Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Redskins "Name Change" Volume 10000000

Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 10:37 PM   #31
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Re: Redskins "Name Change" Volume 10000000

I think Redskins fans should contact Indian tribes that support the name and hold a counter protest, screw the media and those a-holes with their agendas. Show people that 78% support the existing name. Sick of this shit!!

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth

Advertisements
Old 09-12-2013, 11:34 PM   #32
mike340
Special Teams

It's OK with me if they force the Redskins to change their name. My only prerequisite is that they take Andrew Jackson off the $20 bill first. If I were an Indian (my wife is 1/4), I would be much more pissed about that than about the Redskins' name.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:10 AM   #33
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Expansion LFL team!

....in the middle of Landover ? (lol)
Old 09-13-2013, 07:33 AM   #34
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
I think Redskins fans should contact Indian tribes that support the name and hold a counter protest, screw the media and those a-holes with their agendas. Show people that 78% support the existing name. Sick of this shit!!
Problem is, imo, the media would portray the larger group as the name change advocates, and make those who support the name look like the outliers.

It's a big problem when media openly advocates for any cause.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:13 AM   #35
Monkeydad
Living Legend

F...the media and politicians.

They will always be the Redskins. We'll move before the name changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post

Agreed. A Redskins jersey just broke the single-season jersey sales record. The public is not "offended".

A lot of that has to do with RGIII himself but if people were truly insulted and offended, they would not wear a jersey or shirt with the name on it. Also, if he were drafted by the Browns or Jags, sales probably would not be as high because lets be honest, who would want to wear those teams' gear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Problem is, imo, the media would portray the larger group as the name change advocates, and make those who support the name look like the outliers.

It's a big problem when media openly advocates for any cause.
No, they'd treat them like Pro-Constitution, Pro-Gun or Pro-Life supporters with good intentions that aren't on the list of trendy political causes and paint them as racists, even if they're actual Native Americans themselves.

The headline would be "Racism has spread into the Native-American tribes as they support a racist team's name!"

The media has no problem destroying the character of anyone, even if they're so wrong and dishonest about it that they look like complete fools.

Last edited by Monkeydad; 09-13-2013 at 10:20 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:22 AM   #36
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Monk Machine View Post
does dan say enough of it and put the team up for sale offering $2-2.5 billion and walk away ?

I do like the blue and red unity of Washington sports teams- Senators, bullets, capitals, nationals, but the Burgundy and gold is an integral part to the team. as is having the first fight song.
I hope you aren't suggesting Senators as a name for the Redskins...no way in hell we should name our team after the most corrupt people in the nation and the people who would be helping flush our team's tradition down a $60,000 gold-handled toilet in the Capitol Building.

If it really comes down to legally being forced to change our name (Good bye 1st Amendment), we should keep the B&G and change to Braves or Warriors. "Braves on the Warpath, Right for old D.C." will still work and it's our original name. Of course, the real racists starting this argument will probably be offended by that name too, so I guess Warriors would be something to sttle for.

But, I will never call the team by the new, "politically-correct" name whatever it is. This team will ALWAYS be the Redskins to me and I'll still cheer for the Redskins vocally.

I still have not accepted the cheesy Wizards name...I still hope the Bullets name returns but that won't happen during this Presidency obviously. Credit to them for ditching those ugly blue and gold uniforms for the new Bullets-esque set, that's how the team should look.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:36 AM   #37
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I honestly don't have the same vitriol to those who oppose the name as others do. And honestly when I hear some of the comments towards those who do oppose the name, it can be hard not to side with them
Old 09-13-2013, 10:40 AM   #38
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
I had no idea that the Oneida Nation sponsors the Packers or has a gate at Lambeau.

The Oneida Nation folks are trying hard to turn up the heat on the name issue. They may have some success.
I just wonder how much the Skins are trying to use persuasion in the background to get that percentage of tribes who are offended, to see this as now a good image. I know they publicly speak of it in those terms, but are there outreach programs in place to find those Native Americans who feel the strongest, and work with them to find an acceptance, or is it just "we are the Redskins, and it will never change".

