Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Cerrato's Not (Just) Incompetent - He's Oblivioius (Offensive Line / Dysfunctional Coaching Staff Related)

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-23-2009, 03:17 PM   #31
FRPLG
MVP

Re: Cerrato's Not (Just) Incompetent - He's Oblivioius (Offensive Line / Dysfunctional Coaching Staff Related)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Do we need to draft an OL in the first round though to build the line? Why can't we draft OL in the 2nd round, trade for a pick in the 3rd and draft another there (RB in the 4th), OL in the 5th round?
Yeah I think talking in such absolutes, as I have and others too, isn't very realistic. It's going to come down to making the best decisions we can given the situation. If we can land a starting T and G later in the draft and there is a stud QB there for us then yeah we do it.But it's probably more likely the the least risky route is to get a good T in 1 and go from there.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-23-2009, 03:22 PM   #32
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

Re: Cerrato's Not (Just) Incompetent - He's Oblivioius (Offensive Line / Dysfunctional Coaching Staff Related)

Quote:
Do we need to draft an OL in the first round though to build the line? Why can't we draft OL in the 2nd round, trade for a pick in the 3rd and draft another there (RB in the 4th), OL in the 5th round?
That depends on who's making the pick IMO. If it's Vinny, yeah we do. He only seems to be good in the first and seventh.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:24 PM   #33
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
I have heard Buges several times before this season and last season saying how strong we where along the O line. That leads me to believe that just maybe Buges could be part of the problem and Cerrato not persuing more lines players based of what Buges is telling him.
Either that or he just doesn't want to publicly say that he only has scrubs to deal with.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:51 PM   #34
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
your logic scares me, knock it off, we don't like that kinda thinkin around here

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 04:12 PM   #35
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
If we want players the caliber of Russell Okung we do. Why not try to get the best o-line we can for once?
Old 11-23-2009, 04:33 PM   #36
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
If we want players the caliber of Russell Okung we do. Why not try to get the best o-line we can for once?
Especially given the success of first-round tackles over the past couple of seasons, I don't see why we can't get a franchise tackle.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 04:34 PM   #37
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Do we want one stud or quality across the line, depth included?
Old 11-23-2009, 04:37 PM   #38
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Especially given the success of first-round tackles over the past couple of seasons, I don't see why we can't get a franchise tackle.
The tackle position is not only important, it also has a relatively high percentage of draft success, as you indicate.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 04:40 PM   #39
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
I think both...however, given the fact that we haven't been able to produce a tackle of the future with the young players we've brought in and that we lost our franchise tackle, I believe we need a stud tackle.

We also need management competent enough to add depth during the lower rounds and/or free agency (like what Parcells did in Miami).
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 04:45 PM   #40
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
If we only needed DEPTH along the O-line, I would agree with you. However, we don't JUST need depth. We also need multiple STARTERS along the line.

Personally, I think our best bet is to trade down (what else is new?) in the first round, pick up a 2nd rounder and then use our first 3 picks (all in rounds 1 and 2) on a starting OT, a QB who can start in 2011, and another OL. Its going to take us a couple of years to fix this thing, so we might as well do it right. Our first priorities are drafting a QB of the future (not the present) and building a solid offensive line (starters - rounds 1-2) with good depth (backups - developmental guys in rounds 3-7).
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:39 PM   #41
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
A first round stud and depth from the second or 3rd rounds. I wouldn't be opposed to drafting more than one 0-lineman. That seems to be what we do with receivers and LB's.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:47 PM   #42
rbanerjee23
The Starter

I would like to see us trade the 1st for a later 1st and 2nd/3rd or multiple 2nd's and 3rd's given how high we will be in the draft. Use at least 3 picks for OL with 2 for tackles and 1 for guard or center. Use a later pick to get a decent qb or honestly, just stick with JC.
Most important step, get rid of Bugel, that guy sucks he took Stephon Heyer and regressed him, took Dockery and regressed him, took Rhinehart and did nothing with him so Buges is a big problem in my mind.

Sure it will take a couple of years but so what, instead of trying to patch up the team, build it from the ground floor up and give up the next year or two.

-Mike Shanahan

HTTR
rbanerjee23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:23 PM   #43
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbanerjee23 View Post
I would like to see us trade the 1st for a later 1st and 2nd/3rd or multiple 2nd's and 3rd's given how high we will be in the draft. Use at least 3 picks for OL with 2 for tackles and 1 for guard or center. Use a later pick to get a decent qb or honestly, just stick with JC.
Most important step, get rid of Bugel, that guy sucks he took Stephon Heyer and regressed him, took Dockery and regressed him, took Rhinehart and did nothing with him so Buges is a big problem in my mind.

Sure it will take a couple of years but so what, instead of trying to patch up the team, build it from the ground floor up and give up the next year or two.
In general, I like this idea.. Although I don't know if we should trade our pick for later 1st round; it depends on who's available.. If one of top LTs is available when it's our turn, we MUST draft him.. But if there isn't any available, then I wouldn't oppose to trading the pick, but only to acquire the picks to draft more o-line men.. I have been saying for a while that we most definitely should resign Campbell (only to 1 or 2 years) and try to sign a best free agent QB available to push Campbell..

As for Buges, I don't know what the situation really is.. Some people re saying that it's because of Buges.. While others re saying that it's because of Vinny's stupidity.. But we most definitely have to give Buges some benefit of doubts, only because what he had done for Redskins franchise.. Although I do agree that it's probably better scenario for Buges and Redskins to apart after this season.. It's time to revamp the coaches, and let Zorn or our new head coach (handpicked by our new GM) pick his own coaches.. The only coaches I would like the head coach to keep is Danny Smith and Jerry Gray..
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:50 PM   #44
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbanerjee23 View Post
I would like to see us trade one or more of our lesser-attitude players and get a pick or two so that we don't have to trade down in the first. We perhaps could get another Chris Samuels that way and have picks to boot.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:52 PM   #45
mlmdub130
Playmaker

it is truely gonna come down to who is there, and who fits our team, i have thought that we should draft an o lineman, in the first round and a qb second cause there are alot of great qb's this year, but at the same time smootsmack is right if the right qb is there might as well take him then draft lineman, main thing is we need someone who can legitimatly asess talent instead of a bugged raquetball partner

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote