Republicans rally against 'war on religious freedom'

Debating with the enemy

Old 01-28-2013, 05:31 PM   #1
firstdown
Living Legend

Re: Republicans rally against 'war on religious freedom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
The title says republicans but from what I saw from a quick glance the article had two people they interviewed.
Funny I made the post prior to this one and then saw this post of mine. Seems we have an on going thing of the left trying to make these things out as something they are not.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:34 PM   #2
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Funny I made the post prior to this one and then saw this post of mine. Seems we have an on going thing of the left trying to make these things out as something they are not.
I am against both parties. Neither represent me.
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:12 PM   #3
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Republicans.....FFS!

Arizona Republicans Propose Bill Requiring Belief In God To Graduate High School

A group of Arizona politicians — all Republicans, of course — have proposed a law (House Bill 2467) requiring public high school students to recite the following oath in order to graduate:

I, _______, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge these duties; So help me God.

It’s bad enough the Republicans are demanding loyalty of the kind normally reserved for members of Congress and beyond. If this bill were to become a law, atheists would either not be allowed to graduate…or they would be forced to lie so they could graduate. Neither option is acceptable.

Amen, to that! J/K!

Last edited by RedskinRat; 01-28-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:29 PM   #4
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinRat View Post
Republicans.....FFS!

Arizona Republicans Propose Bill Requiring Belief In God To Graduate High School

A group of Arizona politicians — all Republicans, of course — have proposed a law (House Bill 2467) requiring public high school students to recite the following oath in order to graduate:

I, _______, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge these duties; So help me God.

It’s bad enough the Republicans are demanding loyalty of the kind normally reserved for members of Congress and beyond. If this bill were to become a law, atheists would either not be allowed to graduate…or they would be forced to lie so they could graduate. Neither option is acceptable.

Amen, to that! J/K!
Funny the article makes it sound like its strongly supported by rep. but it has only two members pushing this wacko bill. I guess 2 is now a group.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:05 PM   #5
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Yeah, Disinformation seems to be more about Misinformation (zing!).

To call this a bill by Republicans requiring high schoolers to believe in God is crazy talk. Its a bill by 2 Republicans requiring students to swear or, very likely, affirm their support of the constitution, nothing more. Its currently written as an oath. I pretty sure there would be an affirmation option in place for people who object to oaths.

Now if you have a problem with current citizens swearing or affirming their support of the constitution, then thats different. But this has nothing to do with God, silly liberals. And if it was about God im sure it would piss him off, as i dont think you are supposed to swear on or to God, hence the use and role of affirmations.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:50 PM   #6
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
Yeah, Disinformation seems to be more about Misinformation (zing!).

To call this a bill by Republicans requiring high schoolers to believe in God is crazy talk. Its a bill by 2 Republicans requiring students to swear or, very likely, affirm their support of the constitution, nothing more. Its currently written as an oath. I pretty sure there would be an affirmation option in place for people who object to oaths.

Now if you have a problem with current citizens swearing or affirming their support of the constitution, then thats different. But this has nothing to do with God, silly liberals. And if it was about God im sure it would piss him off, as i dont think you are supposed to swear on or to God, hence the use and role of affirmations.

Key words are highlighted and underlined. This thread is about Republicans being dumbasses when it comes to their religion. This isn't say ALL or EVERYBODY, but these people ARE representing the party.

edit: No, I don't call them dumbasses because they are religious. I call them dumbasses because they want us all to pattern our lives and follow their guidelines based on their religion.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty

Last edited by NC_Skins; 01-28-2013 at 07:34 PM.
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:30 PM   #7
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

...and here we have more GOP dumbasses trying to make abortion illegal (in some instances).

New Mexico lawmaker resurrects bill making abortion after rape a felony - Salon.com

Submit a bill claiming a fetus is "evidence" in a rape crime. Hence it would make it illegal to "destroy evidence" by getting an abortion.

Quote:
The bill reads: "Tampering with evidence shall include procuring or facilitating an abortion, or compelling or coercing another to obtain an abortion, of a fetus that is the result of criminal sexual penetration or incest with the intent to destroy evidence of the crime."
It's ok guys, she "missed" this.

Carlsbad's Cathrynn Brown under fire for bill on abortion by rape victims - Carlsbad Current-Argus
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:11 PM   #8
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Key words are highlighted and underlined. This thread is about Republicans being dumbasses when it comes to their religion. This isn't say ALL or EVERYBODY, but these people ARE representing the party.

edit: No, I don't call them dumbasses because they are religious. I call them dumbasses because they want us all to pattern our lives and follow their guidelines based on their religion.
I was writing specifically to the article. I should have said "arizona Republicans ".

To quote Bobby Jindal, Republicans have to stop being the stupid party. Like he said Republicans have said some really offensive things recently. Im glad they are being called out, they need to be. And Im glad Jindal is saying it, he needs to be.

I think most Americans are more inline with conservative principals, they just dont know it. These stupid social and religious comments and actions so many on the Republican isle make take away from the real issues. We live in the day and age of sensational headlines on meaningless topics made for the low information voter whos in charge of deciding elections. But at the end of the day its their own fault for not changing their rhetoric.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:33 PM   #9
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Maybe math isn't yours area of expertise, but I count 8 people as sponsors, including a Senator.

Representatives Thorpe, Borrelli, Seel, Shope, Smith: Dial, Livingston, Senator Crandell.

Here's the Bill.

I didn't use the word 'god' when I swore my oath of allegiance, but then this is California.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:41 PM   #10
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Quote:
Maybe math isn't yours area of expertise, but I count 8 people as sponsors, including a Senator.

Representatives Thorpe, Borrelli, Seel, Shope, Smith: Dial, Livingston, Senator Crandell.

Here's the Bill.

I didn't use the word 'god' when I swore my oath of allegiance, but then this is California.
I was going off of what Fd said. Maybe it was only 2 people initially?

I have no idea why you took an oath or what you said, so im guessing here..... but when swearing i believe its implicit that you are swearing to God or at least to a sacred idol, even if God or that idol isnt mentioned. But if you or a bunch of hs kids are uncomfortable with swearing to God or a god, you are all in good company because God forbids it, as is written in the Book of Mathew.

What is the Difference between "Swear" and "Affirm" in an Oath? - mobile wiseGEEK

With that said, it appears all athiests and none pagans are being attacked by Arizona Republicans.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:55 AM   #11
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:

Here's the Bill.

What I looked at only shoudl two at the time.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:45 PM   #12
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Cool:

Not cool:

Conservative’s Anti-Muhammad Ad Rejected by Detroit Transit System — But Can You Guess Which Ad Was Accepted? | TheBlaze.com
Old 01-30-2013, 03:05 PM   #13
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

We don't want anyone getting killed, do we?

There's not much turning the other cheek in islam.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:47 PM   #14
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Quote:
We don't want anyone getting killed, do we?

There's not much turning the other cheek in islam.

Maybe Chrsitians should throw a sucker punch?
Old 07-10-2013, 08:14 AM   #15
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Of course the problem with one of those is that Muslims are not supposed to "believe in" Muhammad. Muhammad explicitly said that he was a savior and should not be worshiped. Whoever made that image is misinformed about Islam.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote