Debating with the enemy

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 06:04 PM   #1
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinRat View Post
According to all the reports, yes. Why?
Well because I've seen people on Facebook and other sites say it was white and black
Old 03-23-2012, 09:48 PM   #2
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Re: Trayvon Martin Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Well because I've seen people on Facebook and other sites say it was white and black
I've heard "white hispanic". Apparently he's bi-racial, (obvious by the last name Zimmerman) half white, half hispanic. Which basically means, consider how our society works.... He's Hispanic.

As I've read more into the case since I made the thread, the whole thing reeks of racial profiling. And I'm kind of happy that the family went over the head of the police department, I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them.

I especially feel awful for the kid's girlfriend, who he was on the phone with seconds before he died. That's gotta be some kinda traumatizing.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:10 AM   #3
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

I've listened to the call, read through a bunch of accounts of the kids' character and also the shooter and I'd say that given the additional information the shooter had an issue with what he perceived (as I far as it's been reported) as a troublemaker kid.

First and foremost it's clearly murder, second, what the police did is reprehensible beyond belief, thirdly the lack of immediate response from the locals (aside from one lady witness who made repeated attempts to clarify the situation to law enforcement and was spurned) is disgusting.

Still not sold on the race aspect, possibly because I don't want race to be an issue. I'm not racist, never have been. Can't understand why anyone is.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:11 PM   #4
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

I have to weigh in here. I've read just about everything i can on this issue, watched it all on TV, etc.. A couple of things stand out to me...

George Zimmerman was well respected and very liked by his neighborhood. Neighbors that were going out of town for a few days would ask Zimmerman to watch out for their place, etc..

He was a good neighbor and people felt safe from his actions to lead their neighborhood watch. He called police dozens upon dozens of times over the years, leading to the police making some arrests, etc.. He would call and alert them about all kinds of things, cars driving slow and stopping in front of houses, people on foot looking in windows, etc...

I think the media has turned this into a race issue when it was apparant that the incident was not motivated by race. Zimmerman himself is hispanic.

It will be tough to prove anything in court one way or the other because witness statements contradict each other. Some say they saw Zimmerman being attacked, others say they only saw Zimmeran standing over Martin's body, offering no help, etc...

Zimmerman was injured at the time of the shooting, suffering a broken nose and a gash on the back of his head. He was injured some how, and I do not believe some of the stories where they say he injured himself.

No winner in this case, regardless of decision. Martin sadly will remain dead, either way. If Zimmerman is convicted, you'll have many people say that Florida's "Stand your ground" law doesn't protect you, etc...
Old 03-26-2012, 09:33 AM   #5
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

You posted the same thing twice 15 minutes apart? How does that happen? Usually a double post like that is unintentional.

Also, as much as I believe Zimmerman should be convicted of murder, if not manslaughter at the least, if there's no evidence or witness accounts proving anything than JR is right and Zimmerman will be free. It's not right but evidence is paramount, and I don't think they have any in this case.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:56 AM   #6
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

I was editing the remark and got called away. I came back (15 mins. later) and hit submit and, rather than editing the prior remark, it double posted. I probably did something wrong.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:22 PM   #7
los panda
Pro Bowl

has anyone seen a photo of martin at age 17? just curious. i think the most popular one w the media, w the hollister shirt, is several years old
Old 03-26-2012, 05:51 PM   #8
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by los panda View Post
has anyone seen a photo of martin at age 17? just curious. i think the most popular one w the media, w the hollister shirt, is several years old
Yes if the pics I saw were him he had gold teeth and a few tats. There was one floating around which was not real. I have to believe there is a reason there are no currents pics of him.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:03 PM   #9
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by los panda View Post
heres some pics:

Was Trayvon Martin a Drug Dealer? | a12iggymom's Blog

Also ive heard the photo of Martin in the hoodie was airbrushed to make him look "softer".
Old 03-26-2012, 06:11 PM   #10
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
heres some pics:

Was Trayvon Martin a Drug Dealer? | a12iggymom's Blog

Also ive heard the photo of Martin in the hoodie was airbrushed to make him look "softer".
This is indeed fact. Just read it today. The photo of him that is on all the billboards and signs is the photoshopped one.

Current photos of him portray a vastly different looking individual. Tattoos, gold teeth. One web site said he had some kind of tattoo on his cheek that the airbrushing removed...
Old 03-26-2012, 06:26 PM   #11
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
This is indeed fact. Just read it today. The photo of him that is on all the billboards and signs is the photoshopped one.

Current photos of him portray a vastly different looking individual. Tattoos, gold teeth. One web site said he had some kind of tattoo on his cheek that the airbrushing removed...
I have to say that doesn't make him a bad kid nor Zimmerman a racist.

There is now a hint of cynical exploitation to this event that, should it prove to be true, would set race relations back a few decades.

I'm also not a big fan of happy capering during a solemn (I would guess) event like a walk in memoriam, although I could have posted this in 'Grind my gears'

Last edited by RedskinRat; 03-26-2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:22 PM   #12
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinRat View Post
I have to say that doesn't make him a bad kid nor Zimmerman a racist.

There is now a hint of cynical exploitation to this event that, should it prove to be true, would set race relations back a few decades.

I'm also not a big fan of happy capering during a solemn (I would guess) event like a walk in memoriam, although I could have posted this in 'Grind my gears'
I know this sounds awful, but I'm kinda glad it wasn't a white guy who shot him. I mean, this is already a media circus, but it involves 2 minorities. Which doesn't make it any better, but I just feel like there's a different air about it than if it was some lily white guy, shooting a black guy. I feel like that would be bad. I'm talking like, race riots bad.

I don't feel like things are going to breakdown between blacks and hispanics because of this.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:20 PM   #13
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Trayvon Martin: George Zimmerman's account to police of the Trayvon Martin shooting. - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
Old 03-26-2012, 05:58 PM   #14
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

I'm wondering how long it takes for this to become a push for CCTV like we have in Europe.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:32 PM   #15
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

So a kid with tattoos and gold teeth is a gangster? Or a drugdealer? I'm pretty sure if this dude was a true gangster he wouldn't have had just iced tea and skittles on him right? I'm not saying he didn't do anything wrong in this case but in all fairness most 18 year old s want to act hard that's just the way it is in today's world.
Closed Thread