All things Middle East related

Debating with the enemy

Old 10-08-2015, 08:34 AM   #451
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Re: All things Middle East related

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
This may be so. Its a huge quagmire and letting Russia get stuck in it might not be a bad thing.

The problem is how far is Putin willing to push to re-establish Russian power. Everything he has done has been incremental international cat and mouse games.

Add in Shiite and Sunni factionalism and explosive reactions can happen

Sent from my S6 Edge
The situation has been a dumpster fire for awhile. We did nothing to stop the sunni and shia from coming to blows in iraq, we did nothing to stop Turkey from bombing the kurds, now Putin is bombing Syrian rebels we support. And the funny thing to me about that is, technically the Russians are there legally being invited by the current sovereign government, and we are not legally invited there.

Guess blaming Bush for this whole mess, even though he left office several years ago, is easier than trying to make hard decisions in the middle east. And no, I'm not talking about just more military force. The West dismissed Russian offer to help remove Assad in 2012, says top diplomat.
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-08-2015, 08:42 AM   #452
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

I agree with your whole first paragraph. And though I don't know where blaming Bush factors in, I also agree that our politicians as a whole just won't make hard decisions but rather seek more simplistic answers (ie bomb em into submission, or we can all be friends if we hold hands and smile).

Sent from my S6 Edge
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 10:31 AM   #453
over the mountain
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HailGreen28 View Post
The situation has been a dumpster fire for awhile. We did nothing to stop the sunni and shia from coming to blows in iraq, we did nothing to stop Turkey from bombing the kurds, now Putin is bombing Syrian rebels we support. And the funny thing to me about that is, technically the Russians are there legally being invited by the current sovereign government, and we are not legally invited there.

Guess blaming Bush for this whole mess, even though he left office several years ago, is easier than trying to make hard decisions in the middle east. And no, I'm not talking about just more military force. The West dismissed Russian offer to help remove Assad in 2012, says top diplomat.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/looks-...120000597.html

Kind of at odds with this article that said obama agreed with Russia/Iran to not really go hard at Assad bc Russia/Iran agreed to help transition Assad out.

Now, clearly, Russia and Iran have no intention of transitioning from Assad and have doubled down.

I for the most part am an Obama supporter but the murica! part of me says "lets puff out our chest and show them whose boss" ..... but another side of me is like "why are we soo overly involved in the ME?'. I understand we have to support SA and oil prices etc.

cant we maintain a superior economic and military advantage if we diverted the trillions in resources to another strategy?

the ME is like a game of Monopoly to me. Super powers are just proxy fighting for property on the boards to maintain or gain a monopoly.

only now Russia and Iran arent just proxy fighting anymore.

im sure russia knows not to have an accidental incident w one of our planes bc im sure russia wants us to stay non-committed.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:59 AM   #454
over the mountain
Playmaker

How long until Iraq formally request the US out of Iraq so Russia can move in?

Im sure there is some agreement btw Iraq and the US that allows the US to stay for a future determinable time but i think at some point Iraq will make the request anyway.

As the world turns.
Old 10-13-2015, 12:52 AM   #455
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/looks-...120000597.html

Kind of at odds with this article that said obama agreed with Russia/Iran to not really go hard at Assad bc Russia/Iran agreed to help transition Assad out.
What the article completely missed is the way Russia and US want to accomplish their goals. US has been trying arming groups and sanctions to fight SA (Syrian Army, Assad's forces). Russia is trying supporting the SA with material, troops if necessary, and airstrikes (many against the rebels the US supports).

Quote:
Now, clearly, Russia and Iran have no intention of transitioning from Assad and have doubled down.
Wrong.

Putin meets Saudi prince on 'political solution' in Syria

The "political compromise", discussed for a long time by RUS, is over the removal of Assad.

The difference between Russia and US goals, is US wants to transition from rebel victors to democracy (not realistic given Libya, Iraq, etc.), and Russia wants to transition from Assad regime to similar Russian-aligned regime (may be least of evils there, at least it's not ISIS.)

Quote:
I for the most part am an Obama supporter but the murica! part of me says "lets puff out our chest and show them whose boss" ..... but another side of me is like "why are we soo overly involved in the ME?'. I understand we have to support SA and oil prices etc.

cant we maintain a superior economic and military advantage if we diverted the trillions in resources to another strategy?

the ME is like a game of Monopoly to me. Super powers are just proxy fighting for property on the boards to maintain or gain a monopoly.
Oil still makes the world (economically) go round. One good thing about running out of "peak oil", will be much of ME going back to being safely ignored.

Quote:
only now Russia and Iran arent just proxy fighting anymore.

im sure russia knows not to have an accidental incident w one of our planes bc im sure russia wants us to stay non-committed.
I wouldn't be surprised if something like that has already happened, and it's kept under wraps because neither US or RUS want a direct confrontation there.
Old 10-16-2015, 03:28 PM   #456
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

I really don't see how the ME can't explode into a major war, though I hope it doesn't.

The latest tidbit :
U.S. confirms Iran tested nuclear-capable ballistic missile

So they violated a UNSC resolution that they had said would stay in effect until the whole new deal takes place.

The situation reminds me of Pre WWI Europe in so many ways, I just wonder what nutjob will shoot the shot that leads down to global warfare.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 07:16 PM   #457
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

WHAT?????
Iran testing a Nuke delivery system....But, but how can that be. The Peace Loving Muslims said...they'd be good???
Wait a minute...they must need the delivery vehicle in conjunction with they're Nuclear power plants, right?
It is shocking what is passing for leadership in this country.......
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 09:38 PM   #458
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

The missile — named Emad, or pillar — is a step up from Iran’s Shahab-3 missiles because it can be guided toward its target, the Iranian defense minister, Hossein Dehghan, told the semiofficial Fars news agency. In recent decades, with Iran’s air force plagued by economic sanctions and other restrictions, the country has invested heavily in its nuclear program and has produced missiles that can reach as far as Europe.

We don’t seek permission from anyone to strengthen our defense and missile capabilities,” Mr. Dehghan said.

..............cool
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 12:08 AM   #459
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
The missile — named Emad, or pillar — is a step up from Iran’s Shahab-3 missiles because it can be guided toward its target, the Iranian defense minister, Hossein Dehghan, told the semiofficial Fars news agency. In recent decades, with Iran’s air force plagued by economic sanctions and other restrictions, the country has invested heavily in its nuclear program and has produced missiles that can reach as far as Europe.

We don’t seek permission from anyone to strengthen our defense and missile capabilities,” Mr. Dehghan said.

..............cool
Yeah, I think this news surprises no one but the most delusional people.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:45 PM   #460
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Hey Jihadi John, when you mess with the best, you'll die like the rest. Red, White, and BOOM. -Merica
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 05:51 PM   #461
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Paris attacks: 60 reported killed - CNN.com

We keep our head buried in the sand...
Old 11-13-2015, 08:20 PM   #462
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Paris attacks: 60 reported killed - CNN.com

We keep our head buried in the sand...
Isn't that total up to 118 now? Fucking sad assholes have to do shit like this.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 08:33 PM   #463
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Isn't that total up to 118 now? Fucking sad assholes have to do shit like this.
Pretty sad to hear folks on msnbc say don't be quick to blame Islam terrorist. Gotta love the it. Keep your head buried in the sand...that the left plan.

Folks have zero clue that Syria and Iraq have been training ground for these sick fucks. The Obama administration is complicit and don't have any fucking answers.

Like it's been mentioned b4...this is ww3. But it's easier to dismiss that thought. Forget al Qaeda...Isis is on another level.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:29 PM   #464
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

I'm ready to deploy when needes. Hooah.
Old 11-14-2015, 05:50 PM   #465
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
I'm ready to deploy when needes. Hooah.
Of course you are becuase your the best in the world.

But yet we are lead by a child who hasn't done a fucking thing the second half of his presidency and who has let these situations develop.

Folks no one should be surprised by the Paris horrific event. If you have paid attention the last couple years to the Middle East, this move has been telegraphed.