I don't know that feelings can be changed, but I do believe that if the Skins can't get this sentiment changed, it's going to become a bigger issue as more media talking/writing heads join the minority side.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:46 AM   #39
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Comments towards the opposition? I hear no one insulting Native Americans. Most of us believe our team's identity honors them in fact. Classy logo, not a cartoonish caricature like Cleveland's.

Negative comments towards the politicians, lawyers and media are well-deserved. THEY are the ones creating a false issue and calling ME and YOU as Redskins fans racists. They're the race-baiters and the REAL racists in this issue. I do not think of skin colors and racial slurs when I see the Redskins logo or say the name, I think of a football tradition and honoring the past. Those who constantly look for racism in anything they can find it in their twisted minds just make me sick. Look how these same people (media, politicians) treat crimes involving people of different skin color...Travon Martin at the top of the list. They see EVERYTHING in teams of race first.

It's been documented over and over that actual Native Americans are not the main group "offended" and pushing this issue. If they were, I might be more sympathetic to the issue.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:53 AM   #40
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

We're not going to agree here, and I have better things to do. I'm moving on
Old 09-13-2013, 10:54 AM   #41
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
I hope you aren't suggesting Senators as a name for the Redskins...no way in hell we should name our team after the most corrupt people in the nation and the people who would be helping flush our team's tradition down a $60,000 gold-handled toilet in the Capitol Building.

If it really comes down to legally being forced to change our name (Good bye 1st Amendment), we should keep the B&G and change to Braves or Warriors. "Braves on the Warpath, Right for old D.C." will still work and it's our original name. Of course, the real racists starting this argument will probably be offended by that name too, so I guess Warriors would be something to sttle for.

But, I will never call the team by the new, "politically-correct" name whatever it is. This team will ALWAYS be the Redskins to me and I'll still cheer for the Redskins vocally.

I still have not accepted the cheesy Wizards name...I still hope the Bullets name returns but that won't happen during this Presidency obviously. Credit to them for ditching those ugly blue and gold uniforms for the new Bullets-esque set, that's how the team should look.

I agree. I actually think Braves would be the best, because it is a part of our history, already in our fight song, ect.

I'd also be fine with PigSkins/HogSkins (although I know alot of people hate it)... and as much as I can't stand him, I did think Mike Wise had a great idea of changing to the Warriors, and having it pay homage to Veterans/Wounded Warriors, ect....

That said, I hope we never change.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:55 AM   #42
MTK
\m/

Quote:
I honestly don't have the same vitriol to those who oppose the name as others do. And honestly when I hear some of the comments towards those who do oppose the name, it can be hard not to side with them
Too much emotion/bias is wrapped up in it no doubt. I know that a majority of people don't view it as a big issue based on poll numbers, but I don't think that automatically makes it insignificant or something that shouldn't at least be considered.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:59 AM   #43
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
I agree with that. I have no allegiance to the name Redskins rather to the football team that represents the city I love. Teams change names it has happened throughout the history of organized sports some of it has been voluntary others have had some sort of mutual coercion. Society, regardless of whether you agree with it or not, will always continue to change what it values
Old 09-13-2013, 11:00 AM   #44
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmanc711 View Post
I agree. I actually think Braves would be the best, because it is a part of our history, already in our fight song, ect.

I'd also be fine with PigSkins/HogSkins (although I know alot of people hate it)... and as much as I can't stand him, I did think Mike Wise had a great idea of changing to the Warriors, and having it pay homage to Veterans/Wounded Warriors, ect....

That said, I hope we never change.
I actually love that idea. Camo alternate uniform!

RGIII would be for that too, I bet. It would also make us as an organization look like the better people on this issue, which we are already. While the opposition is creating racial divides and filing lawsuits, we honor the heroes of our country.

Then, the protesters will just make new signs and show screaming that we're promoting war, violence, depressing foreign countries and guns for children. You cannot please these people, they make a living stirring up trouble and protesting. The rent-a-mobs need something to punch their timecards with.

Of course, preference is keeping our real name.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:03 AM   #45
Monkeydad
Living Legend

We could always go this route: