Coronavirus (political)

Debating with the enemy

Old 05-22-2020, 01:59 PM   #496
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Re: Coronavirus (political)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
I honestly don't think the divide is that great. Polls show that most people are concerned about states re-opening too quickly. Out in public most people are wearing masks and observing social distancing just fine.

What you're talking about with destroying the economy to get Trump out or keeping the country shut down for good are discussions not even worth having IMO because they just lack common sense and rationality. People with those views are on the fringe.
I think Trump has been out for a long time, but I do see a big divide in policy between the typical Republicans and Democrats of re-opening the country for business. The businesses in my area run the gamut on their compliance of mandates from the governor. The mom & pop market close to me has deli workers without any protective equipment and no one at the check out counter with it on either. Nothing but a couple 6 foot marks on the floor by the checkout line. Seems like the small business aren't complying much, with the larger ones at high levels of compliance. It doesn't seem like there is any enforcement around here.

Last edited by Buffalo Bob; 05-22-2020 at 04:01 PM.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-22-2020, 03:29 PM   #497
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
People are so split on the issue, even without the bots.

A lot of my Democrat friends want a long term shutdown, until a vaccine is developed. They don't seem to know, or care, about the economic consequences, and in fact over the past couple of days i have even been accused of not being a "real" democrat because i have been vocal about the lockdowns doing more harm than good.

One of my best friends told me that straight up the only way to get Joe Biden elected would be if we could destroy the country and the economy. So i was accused that by supporting a desire to reopen America, i was supporting Trump.

Maybe this is the small minority of Democrats, but i'm not sure. Theres an awful lot of people right now hoping America stays shut down for good.
Not being argumentative here but I know no one like that . I'm the sole republican in my household and none of the kids their spouse's or friends feel that way nor do any Democratic friends I have.They know their money and savings are all tied up in the economy a great economy is good for all ,it was great under Obama when he brought it back after 08 and while I despise trump and thankfully many republicans are jumping ship on him it's not about him, the economy will come back,the market was due a correction anyway.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:34 PM   #498
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Not being argumentative here but I know no one like that . I'm the sole republican in my household and none of the kids their spouse's or friends feel that way nor do any Democratic friends I have.They know their money and savings are all tied up in the economy a great economy is good for all ,it was great under Obama when he brought it back after 08 and while I despise trump and thankfully many republicans are jumping ship on him it's not about him, the economy will come back,the market was due a correction anyway.
It is going to take a long,long time. The change in people's future spending habits is going to put a lot of businesses out of business. We already have had a lot of restaurants permanently close, many of those that survived so far aren't doing well. I went in a Subway and got a sandwich yesterday, even though the parking lot was jam packed with people who were probably grocery shopping I was the only one in the Subway and the whole time I exited and ate the sandwich in my vehicle no one else went in.

The local McDonald's which is a stone's throw from I-95 is usually jam packed on Friday-Saturday-Sunday, no matter what time of day. When I drove past there at 3pm today on the way to the bank there were two cars in the drive thru line.

I suppose I have to take the good with the bad as it seems on average the Corona-virus adds 5-10 unpaid hours to my business week. Most of that is using Fedex because the post office is no longer reliable. Also customer service from vendors has gotten real bad with most of them. On the good side I do not have to wait in long lines for takeout food. Unfortunately that is not sustainable, as no one in line for food equals out of business soon.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:55 PM   #499
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bob View Post
It is going to take a long,long time. The change in people's future spending habits is going to put a lot of businesses out of business. We already have had a lot of restaurants permanently close, many of those that survived so far aren't doing well. I went in a Subway and got a sandwich yesterday, even though the parking lot was jam packed with people who were probably grocery shopping I was the only one in the Subway and the whole time I exited and ate the sandwich in my vehicle no one else went in.

The local McDonald's which is a stone's throw from I-95 is usually jam packed on Friday-Saturday-Sunday, no matter what time of day. When I drove past there at 3pm today on the way to the bank there were two cars in the drive thru line.

I suppose I have to take the good with the bad as it seems on average the Corona-virus adds 5-10 unpaid hours to my business week. Most of that is using Fedex because the post office is no longer reliable. Also customer service from vendors has gotten real bad with most of them. On the good side I do not have to wait in long lines for takeout food. Unfortunately that is not sustainable, as no one in line for food equals out of business soon.

I would think that probably 60 - 75% of "Mom and Pop's" / small businesses are out of business permanently by the time this "ends". What will be left is large big box stores for shopping, corporate owned restaurants, think large chains

But it is also important to remember that many things that are now gone for good were already on their way to going out well before the pandemic. Think places like sears, AMC theaters, etc.... It's easy for a business to blame the virus now for going OB when even before the lockdowns, they may have survived two or three more months tops....
Old 05-22-2020, 10:15 PM   #500
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
People are so split on the issue, even without the bots.

A lot of my Democrat friends want a long term shutdown, until a vaccine is developed. They don't seem to know, or care, about the economic consequences, and in fact over the past couple of days i have even been accused of not being a "real" democrat because i have been vocal about the lockdowns doing more harm than good.

One of my best friends told me that straight up the only way to get Joe Biden elected would be if we could destroy the country and the economy. So i was accused that by supporting a desire to reopen America, i was supporting Trump.

