Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

The Official Stephen Strasburg MLB Debut Thread

Other Sports

Old 06-08-2010, 11:24 PM   #31
InsaneBoost
The Starter

Re: The Official Stephen Strasburg MLB Debut Thread

Nationals Park was ELECTRIC. I've never heard that place so loud in my life!

InsaneBoost is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-08-2010, 11:56 PM   #32
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneBoost View Post
Man I hear that. It was a crazy atmostphere, the place was going buck wild after every strike he threw. And just seeing him pitch was unbelievable.

I was so lucky, I bought two tickets in section 130 off craigslist on sat. for 115 bucks apiece. I was going crazy last week that I pretty much emailed anybody who was selling tickets on CL and then I hit this guy up and he said I was the first who would just buy and didn't try to negotiate first. I don't really care that I didn't negotiate with him because I thought it was a great deal compared to what other seats in that section were going for.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:13 AM   #33
InsaneBoost
The Starter

Yeah, I paid $46 for section 133, so you only paid a little over double which is pretty good. My brother found tickets for closer, the $65 ones, guy wanted $300 a piece, he said the hell with that. Didn't mind over paying, but not that much.

InsaneBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:27 AM   #34
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Took this from CSNWashington.com

STRASBURG’S EVERY PITCH
Pitch-by-pitch results for Nationals starter Stephen Strasburg in his major league debut Tuesday night against Pittsburgh:

FIRST INNING
Andrew McCutcheon: Ball (98), ball (97), lined out to shortstop (98).
Neil Walker: Ball (82), ball (98), foul (99), ball (97) and ground out to first base (99).
Lastings Milledge: Called strike (99), called strike (82), swinging strike (83).
Totals: 11 pitches, six strikes.

SECOND INNING
Garrett Jones: Ball (91), ball (98), ball (99), called strike (97), swinging strike (99) and swinging strike (99).
Delwyn Young: Called strike (99), ball (91), foul (91), ball (100) and swinging strike (83).
Andy LaRoche: Called strike (82), ball (99) and single to right field (100).
Ronny Cedeno: Foul (97), swinging strike (82), foul (97), ball (81) and swinging strike (89).
Totals: 19 pitches, 12 strikes.

THIRD INNING
Jason Jaramillo: Called strike (97), ball (90), called strike (90) and called strike (83).
Jeff Karstens: Called strike (97), called strike (82), ball (82) and swinging strike (98).
Andrew McCutcheon: Ball (99) and ground out to third (98).
Totals: 10 pitches, seven strikes

FOURTH INNING
Neil Walker: Foul (96), ball (82) and single to right field (81).
Lastings Milledge: Ball (96), ball (89), foul (95) and single to right field (97).
Garrett Jones: Swinging strike (89), foul (81), ball (97), ball (97), ball (82) and double play (96).
Delwyn Young: Ball (96) and two-run homer to right (90).
Andy LaRoche: Pop out to second base (98).
Totals: 16 pitches, nine strikes.

FIFTH INNING
Ronny Cedeno: Called strike (99), ball (98), swinging strike (97) and swinging strike (99).
Jason Jaramillo: Called strike (99), swinging strike (97), ball (98) and ground out to first base (82).
Jeff Karstens: Called strike (98), ball (98), called strike (98), foul (82), foul (99) and called strike (99).
Totals: 14 pitches, 10 strikes

SIXTH INNING
Andrew McCutcheon: Foul bunt (98), called strike (81), ball (82) and swinging strike (91).
Neil Walker: Called strike (99), foul (98) and swinging strike (99).
Lastings Milledge: Ball (84), called strike (82), called strike (82) and swinging strike (92).
Totals: 11 pitches, 10 strikes

SEVENTH INNING
Garrett Jones: Ball (96), foul (96), called strike (81), foul (99), ball (97), foul (98) and swinging strike (83).
Delwyn Young: Called strike (98), swinging strike (98) and swinging strike (99).
Andy LaRoche: Called strike (83), swinging strike (83) and swinging strike (99).
Totals: 13 pitches, 11 strikes.

Final totals: 94 pitches, 65 strikes, seven innings, four hits, two runs, no walks and 14 strikeouts.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:07 AM   #35
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneBoost View Post
lol came back here watching the replay to mention this very point.. I guess when the stadium is full and there's something to be excited about even baseball can get loud.. tired of the mets and phillies fans being louder than ours

I think that it's safe to say that Strasburg Nights are going to be pretty well visited
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:08 AM   #36
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

mmm no walks
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:49 AM   #37
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

This guy was ridiculous last night. I don't even follow baseball that much nor do I know much about it, but even I knew this guy was amazing last night.

Stephen Strasburgh, Bryce Harper, John Wall, Donovan McNabb, Ovechkin...DC sports are on the rise!!!!!
Old 06-09-2010, 10:02 AM   #38
12thMan
MVP

The ball park was ridic. Never seen the stadium so loud from start to finish, and fans were bouncing off the walls after that final strike/out. I felt like someone dropped me in Yankees stadium or somewhere.

Totally blew past any expectations. He was throwing some crazy sh*t across the plate - just crazy! Funny, I think it took the umps a few innings to adjust to his stuff.

Welcome to D.C., Mr. Strasburg!!
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:19 AM   #39
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtMonkDrillz View Post
Number of strangers I high five like it's 1985 during the game
Over 7 1/2
Under 7 1/2

Number of strangers I man-hug during the game
Over 3
Under 3
So I didn't man-hug any strangers, but I did high five people like we were on the set of Miami Vice. One of those people happened to be Mr. London Fletcher, who we saw walking through the concourse around the 8th inning. No one else seemed to recognize him.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:20 AM   #40
MTK
\m/

One of those rare moments in sports where a guy comes in with a ton of hype and actually lives up to it, or exceeds it in this case. I'm not a baseball guy but I kept switching over to the game and I caught all the highlights right after it.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:13 AM   #41
bigmarley4
Special Teams

I was there -- amazing experience! I'm gonna try and catch him as much as possible this year. His curveball is off the charts, made batters look silly.
bigmarley4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:15 PM   #42
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Well, I thought someone would hit a HR and he'd give up 2 runs because of nerves or just the fact he'd never faced a MLB lineup before...but wow...14 Ks and 0 walks? The Pirates' record is horrible but it's due more to a lack of pitching than offense, they have some good power hitters and speedsters on that team...Doumit, Milledge, McCutchen, Garrett Jones, Delwyn Young, Neil Walker (called up last week)...

Insane performance for any pitcher, let alone a first career start.

Glad I was able to watch the game...we may have seen the beginning of a historical career.

Will hitters adjust or figure him out? Maybe but I'd lean towards NO. Unlike a quirky Japanese pitcher that always succeeds the first time through the schedule, Stasburg doesn't rely on mechanical differences to trick batters, he throw 98-100 MPH fastballs and 78-82 MPH changeups, with a 90-92 MPH curveball with a ton of movement. You can't adjust to a 20 MPH speed difference. If you look for a fastball, you won't be able to hit his other pitches. If you look for a curve or changeup, you're getting blown away by the fastball.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:54 PM   #43
FRPLG
MVP

Now we just need to pray they can keep him healthy. The key to being Ryan/Clemens/Johnson isn't just stuff. It's durability.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote