls that ended up Grossman picks in the Philly game. Both were decent throws, where premier tight ends like Gonzalez and Gates fight to make plays on the ball.
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:28 AM   #51
skinsfan69
Living Legend

We all love Cooley. He's been a great Redskin. But to be honest he isn't a great red zone target, a guy that can score double digit TD's and that's been the problem around here...not being able to score points. We need playmakers on offense and he doesn't fit the bill there. If he comes back then great. I kinda hope he does, perhaps he can play fullback, but I don't want him at TE anymore.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:34 AM   #52
freddyg12
Playmaker

I'm hoping this is for the best for CC & the Skins. Love me some Cooley. Here's how I see it:

1) This may be the end of football for him. Doesn't sound good that he's coming off an operation on that knee & it still has bothered him. He wasn't the same player this year as last, much slower. He's a smart guy that has a life outside football, so I wouldn't be surprised if he walks away while he still can rather than risking a long-term injury.

2) I seriously hope that this is not a case where we get to see the cold, heartless side of B. Allen. The bright side is I think Shanny will want him back if he's healthy. A pay cut in the form of a new deal w/incentives would be ideal.

3) Cooley has shown he's a team guy. He won't complain about being a backup & he wants to finish his career in DC. The team should always find a way to work something out w/guys like him. Hope that's the case.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:42 AM   #53
MTK
\m/

If healthy I think he will be back.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:56 AM   #54
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperMeister View Post
Make no mistake, Davis will be resigned. More than last week's drop, I have a bigger issue with Davis not fighting hard for two balls that ended up Grossman picks in the Philly game. Both were decent throws, where premier tight ends like Gonzalez and Gates fight to make plays on the ball.
Davis needs to learn how to use his height advantage and attack the ball. There's no excuse for him being outjumped by a shorter DB.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:58 AM   #55
saden1
MVP

Cooley's days are numbered. If we can get rid of him next year that would be a good move. I will take a 3rd rounder for him.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:21 AM   #56
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
Cooley's days are numbered. If we can get rid of him next year that would be a good move. I will take a 3rd rounder for him.
Good luck with that happening.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:29 AM   #57
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Bruce needs to get that extension done for Davis.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:34 AM   #58
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
Bottom line, it's time for the young guys to step up.

I may be the only who feels this way, but none of these injuries are deal breakers, save London, and this team can still make a run.
As optimistic as I was at the beginning, for me it's hard not to see this thing going into a tailspin. We're last in the NFC in turnover ratio, 4th last in the league -- that's the only thing that's correctable. Otherwise, we have all the classic problems: Mediocre QB, no gamebreakers on offense. Hell, Moss was our biggest threat and even he hasn't been superstar material lately. Best you can say for Gaffney and Stallworth is that they're competent.

And apparently, asking young WRs like Paul, Hankerson, and Austin to step up and perform is a herculean task; 2-3 year learning curve rule for wideouts and all. Why does it always seem so hard for the Redskins to get some dynamic playmakers?
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:52 AM   #59
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
As optimistic as I was at the beginning, for me it's hard not to see this thing going into a tailspin. We're last in the NFC in turnover ratio, 4th last in the league -- that's the only thing that's correctable. Otherwise, we have all the classic problems: Mediocre QB, no gamebreakers on offense. Hell, Moss was our biggest threat and even he hasn't been superstar material lately. Best you can say for Gaffney and Stallworth is that they're competent.

And apparently, asking young WRs like Paul, Hankerson, and Austin to step up and perform is a herculean task; 2-3 year learning curve rule for wideouts and all. Why does it always seem so hard for the Redskins to get some dynamic playmakers?
Probably because we haven't focused on having a fundamentally sound team for the last decade. Playmakers are great, and I agree that we need to find one, two, or even 3, BUT, when our team fails at the simple things of pass protection, run blocking, or defensive pressure, the playmakers we have brought in (Moss, Portis, etc) generally fail. In most cases you have to have a sound team before you can have an explosive team. I believe we are doing better at building a sound team, admittedly- the last two weeks seem to argue against that.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:53 AM   #60
dmek25
MVP

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/n...-done-w-cooley

Cooley is due $3.8 million next season, turns 30 in July and will have missed 20 games due to injury in the last three years. With emerging stud Fred Davis set to hit free agency after the 2012 season, the Redskins need to be saving money at the tight end position. Cooley's knee woes also appear chronic, making it doubtful he ever returns to the form he showed while becoming the Redskins' all-time leader in catches by a tight end.