Romo not that good - Theismann

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-03-2012, 06:36 PM   #31
takethecake
Special Teams

Re: Romo not that good - Theismann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
I think Romo is good, but not good enough to meet the media/public expectations.
Agree. I also think that he will never win a superbowl. Not a shocking proclamation, but despite being a good QB, he just doesn't play well in December/playoffs. He also doesn't get much help from his team, but...
takethecake is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #32
hagams
Impact Rookie

Romo, as much as I hate to say is in the upper-middle class of QB's. I think Jerry Jones hit the nail on the head when he said "All our caliber guys, are running out of time". Romo has been beat up on, chewed up, and spit about by everyone in the NFL including Dallas. I don't think I can point at that team and say _____________ is holding them back. They just don't execute. At least we had a reason to suck for almost 2 decades.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:56 AM   #33
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyRedskin View Post
Romo did break Staubachs TD record the other night. But Joe's right. Romo's good but I dont think he's as good as many think.
You mean in his 5-INT game?

Having the longest leash ever to allow him to play that many games doesn't say anything about his actual abilities. Dallas has had to play from behind a lot too thanks to Jerry's mismanagement of the team. They've had a RBBC in the backfield for years and have been a pass-first team. Jon Kitna would have put up those same numbers without the boneheaded, game-costing errors. Kyle Orton would probably be an upgrade honestly. They should try him out as the starter before the season ends...he'd be a cheaper option going forward and they could make the upgrades in his supporting cast that they need.

Romo was a nice story, being undrafted and starting...but the experiment should be over after 10 years. How many playoff games have they won with Romo? One. They've only won one playoff game since 1997. Even we've won two playoff games in that span without a franchise QB. They're 1-4 under Romo in the playoffs. He's not the answer. Unforunately for Dallas, when Jerry Jones selects his "guys", he sticks with them stubbornly for longer than makes sense because he hates to be wrong. This is why Romo is still their QB and why Jason Garrett is still the head coach. Garrett should have been nothing more than an interim coach. Rob Ryan or Bill Callahan would be better and are more qualified. I think one of them will take over this season when Garrett is so bad he has to be fired. It's an interesting scenario when the assistant coaches are more qualified than the head coach. It makes you wonder if Jones hired them as fallbacks for Garrett, so he can promote one of them rather than having to look outside of the organization...like Jones is expecting Garrett to fail despite his public manlove for him.

Staubach was infinitely better than Romo.

Last edited by Monkeydad; 10-04-2012 at 10:09 AM.
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:05 AM   #34
firstdown
Living Legend

Romo is just good enough for Dallas to keep hanging on to him and thinking he can take them to the SB. Fine with me because I feel he has proven over and over he is good enough to be looked at as a star QB but chokes when it counts.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:09 AM   #35
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
You mean in his 5-INT game?

Having the longest leash ever to allow him to play that many games doesn't say anything about his actual abilities. Dallas has had to play from behind a lot too thanks to Jerry's mismanagement of the team. They've had a RBBC in the backfield for years and have been a pass-first team. Jon Kitna would have put up those same numbers without the boneheaded, game-costing errors. Kyle Orton would probably be an upgrade honestly. They should try him out as the starter before the season ends...he'd be a cheaper option going forward and they could make the upgrades in his supporting cast that they need.

Romo was a nice story, being undrafted and starting...but the experiment should be over after 10 years. How many playoff games have they won with Romo? One. They've only won one playoff game since 1997. Even we've won two playoff games in that span without a franchise QB. They're 1-4 under Romo in the playoffs. He's not the answer. Unforunately for Dallas, when Jerry Jones selects his "guys", he sticks with them stubbornly for longer than makes sense because he hates to be wrong. This is why Romo is still their QB and why Jason Garrett is still the head coach.

Staubach was infinitely better than Romo.
Not to stand up for Jerry but wasn't it the Bill P who pulled Romo off the bench and made him the starter. Now he is playing good enough to be the starter but not good enough to take them to the SB.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:33 AM   #36
CrustyRedskin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Not to stand up for Jerry but wasn't it the Bill P who pulled Romo off the bench and made him the starter. Now he is playing good enough to be the starter but not good enough to take them to the SB.
For a few years down here they thought Bill Parcells found him in a manger wrapped in swaddling clothes.

HTTR. You wern't a bunch of losers on 10-27-14.
CrustyRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:02 AM   #37
53Fan
Franchise Player

Romo's like a box of chocolates.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:31 AM   #38
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

I hope when Garrett is done after this year, they hire Ryan so that he can turn the Cowboys into same the sh**storm that his brother has turned the Jets into.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:37 PM   #39
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Romo truly showed against the Bears why he went undrafted.
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:40 PM   #40
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
Romo truly showed against the Bears why he went undrafted.
21,982 yards passing with 154 TDs and a 95.9 rating for his career so far says otherwise
Old 10-04-2012, 12:44 PM   #41
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
21,982 yards passing with 154 TDs and a 95.9 rating for his career so far says otherwise
Mattyk, I know good and well Tony Romo has had a stellar career. I was just making mockery of the Dallas Cowboys starting quarterback. LOL
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:46 PM   #42
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
I hope when Garrett is done after this year, they hire Ryan so that he can turn the Cowboys into same the sh**storm that his brother has turned the Jets into.
Maybe then can hire both Ryans and Really turn it into a show. Imagine Hard Knocks with the Ryan brothers.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:20 PM   #43
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Plus keep Rob. Watching the brothers argue in-game on the sidelines will be priceless.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #44
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Put Romo in Seattle, Carolina or Jacksonville with the same talent he has and he would be considered on the level of a Matt Hasselbeck. He's a decent QB who can put up good numbers but is not clutch, has a .600 career winning percentage (but if you take away one 13 win season as an anomaly is much closer to .500) and hasn't distinguished himself as an upper level QB. What Theismann was saying is that Romo is considered better than he actually is because of the star on his helmet, which is completely true.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:41 PM   #45
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote