Mason to Ravens

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-01-2008, 10:58 AM   #31
MTK
\m/

Re: Mason to Ravens

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
btw, rock had a 7.9ypc average this preseason with 6 catches and 0 fumbles (compared to mason's 4.8ypc and 1 fumble lost), so wtf were you watching?

Do me a favour and take out the 79yrd run he had and then review the numbers. He only had one great run the whole preseason. I'll admit he's one of the best kick returners.

Perhaps I smoked something through all the yrs, even though I can't remember what it was, LOL, but I remember a lot of people talking about and seeing how Rock likes to run East/West behind the line and lose yardage. Betts will put the ball on the ground atleast once at the most inopportune time possibly causing us the game. Portis has been the only shinning light. Why do you think none of our coach's seemed to make either the featured back? Oh coach's raved about both then got let down during game situations. Look we had Allen yrs ago. Then had to pick up Portis.
Say wha? What are you even talking about?

Advertisements
Old 09-01-2008, 11:16 AM   #32
SBXVII
Franchise Player

I'll admit Rock's probably not as bad as I'm making him out to be but not as good as your making him out to be. He's somewhere in between. Yes he probably could fill in in a pinch. A couple of runs while some one is getting looked at is fine, but I wouldn't depend on him for a whole yr. If you look at his 2005 yr, his only other great yr, he was #2 RB behind Betts due to Portis's injury.

I guess I'm just babbling. LOL. He's a good #2. but so would Mason have been.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:30 AM   #33
skinsfan_nn
Playmaker

Quote:
I'll admit Rock's probably not as bad as I'm making him out to be but not as good as your making him out to be. He's somewhere in between. Yes he probably could fill in in a pinch. A couple of runs while some one is getting looked at is fine, but I wouldn't depend on him for a whole yr. If you look at his 2005 yr, his only other great yr, he was #2 RB behind Betts due to Portis's injury.

I guess I'm just babbling. LOL. He's a good #2. but so would Mason have been.
And your basing that on what? His showing in pre-season. Or his time on the practice squad last season?

How can you think for a minute the guy would be a #2 when you have zero body of NFL regular season work to base that on?
"There's no greater feeling than moving a man from Point A to Point B, against his will." #68

THANKS COACH GIBBS FOR EVERYTHING! YOUR THE MAN AND ALWAYS WILL BE!
skinsfan_nn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:33 AM   #34
dmvskinzfan08
Impact Rookie

I think we should sign him back of the Ravens PS. For this reason. If Portis or Betts get hurt this year. What would we do? Say if Portis gets hurt. God forbid and Betts isn't running that well.. we would be S.O.L. What if Betts got hurt? Who would spell Portis? Are we that comfortable with Rock as the RB that comes in to spell Portis? or Betts? Just throwing itout there. Rock is excellent on special teams..Its funny its like Masons weaknesses is Rocks strengths and Mason strengths are Rocks weaknesses. Think we should have kept him and cut Tryon. IMO.
HTTR 09 - RIP#21
HATERS << Misery Loves Company
dmvskinzfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:36 AM   #35
dmvskinzfan08
Impact Rookie

Quote:
McMullen has some good video during his stay with us so he might make a practice squad somewhere.
Dont be suprised if the Cowboys pick him up...
HTTR 09 - RIP#21
HATERS << Misery Loves Company
dmvskinzfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 12:10 PM   #36
Skinz4life
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmvskinzfan08 View Post
I think we should sign him back of the Ravens PS. For this reason. If Portis or Betts get hurt this year. What would we do? Say if Portis gets hurt. God forbid and Betts isn't running that well.. we would be S.O.L. What if Betts got hurt? Who would spell Portis? Are we that comfortable with Rock as the RB that comes in to spell Portis? or Betts? Just throwing itout there. Rock is excellent on special teams..Its funny its like Masons weaknesses is Rocks strengths and Mason strengths are Rocks weaknesses. Think we should have kept him and cut Tryon. IMO.

I just got an email from Rotoworld fantasty football and they are claiming that Mason has already been cut by the Ravens, so if we want him he's available again.

Last edited by Skinz4life; 09-01-2008 at 12:20 PM.
Skinz4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 03:18 PM   #37
That Guy
Living Legend

mason's on the PS, we can have him at any time until someone puts him on an actual 53 man roster...

and i don't know how anyone can say he'll be great in the NFL with 0 experience against actual starters in the regular season.

he's soo good he can't beat out our #3, so who cares?

you remember last year when lumsden was going to be a probowler?
this year's hype on anthony mix?
how about sultan mccullough in 2004?
tim hasslebeck and his 0.0 QB rating vs dallas? people wanted him to be our full time starter...

i mean, there are about 10 more examples, but just because a coach talks a guy up in preseason before cutting him doesn't make him good or worth worrying about. this is just another pointless (and silly) preseason mancrush on a player that's just not that great.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 03:48 PM   #38
skinsfan_nn
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinz4life View Post
I just got an email from Rotoworld fantasty football and they are claiming that Mason has already been cut by the Ravens, so if we want him he's available again.
Mason has not been released from the ravens PS. They have released CB David Pittman with an injury settlement.

Baltimore Ravens News - Ravens sign tackle, kicker and former Redskins' RB

Baltimore Ravens : Rotoworld.com - Baltimore Ravens News from Rotoworld.com
"There's no greater feeling than moving a man from Point A to Point B, against his will." #68

THANKS COACH GIBBS FOR EVERYTHING! YOUR THE MAN AND ALWAYS WILL BE!
skinsfan_nn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 01:39 PM   #39
SBXVII
Franchise Player

I'll give you another example.....why did we retain Broughten....he has not shown anything either. and.....every year he gets cut. He's an injury waiting to happen. Tryon sucked during preseason. Exactly what did he do to show he should be on the team?

