2022 Commanders off season thread part 1

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-14-2022, 08:13 AM   #496
GridIron26
Playmaker

Re: 2022 Commanders off season thread part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
It's tough to evaluate Turner's job when he had to play multiple QBs within two years, so I am not sure how to feel about this.
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-14-2022, 08:37 AM   #497
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GridIron26 View Post
It's tough to evaluate Turner's job when he had to play multiple QBs within two years, so I am not sure how to feel about this.
Al Galdi had an interesting take about that: maybe the point is to say to Carson Wentz "this is the coach you're gonna work with, and he's here to stay, so play along and everything will be fine".
Don't know if there's any truth to that, but the timing has to make you wonder.
Old 03-14-2022, 11:28 AM   #498
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
Al Galdi had an interesting take about that: maybe the point is to say to Carson Wentz "this is the coach you're gonna work with, and he's here to stay, so play along and everything will be fine".
Don't know if there's any truth to that, but the timing has to make you wonder.

I can't hear but I think I understand the point of that part based on what you typed. In some games, I can see Turner called right plays but QB didn't read it correctly or whatever. And in a few other games, Turner called bad plays. I just hope the extension for Turner is not for multiple years.
Old 03-14-2022, 11:36 AM   #499
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Signing a new contract wont stop them from firing him if they think he is the problem, obviously they dont right now but it is not like there is a coaches salary cap to manage
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 04:33 PM   #500
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
I can't hear but I think I understand the point of that part based on what you typed. In some games, I can see Turner called right plays but QB didn't read it correctly or whatever. And in a few other games, Turner called bad plays. I just hope the extension for Turner is not for multiple years.
3years, through 2024.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundDorf
Signing a new contract wont stop them from firing him if they think he is the problem, obviously they dont right now but it is not like there is a coaches salary cap to manage
True. But if they do have some concerns/questions about Wentz' coachability, then it sure won't hurt to reenforce your OC's position a bit.
Old 03-15-2022, 09:16 AM   #501
GridIron26
Playmaker

Thanks French.

Edmund - you are correct, it's not big deal if we sign a coach to multiple years and then fire him before the contract expires. It's just that Rivera is well known for being loyal (I'm the same way and I eventually learned that being loyal to a fault can be harmful) so I hope Rivera will not stick with Turner too long if he continues to show little to nothing next year.
Old 03-15-2022, 09:27 AM   #502
MTK
\m/

Turner hasn't had jack shit to work with at QB so far, and yet the offensive rankings last year weren't all that bad and actually improved from the year before. I'm fine with giving him an extension.
Old 03-15-2022, 09:32 AM   #503
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Turner hasn't had jack shit to work with at QB so far, and yet the offensive rankings last year weren't all that bad and actually improved from the year before. I'm fine with giving him an extension.
I think we will see Wentz with Turner throughout his contract
Old 03-15-2022, 10:15 AM   #504
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Quote:
Thanks French.

Edmund - you are correct, it's not big deal if we sign a coach to multiple years and then fire him before the contract expires. It's just that Rivera is well known for being loyal (I'm the same way and I eventually learned that being loyal to a fault can be harmful) so I hope Rivera will not stick with Turner too long if he continues to show little to nothing next year.
Yes I totally agree, being overly loyal maybe Rons biggest weakness , whether with players or coaches.
Old 03-15-2022, 10:25 AM   #505
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundDorf View Post
Yes I totally agree, being overly loyal maybe Rons biggest weakness , whether with players or coaches.
I think Ron is loyal. I thought for sure hed switch to Allen after the bye but he didnt and we won 4 straight, giving the team a fun hyped up 4 weeks throwing stones at whiteboards, JDR winning in raiders.

------------

Non football related ...

Isnt "overly" kinda baked into the "loyal" pie? Can you be overly loyal .. or isnt that just loyal?

Like "absolutely quiet" .. isnt "quiet" by its definition "quiet". Theres no levels to quiet. It is either quiet or its not. quiet = absolutely quiet

Youre either loyal or youre not.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 10:28 AM   #506
skinsfan69
Living Legend

McVay got to a SB and made the playoffs a couple times w/Goff. Kyle has also been to one SB and one game from another w/ Jimmy G.

I would put the current Wentz a little better than both of them. You make this kind of move Ron plus extent your OC then you have to get to the playoffs this year. If those guys are making it w/ not as good of a QB then Ron should. Fair or not that is how I would judge him this year.

Especially the 49ers. You can argue Kyle is getting more out of his roster than anyone in the league. Ron, Scott and Jack need to do better.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 10:39 AM   #507
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
McVay got to a SB and made the playoffs a couple times w/Goff. Kyle has also been to one SB and one game from another w/ Jimmy G.

I would put the current Wentz a little better than both of them. You make this kind of move Ron plus extent your OC then you have to get to the playoffs this year. If those guys are making it w/ not as good of a QB then Ron should. Fair or not that is how I would judge him this year.

Especially the 49ers. You can argue Kyle is getting more out of his roster than anyone in the league. Ron, Scott and Jack need to do better.
I'd definitely take Wentz over Goff and Jimmy G.

Ron needs a big step forward kind of season. Double digit wins and a win in the playoffs or he's going to be feeling some serious heat.
Old 03-15-2022, 10:42 AM   #508
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
I think Ron is loyal. I thought for sure hed switch to Allen after the bye but he didnt and we won 4 straight, giving the team a fun hyped up 4 weeks throwing stones at whiteboards, JDR winning in raiders.

------------

Non football related ...

Isnt "overly" kinda baked into the "loyal" pie? Can you be overly loyal .. or isnt that just loyal?

Like "absolutely quiet" .. isnt "quiet" by its definition "quiet". Theres no levels to quiet. It is either quiet or its not. quiet = absolutely quiet

Youre either loyal or youre not.
Haha, yes good point.
Old 03-15-2022, 10:46 AM   #509
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundDorf View Post
Haha, yes good point.
Thanks for receiving my non sequitor well, was worried my attempt at coffee table talk might be taken as nit picky .. hard to tell on the internet sometimes

cheers

edit - wish we had a "like" or thumbs up button I could just "like" your response wout having to write out "thank you notes"
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 10:51 AM   #510
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
Thanks for receiving my non sequitor well, was worried my attempt at coffee table talk might be taken as nit picky .. hard to tell on the internet sometimes

cheers

edit - wish we had a "like" or thumbs up button I could just "like" your response wout having to write out "thank you notes"