Super Lin-tendo!

Other Sports

Old 02-21-2012, 06:51 PM   #31
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: Super Lin-tendo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by itvnetop View Post
Great, great piece. your right, thanks for sharing.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-21-2012, 07:11 PM   #32
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Reflections on ESPN's apologies, actions - Poynter Review Project Blog Blog - ESPN
Old 02-22-2012, 11:00 AM   #33
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Quote:

I don’t think Plaschke nails anything.

Hes using a stereotype, that Asians wont push back because they’re not a vocal minority, for his argument as to why stereotypes against Asian Americans seem to be more acceptable. Asian Americans, and the Chinese/Taiwanese in particular, are the “model minority” in the US, and can be considered one of the most “successful” racial groups within the US by many measures. Their average incomes are greater than the US population at large, they are the most educated and they are the least incarcerated. So perhaps being at the top of the US food chain, so to speak, makes it okay in some people’s mind to playfully stereotype them. Of all the disgraceful and distasteful stereotypes cast at Lin I don’t remember hearing or seeing any that were actually hateful or mean spirited, many may have been ignorant and dumb but I don’t think any were cast with malice. However, Asian Americans are also a pretty small population so Plaschke may have a point in that they are unable to vocally defend themselves, but I would be hesitant to imply its because they lack ability or motive as a people.

I thought about if the ESPN guy should have been fired last night and although I think the termination was severe i understand it. At the end of the day he is an editor and its his responsibility not to print written word that can be misconstrued. The racial pun in the headline could have been a terrible one but it was made completely by accident. People who caught it and thought something that hateful could have been printed on purpose are either overly sensitive or racist towards Asians. But ESPN, like all media outlets, cater to everyone including the overly sensitive and its an editors responsibility to best represent and protect his employer with all viewers. Unfortunately with the over PCness in our country he needs to be perfect when putting something into print.

I completely disagree with the suspension of Max Bretos. Just watch and listen to it, nothing should be misinterpreted by what he said and how he said it. Its ridiculous that certain phrases cant be used in conjunction with certain people. If we are all walking around thinking about stereotypes we need to avoid when speaking all were doing is stereotyping people internally. Its one thing to type something and catch a mistake before you publish it, it’s another to say something with no ill intentions in a none defamatory way and get in trouble for it. Its ridiculous. Also apparently Max Bretos’s wife is Asian American. I guess she should consider divorcing him if using the same judgment employed by ESPN.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:08 AM   #34
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Great read, totally agree
Old 02-22-2012, 12:30 PM   #35
CrazyCanuck
Serenity Now

There have definitely been some offensive remarks thrown around and I think ESPN has handled the situation pretty well.

But political correctness is always a fine line:

Seinfeld and Native American - YouTube

Last edited by CrazyCanuck; 02-22-2012 at 12:31 PM.
CrazyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:39 PM   #36
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

And then there's this:

Old 02-22-2012, 12:40 PM   #37
MTK
\m/

ugh dumb people
Old 02-22-2012, 02:26 PM   #38
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

TwitLonger — When you talk too much for Twitter
Old 02-22-2012, 02:34 PM   #39
mredskins
Gamebreaker

I just saw the interview with him on ESPN today. He seems like a really cool guy, sports needs more Lin.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:02 PM   #40
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
And then there's this:

IDK bout LIN but I'd take her out
Old 02-22-2012, 06:20 PM   #41
itvnetop
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
I don’t think Plaschke nails anything.

Hes using a stereotype, that Asians wont push back because they’re not a vocal minority, for his argument as to why stereotypes against Asian Americans seem to be more acceptable. Asian Americans, and the Chinese/Taiwanese in particular, are the “model minority” in the US, and can be considered one of the most “successful” racial groups within the US by many measures. Their average incomes are greater than the US population at large, they are the most educated and they are the least incarcerated. So perhaps being at the top of the US food chain, so to speak, makes it okay in some people’s mind to playfully stereotype them. Of all the disgraceful and distasteful stereotypes cast at Lin I don’t remember hearing or seeing any that were actually hateful or mean spirited, many may have been ignorant and dumb but I don’t think any were cast with malice. However, Asian Americans are also a pretty small population so Plaschke may have a point in that they are unable to vocally defend themselves, but I would be hesitant to imply its because they lack ability or motive as a people.
If you're open to it, I could refer you to some books regarding Asian American social issues. Ability has never been the problem. "Motive as a people" is definitely an issue. Lack of political/social activism is totally apparent in the pan-AA community. The attributes you mention (salary, education, etc) is a direct byproduct of a general immigrant mentality brought over from Asia (particularly China, Taiwan and South Korea). I'm glad you mentioned the MMI- while this may seem like a "good" stereotype... it's actually not. Whether you agreed with Affirmative Action or not, the MMI negated a specific minority afforded others- I'm not defending Affirmative Action, just putting into context what MMI actually elicits.

