Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Idiot bicyclists

Parking Lot

Old 06-07-2011, 10:40 AM   #31
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Re: Idiot bicyclists

Probably already said but I really don't mind them riding if there is a designated riding lane on the road. Usually thats wide enough for the cyclist. However what really irritates me are the nimrods who think it's no big deal to ride on a two lane road with no cycle lane. In other words they are taking their riding on the roadways and honestly here in VA the rule is they either keep up with the speed of traffic or they could be ticketed due to hindering traffic.

They want to ride, go ride in a community or park or something why take up the road and cause traffic to back up cause they can't get around you safely?
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-07-2011, 10:43 AM   #32
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I mean look, I too don't much care for it when cyclists (or anyone) openly disobey the rules of the road, but honestly-up here at least-I really don't see that. For the most part, we/they aren't trying to get in anyone's way at all. You think it's fun to ride a bike with a truck barreling down on you?

Furthermore, the picture in the original post basically sucks. It's two cyclists not in anyone's way on the shoulder of the road. Maybe it's nitpicking on my part, but that's the visual evidence presented to start this thread as to why cyclists are idiots...and really it shows nothing.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:49 AM   #33
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
This I have to disagree with. Most dont follow the laws. Ive read bicyclist blogs, researched the laws a year ago . . your community (atleast the blogs I read) recognize that they as a whole have a problem with not following the laws of the road and they contribute to the hate relationship with motor vehicles and bicyclists sharing the pavement.
Exactly. To a man, cyclists will try to tell you they "always follow the rules" blah blah blah. Yeah well, take a ride through Rock Creek Park, Beach Drive, or any other cycling hot-spot in the DC area and you'll see just how douchy all of these yahoos are.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:50 AM   #34
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
In other words they are taking their riding on the roadways and honestly here in VA the rule is they either keep up with the speed of traffic or they could be ticketed due to hindering traffic.
I'm going to go on a limb and say that doesn't apply to cyclists. Sometimes they are forced to go on a two lane road. It's just the way it is my man.

Quote:
They want to ride go ride in a community or park or something why take up the road and cause traffic to back up cause they can't get around you safely?

I think you need to read my rant clarifying cyclists. Casual/Exercise cyclists can do the park/community thing, road cyclists cannot. You can't ride 20-30 miles in a park while trying to maintain speeds of 15-25 mph. Not going to happen. Road cyclists need the open roadway to achieve those goals when riding.
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:52 AM   #35
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I mean look, I too don't much care for it when cyclists (or anyone) openly disobey the rules of the road, but honestly-up here at least-I really don't see that. For the most part, we/they aren't trying to get in anyone's way at all. You think it's fun to ride a bike with a truck barreling down on you?

Furthermore, the picture in the original post basically sucks. It's two cyclists not in anyone's way on the shoulder of the road. Maybe it's nitpicking on my part, but that's the visual evidence presented to start this thread as to why cyclists are idiots...and really it shows nothing.
Yeah, for those of us on my side of the argument, that picture certainly doesn't help. That's probably the most generous bike lane I've ever seen, and both riders are well within the lines. Definitely a fail of an example.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:59 AM   #36
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post

I agree with you and don't know why the OP was upset. The cyclist were clearly not in the road way or bothering him other then possibly their clothing?

Wait till he's on an old country road and finds one or two of them peddling away at a snale's pace.

Smoot, I can understand how one would feel about a dump truck or tractor trailor barreling down on you if you are the bicyclist but.... they don't have to be there. They can go to different developements and ride all day with out one worry of a dump truck or hopefully tractor trailor possibly hitting them but no they would prefer to ride in the road way.

Bicycles are allowed on the road way as long as they can keep up with the speed limit and obey traffic laws. Unfortunatly most don't. They get on 2 lane country roads with speed limits of 45 mph. They get on 4-6 lane roads on a busy Sat. morning and .... pass the traffic at stop lights, slow down, then continue throught the red light if there is no cars entering the intersection.

The other bicyclist I just seem to love are the people who think they must still ride on the opposite side of the road or against traffic. In VA it's ride with traffic, walk against traffic.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:01 AM   #37
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
I'm going to go on a limb and say that doesn't apply to cyclists. Sometimes they are forced to go on a two lane road. It's just the way it is my man.