I was a Mix supporter, but my support dwindled when he couldn't catch a cold. However, McMullen did a good enough job to land him the 6 position that we don't have ...but went out and picked up a no name from the Colts after they trash him. Atleast McMullen already knew the scheme, routes, and the QB.

All I was suggesting is if we are going to get rid of a one demensional RB then we should get rid of all the one demensional RB's. Wouldn't that be fair. Lets see...Portis runs well and blocks well....depending on who you talk to. He's a keeper. Betts is a good runner and a mediocre blocker. He's a nice #2. Neither are on special teams though....thats a negative.

Mason was a good RB and mediocre at blocking (sound familiar), and terrible on punt/kick returns. Rock excellent on kick/punt returns and mediocre at RB and terrible at blocking. I guess you are right..if Rock wanted to make the team he better be good at something no one else is. and I base my theory on all the yrs I've watched the Skins, not just preseason. It's also not just about the numbers he puts up. It's about how well he runs the ball. If he would stop dancing behind the line and simply run the ball through the whole (as Portis does, Betts does, and Mason did) then he might gain more yardage. The problem with Rock is he's always looking to break the big one and we end up with several "caught at or behind the line of scrimage" plays before we get the "big one" where he gets a 50-70 yrd run. I would rather have a consistent RB then have one who dances in the back field.

It all goes back to what the coach's want though. They are always looking at the guy who might break one loose at any given time. but I digress back to my real issue which was if the team wanted to get younger as they say then Mason should have been on the team. The other 3 all came out of the same draft and are almost 8-10 yrs in the league. They could have developed Mason as a kick/punt returner on the practice squad. Unless he's truely that ignorant.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:41 PM   #40
T-Vo
Camp Scrub

We're paying Rock too much to cut him and there just wasn't any room for Mason. I wish him all the best with the Ravens
T-Vo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 01:49 PM   #41
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
I was a Mix supporter, but my support dwindled when he couldn't catch a cold. However, McMullen did a good enough job to land him the 6 position that we don't have ...but went out and picked up a no name from the Colts after they trash him. Atleast McMullen already knew the scheme, routes, and the QB.
We signed a WR for the practice squad. It's not the same thing

Wouldn't be surprised if the Skins re-sign McMullen down the line, if necessary. For now though, I really don't think he's needed.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:59 PM   #42
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
We signed a WR for the practice squad. It's not the same thing

Wouldn't be surprised if the Skins re-sign McMullen down the line, if necessary. For now though, I really don't think he's needed.
I was simply suggesting that it would have been better to sign someone who already knows the plays and scheme to practice squad vs signing someone who doesn't have a clue. In case (god forbid) someone gets hurt he could step up instead of us having to hunt him down and sign him.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:01 PM   #43
MTK
\m/

Quote:
I'll give you another example.....why did we retain Broughten....he has not shown anything either. and.....every year he gets cut. He's an injury waiting to happen. Tryon sucked during preseason. Exactly what did he do to show he should be on the team?

All I was suggesting is if we are going to get rid of a one demensional RB then we should get rid of all the one demensional RB's. Wouldn't that be fair. Lets see...Portis runs well and blocks well....depending on who you talk to. He's a keeper. Betts is a good runner and a mediocre blocker. He's a nice #2. Neither are on special teams though....thats a negative.

Mason was a good RB and mediocre at blocking (sound familiar), and terrible on punt/kick returns. Rock excellent on kick/punt returns and mediocre at RB and terrible at blocking. I guess you are right..if Rock wanted to make the team he better be good at something no one else is. and I base my theory on all the yrs I've watched the Skins, not just preseason. It's also not just about the numbers he puts up. It's about how well he runs the ball. If he would stop dancing behind the line and simply run the ball through the whole (as Portis does, Betts does, and Mason did) then he might gain more yardage. The problem with Rock is he's always looking to break the big one and we end up with several "caught at or behind the line of scrimage" plays before we get the "big one" where he gets a 50-70 yrd run. I would rather have a consistent RB then have one who dances in the back field.

It all goes back to what the coach's want though. They are always looking at the guy who might break one loose at any given time. but I digress back to my real issue which was if the team wanted to get younger as they say then Mason should have been on the team. The other 3 all came out of the same draft and are almost 8-10 yrs in the league. They could have developed Mason as a kick/punt returner on the practice squad. Unless he's truely that ignorant.
Your case for Mason is getting a little tired.

A 3rd string RB really isn't worth all this trouble. In the end Rock won out because he brings more to the table in terms of special teams play.

The team kept all 10 draft picks... I'd say that's quite the youth movement. Keeping or letting Mason go wasn't going to make or break the team in regard to that.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:02 PM   #44
SBXVII
Franchise Player

I guess I should just stop whinning. LOL. He's gone, not coming back, and I'm bitter. Oh well. I usually don't get behind any one player but I did kinda root for this kid to make the team. Back to my screw the players they'll get paid and "Go Team" mentality.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:06 PM   #45
MTK
\m/

Mason was a good story this summer no doubt. However we've seen plenty of feel good stories over the years and how many of them turned into the superstars we hoped they would? None that I can recall. Guys like Sultan McCullough, Mike Espy, Jesse Lumsden, etc. were all training camp heroes that haven't panned out. I'm sure I'm missing many more.