While it's true certain groups excel in education, others (notably SE Asians) have a far different experience (economically). Silly as it sounds, the MMI backlash featured a movement within the UC-system during Affirmative Action's heyday that promoted SE Asians being "excluded" from "Asian American" (just to gain certain advantages unafforded AAs). While the AA (specifically non-SE Asians) may land in a higher tax bracket, the entire group faces a harder glass ceiling than any social group.

Political apathy permeates the community because of the MMI mentality: Immigrants enter the States, work hard, never "buck" the system, teach their kids the same way. This mentality stems from the Eastern philosophy that group importance always takes precedence over individualism (a Western emphasis). In China, the proverbial "nail that sticks out gets hammered." In America, the same nail often gets rewarded. Is it any wonder why AA social activism pretty much starts and ends within university?

Of course, immigrant parents have huge influence on their children's futures. Many parents believe careers in entertainment, media or politics aren't lucrative/feasible for sustaining successful careers. I believe these fields are the front lines for social change- as generations pass, the representation will naturally increase.

Quote:
I completely disagree with the suspension of Max Bretos. Just watch and listen to it, nothing should be misinterpreted by what he said and how he said it. Its ridiculous that certain phrases cant be used in conjunction with certain people. If we are all walking around thinking about stereotypes we need to avoid when speaking all were doing is stereotyping people internally. Its one thing to type something and catch a mistake before you publish it, it’s another to say something with no ill intentions in a none defamatory way and get in trouble for it. Its ridiculous. Also apparently Max Bretos’s wife is Asian American. I guess she should consider divorcing him if using the same judgment employed by ESPN.
I've spoken with several African American buddies on this point: If a writer published the following line (with no intention of offending anyone), would they be angry: "The Alabama defense played niggardly against LSU." Every single one of them said they would. Technically, "niggardly" is an appropriate description of how the Crimson Tide D played in the 'ship. But it's difficult for me to fathom how a writer or editor (of all people) can't foresee the possible double entendre. Point being, who's to say what constitutes a level of ridiculousness?

my blather

Last edited by itvnetop; 02-22-2012 at 06:29 PM.
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:27 PM   #42
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
And then there's this:

lolololololololol Jerry Lin? Giants? lolololololololol

does FSU let anybody in these days? wow

...id still rock that though

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:27 PM   #43
itvnetop
Playmaker

Quote:
And then there's this:

Lin should just show up at her sorority house in a tux... and his brother should record the whole thing on an iPhone, just for her reaction when she sees he's a) not black and b) not a football player.

my blather
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:57 PM   #44
NM Redskin
The Starter

Quote:
If you're open to it, I could refer you to some books regarding Asian American social issues. Ability has never been the problem. "Motive as a people" is definitely an issue. Lack of political/social activism is totally apparent in the pan-AA community. The attributes you mention (salary, education, etc) is a direct byproduct of a general immigrant mentality brought over from Asia (particularly China, Taiwan and South Korea). I'm glad you mentioned the MMI- while this may seem like a "good" stereotype... it's actually not. Whether you agreed with Affirmative Action or not, the MMI negated a specific minority afforded others- I'm not defending Affirmative Action, just putting into context what MMI actually elicits.

While it's true certain groups excel in education, others (notably SE Asians) have a far different experience (economically). Silly as it sounds, the MMI backlash featured a movement within the UC-system during Affirmative Action's heyday that promoted SE Asians being "excluded" from "Asian American" (just to gain certain advantages unafforded AAs). While the AA (specifically non-SE Asians) may land in a higher tax bracket, the entire group faces a harder glass ceiling than any social group.

Political apathy permeates the community because of the MMI mentality: Immigrants enter the States, work hard, never "buck" the system, teach their kids the same way. This mentality stems from the Eastern philosophy that group importance always takes precedence over individualism (a Western emphasis). In China, the proverbial "nail that sticks out gets hammered." In America, the same nail often gets rewarded. Is it any wonder why AA social activism pretty much starts and ends within university?

Of course, immigrant parents have huge influence on their children's futures. Many parents believe careers in entertainment, media or politics aren't lucrative/feasible for sustaining successful careers. I believe these fields are the front lines for social change- as generations pass, the representation will naturally increase.

I've spoken with several African American buddies on this point: If a writer published the following line (with no intention of offending anyone), would they be angry: "The Alabama defense played niggardly against LSU." Every single one of them said they would. Technically, "niggardly" is an appropriate description of how the Crimson Tide D played in the 'ship. But it's difficult for me to fathom how a writer or editor (of all people) can't foresee the possible double entendre. Point being, who's to say what constitutes a level of ridiculousness?
Thanks for posting this, very interesting.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:24 PM   #45
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Quote:

We just don't care because it is not emphasized as a matter of importance and it's a waste of time when we could be making money.

Quote:
And those three areas are indeed more risky career tracks, with the last of the third being full of bullshit and mongering.

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote