Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Campbell Needs To Be Cut

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-13-2009, 07:39 PM   #1
davy
Impact Rookie

Re: Campbell Needs To Be Cut

Have to admit I'm having a rethink on Campbell too. Perhaps it was just the awful playcalling by Zorn that made him look so bad.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:40 PM   #2
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by davy View Post
Have to admit I'm having a rethink on Campbell too. Perhaps it was just the awful playcalling by Zorn that made him look so bad.
his accuracy doen't have much to do with play calling though

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 07:48 PM   #3
davy
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmdub130 View Post
his accuracy doen't have much to do with play calling though
That's true.

I'm not saying he doesn't have his faults. Throwing behind his receivers still happens way too often but he looks a lot better with decent playcalling.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:42 PM   #4
Bigreds77
Special Teams

Glad to JC playing well.
Bigreds77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 07:45 PM   #5
Ruhskins
Living Legend

My question to Paul Tenorio from the Washington Post...

Quote:
Columbia, Md.: Can you guys in the media please please do your best to convince the front office to draft a tackle with that first rounder? We need to keep Campbell and get him a good line in front of him.

Paul Tenorio: A lot of people feel this way (including myself) but I've heard the argument, including from some of my colleagues, that if a franchise-changing quarterback is available they should take them. That they'd be stupid to pass. I disagree. I think the Redskins need to go o-line, but they have scouted first-round QBs and so I wouldn't be surprised to see them go that way in April...
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 07:48 PM   #6
GTripp0012
Living Legend

There will be plenty of "franchise-changing" passers out there, but I'm not sure the Raiders model is the one we would be trying to follow.

...pauses for laughs.

Seriously, we're going to have to address the real issues at some point. And quarterback play is one of those issues, mostly because Campbell gets the crap beat out of him and no matter how tough he is, he's not very good at protecting himself as not to get injured. Right now, Todd Collins is always a run-of-the-mill hit away from playing in an NFL game, and that's unacceptable for an NFL franchise.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:50 PM   #7
Longtimefan
Playmaker

This offense along with Jason Campbell can be very effective when they block and execute. The young players are finally grasping the offense and their role in it, the last two weeks are perfect examples. Jason took some hits today and still had a good outing.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 07:51 PM   #8
dmek25
MVP

rebuild the line, and lets see what kind of qback we have. i hate all of the other options, except for Pike. and rookies take a couple of seasons to flourish
Old 12-13-2009, 07:52 PM   #9
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Still want to see Campbell step it up in more pressure situations. As in last Sunday when he ended up throwing that critical late game interception against the Saints.

I do like him though and think he can be a great QB in this league. And if it's for us then that's great, I just us want us to decide once and for all this spring. Either sign him to a long-term extension and say this is our guy. Or let him go. I don't think his fate is pre-ordained.

I think Campbell has benefited from a few things, including Sherman Lewis coming on board and Chris Meidt working more closely with him in recent weeks. Meidt the key to Campbell's success-who knew?

But what's not really being mentioned is how the team has overall benefited from a) Portis being hurt-which forces the coaches to open things up a bit instead of just handing the ball to Portis repeatedly and b) (and I think this one is the bigger one) Cooley being hurt. I don't think we're a better team w/o Cooley in the lineup. I just think that Campbell (and the coaches) finally have to use the other weapons on the team instead of just going to the comfort of Cooley every time. And that's helped not only Campbell but others like Thomas and Davis as well. Cooley's injury, in my opinion, is the best thing to happen to this offense this year
Old 12-13-2009, 07:55 PM   #10
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Still want to see Campbell step it up in more pressure situations. As in last Sunday when he ended up throwing that critical late game interception against the Saints.

I do like him though and think he can be a great QB in this league. And if it's for us then that's great, I just us want us to decide once and for all this spring. Either sign him to a long-term extension and say this is our guy. Or let him go. I don't think his fate is pre-ordained.

I think Campbell has benefited from a few things, including Sherman Lewis coming on board and Chris Meidt working more closely with him in recent weeks. Meidt the key to Campbell's success-who knew?

But what's not really being mentioned is how the team has overall benefited from a) Portis being hurt-which forces the coaches to open things up a bit instead of just handing the ball to Portis repeatedly and b) (and I think this one is the bigger one) Cooley being hurt. I don't think we're a better team w/o Cooley in the lineup. I just think that Campbell (and the coaches) finally have to use the other weapons on the team instead of just going to the comfort of Cooley every time. And that's helped not only Campbell but others like Thomas and Davis as well. Cooley's injury, in my opinion, is the best thing to happen to this offense this year
Also agree completely. I don't think any of this happens if Portis and Cooley stayed healthy for the entire season. As bad as that sounds it's given much needed opportunities for Davis, Thomas, and the RB depth to show what they've got.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:58 PM   #11
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
I disagree. And while I agree with your point about pressure situations and that, certainly, Campbell deserves no special sense of entitlement based on a 4-game stretch where he's ultimately 1-3, I don't think he ever controlled his fate here. That is to say: it, in fact, was pre-ordained.

Ultimately, his struggles in pressure situations boil down mostly to small sample size, but it would be much easier to write them off had he gone even 1-2 in those last three games.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:00 PM   #12
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:

I remember when Shockey was traded it was a great help to Eli. That was for a different reason, he was demanding the ball and limiting Eli. But the point seems valid a good/great TE is a security blanket for a team, and a qb. Losing him opened up a lot of other options.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:06 PM   #13
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
On this point, we're in complete agreement. And there's no way this could have happened without injuries to our safety blankets, unfortunately. When he comes back, Cooley is going to have to find a new niche in this offense as starting TE, who doesn't command all the defensive attention, but still needs to produce to his contract.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:54 PM   #14
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
On this point, we're in complete agreement. And there's no way this could have happened without injuries to our safety blankets, unfortunately. When he comes back, Cooley is going to have to find a new niche in this offense as starting TE, who doesn't command all the defensive attention, but still needs to produce to his contract.
I'd like to see how you cover Davis and Cooley and the field at the same time. Better yet I'd like to see us be smart in the way we make that work. Davis has proven he is a starting caliber TE in this league. He is going to have to be on the field.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:18 PM   #15
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Quote:

Well said Smack. I don't see how anyone who knows anything at all about football cannot see the difference in the way this team has played since the second half of the Atlanta game. Zorn, with whatever defeciencies he may have is keeping this team together and playing hard, he deserves his share of credit for being able to acomplish that. I have been proud of the way this team has playes the last few weeks.