I think you need to read my rant clarifying cyclists. Casual/Exercise cyclists can do the park/community thing, road cyclists cannot. You can't ride 20-30 miles in a park while trying to maintain speeds of 15-25 mph. Not going to happen. Road cyclists need the open roadway to achieve those goals when riding.
Good, you can find that in a community which has speed limits of 25 mph. In no way shape and form should you be on an old country road thats 45mph doing 25.... or less up hill.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:09 AM   #38
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Good, you can find that in a community which has speed limits of 25 mph. In no way shape and form should you be on an old country road thats 45mph doing 25.... or less up hill.

You really aren't practical in your idea. You are talking about cycling in inner city with those speed limits. Cyclist can't stop/start for lights every block. It would defeat the purpose.

Cyclist speed has nothing to do with the actual speed limit.
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:33 AM   #39
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
You really aren't practical in your idea. You are talking about cycling in inner city with those speed limits. Cyclist can't stop/start for lights every block. It would defeat the purpose.

Cyclist speed has nothing to do with the actual speed limit.
I'll concede that I thought there was a law in regards to bicycles having to be able to do the speed limit. There is not. Atleast not for bicycles.

However, you said it would be unpractical for bicyclist to ride in parks or communities becuase they need to be able to ride 15 to 25 mph and it would be difficult. I'll again agree it might be difficult in some parks because some parks are small, but most communities are already set for 25 mph. Plus I doubt very seriously a cop will pull you over because you were bicycling at 35 mph in a community. But it's rediculous to find a bicyclist on an old country road riding 25 to 30 mph on a 45 mph road. With hills and curves on top of it. Many of times I get cars in the opposite direction flashing their lights because just over a rise or hill there is a bicyclist, or just around a curve there is a bicyclist.

To go along with it a bicyclist on a two lane road during rush hour traffic. You can't get around for fear the on coming vehicle will hit you so your stuck with cars all lined up behind waiting for a good opportunity to get around the cyclist.

Look, you want to be a tour de france rider good for you but find a good place and safe place to cycle. I'm not talking the cyclist who runs erands through NYC. I'm talking about the nit wits on old country two lane roads. But even the cyclist who are in the city need to follow the rules of the road, ie; traffic lights.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:19 PM   #40
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmdub130 View Post

alright so this has been driving me crazy for the past few weeks ever since all the lance armstrong wannabees decide to get all decked out in their spandex and f up my morning and evening commutes.

i recently moved to woodbridge last fall and drive up and down rt 123, ox rd quite a bit. for those of you who don't know 123 is a 4 lane divided highway with a speed limit of 55 that is one of the major north south routes in northern va. now that it is getting warmer more and more bicyclists are out riding up and down rt 123 which is great seeing as how they have a nice wide path, easily 6 feet, that they can ride in, most people stay on the path and abide by the crosswalk signals.

however there are now more and more of these asshats that think they are too good for the path and want to ride their bikes in the god damn shoulder of the road. as you can see in this picture i came across two of the douchiest yet the other morning riding side by side on the should at 8:30 am with an empty path 20 feet to their right, um WTF!!!!! (and no i didn't care if i hit them as i went for my phone either, f em)

i now make it a point to not move my truck to avoid these assholes, in fact most times i yell out my window to get on the f-ing path as i drive by. i have encountered assholes on bikes before in north springfield where they would form giant groups and ride 40 or 50 deep down the street not stopping at stop signs and abiding by any taffic laws whatsoever.

after readin tmc's thread on dickholes with 26.2 stickers i figured i would see if i am alone in my hatered or even see if one of you bicyclist wanted to try and explain why you chose to endagner yourself and everyone driving on the road.

anyone else have trouble with team live strong anywhere else?
At least they're riding on a road with plenty of space on their shoulder so you don't have to risk your life going into the other lane into oncoming traffic as you're approaching the peak of a hill that you can't see over...or be forced to slam on the brakes and stay behind them until you crest the hill and can see. We get idiot bicyclists here that ride on roads where they have to ride ON the white line...sometimes in the CAR LANE because there's no shoulder.

I should get a bike sticker on my car and put a few red Xs under it...maybe they'll think I'm a killing machine and get off my road.

NOW, the city I work in decided to add a bike lane on the two 1-way streets I both come into work on and go home on. They reduced these streets to one car lane and one bike lane, that in the month since the idiotic move I have not seen a single bicycle in! It's hell for rush hour trying to go home, especially on Fridays. It's the two streets one block on each side of the main street running through center city. Two very busy streets for traffic. Stop electing these tree-huggers in the city, people. They have an art district with flowers painted on parking meters and now as many bike lanes as car lanes...but no one is using the bike lanes while CARS are backed up!
Old 06-07-2011, 01:22 PM   #41
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Bicyclist hit on Park Road | The Batavian

Also,
Old 06-07-2011, 01:22 PM   #42
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

NC_Skinsfan -- When I'm driving my car I really can't be bothered to stop at every block. When I drive I need to be on the open road staying at a consistent speed and can't be bothered to stop. Simply how it is, I'm trying to be as effective as possible and I love to bring a pack of my best buddies and stay wide so we can communicate effectively.

If you need to do a 40 mile ride, then go find a place built for that, or obey all the rules. Stay on the shoulder, obey stop lights, signs, watch for pedestrians, and wait for your turn and we have no issue. No reason for these jackasses to not be getting on the W&OD and all their feeders in this area. We have tons of bike paths everywhere and should be used.

I sympathize with earlier posters that talk about country roads. Where I grew up has tons of back roads with pretty quick speed limits (45MPH) and I typically go that when on them. I love coming around a blind curve (completely in control and on my side) to have some cyclist going 1/4 of my speed in the middle of the lane. There need to be more rules and regulations imposed on cyclists. You want to ride long range, fine. Drive to a place designated for that and cycle till you're blue in the face.

In NoVA cyclists regularly greatly impact traffic. As do jay walkers who feel entitled to walk when they like. Every mode of transportation needs to know their responsibilities and stick to it. I hate that motorists automatically assume responsibility for all other forms of transportation. If I hit a biker making an illegal turn, I'll be okay in court.

That said, the picture attached is a very poor example of what pisses me off about bikers. While I wish those 2 were on the bike lane, they're not doing anything that should be impeeding traffic.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:33 PM   #43
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmdub130 View Post

alright so this has been driving me crazy for the past few weeks ever since all the lance armstrong wannabees decide to get all decked out in their spandex and f up my morning and evening commutes.

i recently moved to woodbridge last fall and drive up and down rt 123, ox rd quite a bit. for those of you who don't know 123 is a 4 lane divided highway with a speed limit of 55 that is one of the major north south routes in northern va. now that it is getting warmer more and more bicyclists are out riding up and down rt 123 which is great seeing as how they have a nice wide path, easily 6 feet, that they can ride in, most people stay on the path and abide by the crosswalk signals.

however there are now more and more of these asshats that think they are too good for the path and want to ride their bikes in the god damn shoulder of the road. as you can see in this picture i came across two of the douchiest yet the other morning riding side by side on the should at 8:30 am with an empty path 20 feet to their right, um WTF!!!!! (and no i didn't care if i hit them as i went for my phone either, f em)

i now make it a point to not move my truck to avoid these assholes, in fact most times i yell out my window to get on the f-ing path as i drive by. i have encountered assholes on bikes before in north springfield where they would form giant groups and ride 40 or 50 deep down the street not stopping at stop signs and abiding by any taffic laws whatsoever.

after readin tmc's thread on dickholes with 26.2 stickers i figured i would see if i am alone in my hatered or even see if one of you bicyclist wanted to try and explain why you chose to endagner yourself and everyone driving on the road.

anyone else have trouble with team live strong anywhere else?
You really get that upset at these people when they are way off the road way. I hate bicyclist myself but with that big of a shoulder it should not be an issue. If there was not the wide shoulder I could see getting ticked off.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:42 PM   #44
Monkeydad
Living Legend

^Agreed. The only thing those particular riders are going wrong is dressing like clowns.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:44 PM   #45
over the mountain
Playmaker

Current Bicycle Laws

Md driver laws:

A person may not throw any object at or in the direction of any person riding a bicycle, an EPAMD, or a motor scooter.

A person may not open the door of any motor vehicle with intent to strike, injure, or interfere with any person riding a bicycle, and EPAMD, or a motor scooter.

some bicyclist rules in MD:

Bicycles, motor scooters and EPAMDs are not permitted on any roads where the speed limit is more than 50 miles per hour or higher. (TR § 21-1205.1)

A person riding a bicycle shall ride as close to the right side of the road as practicable and safe, except when.. (left turning, etc)

Where there is a bike lane, a person must use those and not ride a bicycle or motor scooter in the roadway except: (TR § 21-1205.1)

The one that always gets me is if there is a bike lane, bicyclists must use it . . . and weve spent plenty of money making bike lanes