Maybe this is the small minority of Democrats, but i'm not sure. Theres an awful lot of people right now hoping America stays shut down for good.
Yes, like me. Death to America. Communism rules. Suck it Reagan.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:17 PM   #501
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
I would think that probably 60 - 75% of "Mom and Pop's" / small businesses are out of business permanently by the time this "ends". What will be left is large big box stores for shopping, corporate owned restaurants, think large chains

But it is also important to remember that many things that are now gone for good were already on their way to going out well before the pandemic. Think places like sears, AMC theaters, etc.... It's easy for a business to blame the virus now for going OB when even before the lockdowns, they may have survived two or three more months tops....
Have you been paying attention to the news? All the big chains want bailouts because they spent their "rainy day emergency fund" money on stock buybacks and corporate bonuses. They're broke too! Which means America's broke! Yayyyyy! Finally, I can watch this useless turd of a country get flushed down the shitter.

I'm actually changing my stance now, I'm pro global-warming, excessive greed, nationalism and every-man-for-himself-ism. Hopefully I'm still alive to witness this planet imploding thanks to humanity's worst enemy, itself.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:21 AM   #502
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Have you been paying attention to the news? All the big chains want bailouts because they spent their "rainy day emergency fund" money on stock buybacks and corporate bonuses. They're broke too! Which means America's broke! Yayyyyy! Finally, I can watch this useless turd of a country get flushed down the shitter.

I'm actually changing my stance now, I'm pro global-warming, excessive greed, nationalism and every-man-for-himself-ism. Hopefully I'm still alive to witness this planet imploding thanks to humanity's worst enemy, itself.
Are you a poster boy for the hate the USA liberal? You are always free to leave with that attitude.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:27 AM   #503
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:

The mom & pop grocery stores are actually getting more business in my area, the local hardware, and small auto parts store are doing good also. Probably mostly people wanting to avoid the crowds and chaos of the large stores. It seems to be the eateries are the ones hit hard, even though they are offering take out and some with patio dining, they are flat out empty.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:42 AM   #504
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
The mom & pop grocery stores are actually getting more business in my area, the local hardware, and small auto parts store are doing good also. Probably mostly people wanting to avoid the crowds and chaos of the large stores. It seems to be the eateries are the ones hit hard, even though they are offering take out and some with patio dining, they are flat out empty.
I will agree with you here. Sears yes and many other big name s that were too late to compete with Amazon and Walmart but the AMC theaters were booming all around me so I'm not sure about them but yes it seems many are going to the small mom and Pop stores from what I see.

I'm one that just doesn't like Malls ,as far as I am concerned all the Malls can shut down for good!
Old 05-25-2020, 07:20 PM   #505
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
I will agree with you here. Sears yes and many other big name s that were too late to compete with Amazon and Walmart but the AMC theaters were booming all around me so I'm not sure about them but yes it seems many are going to the small mom and Pop stores from what I see.

I'm one that just doesn't like Malls ,as far as I am concerned all the Malls can shut down for good!
I seriously cannot even remember the last time I went in a mall, could have been damn near 25 years ago.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:22 PM   #506
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
I seriously cannot even remember the last time I went in a mall, could have been damn near 25 years ago.
I go once a year to get Candles from the Yankee Candle shop ,other than that nope!
Old 05-26-2020, 09:57 AM   #507
Giantone
Gamebreaker

No surprise here,............trump lied.

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/trump...085217775.html

St. Louis Post-Dispatch Editorial Exposes Trump's 'Colossal' Lie About Obama

President Donald Trump has repeatedly blamed former President Barack Obama for his own administration’s mishandling of the coronavirus pandemic.

The last administration left us nothing,” Trump said last month.

But the St. Louis Post-Dispatch found that Trump’s own budget documents show the opposite ― exposing what it called “a lie of colossal Trumpian proportions.”

The newspaper’s editorial board said the Trump administration told Congress that the Obama administration left it with everything needed for a pandemic ― and sought big budget cuts from the programs as a result.

Trump’s 2020 budget asked Congress to cut the pandemic preparedness budget by $102.9 million, part of $595.5 million in requested cuts to public health preparedness and response outlay.

“Obama left office with an unblemished record of building up the nation’s pandemic preparedness,” the newspaper said. “Trump systematically sought to dismantle it.”

Trump has since blamed his predecessor for lack of personal protective equipment and testing supplies, saying “our cupboards were bare. We had very little in our stockpile.”

But the newspaper said a chart provided by the Trump administration with the budget shows that by 2016 ― Obama’s final year in office ― the nation’s public health emergency preparedness was at least 98% on every key measure.

“That’s by the Trump administration’s own assessment,” the Post-Dispatch said. “If the cupboard was bare, it’s because Trump swept it clean.”
Old 05-26-2020, 06:48 PM   #508
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

You're wasting your breath G1, Trump has been unfairly targeted by the left since day 1 and if you're not a Trump supporter, you're an anti-American POS. He's the real victim in all of this, not all of the citizens who died. Fact: 100% of people are guaranteed to die eventually, it was inevitable.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:07 PM   #509
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
You're wasting your breath G1, Trump has been unfairly targeted by the left since day 1 and if you're not a Trump supporter, you're an anti-American POS. He's the real victim in all of this, not all of the citizens who died. Fact: 100% of people are guaranteed to die eventually, it was inevitable.
When are you moving out of the country that you made this comment about?

Finally, I can watch this useless turd of a country get flushed down the shitter.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:08 AM   #510
MTK
\m/

How nuts is it that we have to fact check the President

President threatens to close social media platforms after accusing Twitter of ‘stifling free speech’ for correcting his post