Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Some Things Never Change (WP:RI Article)

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-10-2009, 02:34 PM   #1
skinsfan69
Living Legend

re: Some Things Never Change (WP:RI Article)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon View Post
Matty:

Art Rooney doesn't go scouting. Robert Kraft doesn't go scouting. Jeffrie Lurie doesn't go scouting. Those are three NFL situations I know are the case. Their teams are pretty successful year over year...

I seriously doubt that other successful owners regularly went out to scout players on their own in past times. - - other than Jerry Jones who has been the owner AND GM of the team for the last 15 years or so. And by the way, it has been 13 years since the Cowboys won a playoff game. Oh, you can put George Halas in the bin of owners who scouted too; of course he was the head coach in addition to all of the other responsibilities... Those were simpler times.

Here is what bothers me about Snyder scouting a QB:
Back in his early years here, he boasted to the Washington Post Sunday Magazine in an article on him that HE was the one who found Patrick Ramsey and made sure the team drafted Ramsey with its first draft pick.
That tells me that Danny Boy would not know a great QB if it came up to him and bit him on the ass and announced in a loud voice, "I am a great QB!"

I agree here. The other owners aren't going around doing this stuff. Well Jerry Jones does but at least he puts his name on it. It's just the same old shit. And yeah Danny Boy was impressed that Ramsey threw the ball all over the field during the combine and so we had to have him. lol. But in their defense maybe they were there looking at other players and not just McCoy. I might have to turn in my Redskin colors if we draft McCoy.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:44 PM   #2
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

Just draft a starting caliber LT and I'll be happy. Draft a starting caliber guard to go with him and I'll shut up for a year. If they draft another WR, I'll continue to bad mouth Vinny and Dan.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:53 PM   #3
firstdown
Living Legend

Re: Some Things Never Change (WP:RI Article)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon View Post
Matty:

Art Rooney doesn't go scouting. Robert Kraft doesn't go scouting. Jeffrie Lurie doesn't go scouting. Those are three NFL situations I know are the case. Their teams are pretty successful year over year...

I seriously doubt that other successful owners regularly went out to scout players on their own in past times. - - other than Jerry Jones who has been the owner AND GM of the team for the last 15 years or so. And by the way, it has been 13 years since the Cowboys won a playoff game. Oh, you can put George Halas in the bin of owners who scouted too; of course he was the head coach in addition to all of the other responsibilities... Those were simpler times.

Here is what bothers me about Snyder scouting a QB:
Back in his early years here, he boasted to the Washington Post Sunday Magazine in an article on him that HE was the one who found Patrick Ramsey and made sure the team drafted Ramsey with its first draft pick.
That tells me that Danny Boy would not know a great QB if it came up to him and bit him on the ass and announced in a loud voice, "I am a great QB!"
I thought that it was Spurier (sp) that wanted Ramsey.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:50 PM   #4
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

It was a no brainer that they would go after a QB.

Say a miracle happens and Campbell is kept here, they would logically get somebody to compete with him. Jason has never been "pushed" since he's been here, so they are just doing their due diligence IMO...
Old 12-09-2009, 03:52 PM   #5
Longtimefan
Playmaker

This is going to be a real interesting off-season.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:53 PM   #6
MTK
\m/

Campbell staying here next year is looking like an extreme longshot unfortunately.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:56 PM   #7
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

I would like to keep Campbell, but it would have to be a decent price. I think he is......servicable under the right conditions, but not going to push Peyton out
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:57 PM   #8
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Keep in mind the term "scout" could be completely misconstrued here. It could be that Snyder, Cerrato, Campbell, and Fred Smith (just to throw names out there) were in Texas, saw a Longhorns game and that turns into Cerrato and Snyder were scouting McCoy
Old 12-09-2009, 04:01 PM   #9
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Keep in mind the term "scout" could be completely misconstrued here. It could be that Snyder, Cerrato, Campbell, and Fred Smith (just to throw names out there) were in Texas, saw a Longhorns game and that turns into Cerrato and Snyder were scouting McCoy
Hmmm, that actually makes a lot of sense. Reid and the Post love to spin stuff.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:58 PM   #10
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

But what's the chances that it's a complete coincidence. Seriously. We all know these guys and how they operate. Dumbness travels together.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:00 PM   #11
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Well this doesn't shock me 1 bit.. DS want's a different QB and he has been looking for one since last season...
Old 12-09-2009, 04:02 PM   #12
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Well this doesn't shock me 1 bit.. DS want's a different QB and he has been looking for one since last season...
Honestly, i beleived at the time what Campbell was told - they wanted him to succceed but he simply wasn't performing up to snuff. I have been very impressed with Campbell's play of late and I thought they had too. Only time will tell.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:04 PM   #13
SouperMeister
Playmaker

Watch Campbell sign in Carolina, where they have a good OL, 2 solid RBs, and a gamebreaking WR (Steve Smith). Snyderato chased Brad Johnson out of town, but he was good enough to win a Super Bowl after that in Tampa. If they cast Jason aside, despite his continued improvement, I will be rooting HARD for him to land in a great situation like Carolina, and see him kick ass there.

Campbell has more than demonstrated toughness, both physical and mental. His improvement that coincided with Sherm Lewis calling plays, is too obvious to ignore. I'm really hoping that we give Campbell a tender for one more season, then if he shows that he's still trending upward, we can always give him a long-term extension during the uncapped season.
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:07 PM   #14
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperMeister View Post
Watch Campbell sign in Carolina, where they have a good OL, 2 solid RBs, and a gamebreaking WR (Steve Smith). Snyderato chased Brad Johnson out of town, but he was good enough to win a Super Bowl after that in Tampa. If they cast Jason aside, despite his continued improvement, I will be rooting HARD for him to land in a great situation like Carolina, and see him kick ass there.

Campbell has more than demonstrated toughness, both physical and mental. His improvement that coincided with Sherm Lewis calling plays, is too obvious to ignore. I'm really hoping that we give Campbell a tender for one more season, then if he shows that he's still trending upward, we can always give him a long-term extension during the uncapped season.
I was actually thinking the same thing lol... I would keep him for a couple more years, and draft a QB in this years draft.. Not necessarily in the 1st rd, but I would like to see them draft 1 soon.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:14 PM   #15
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
I was actually thinking the same thing lol... I would keep him for a couple more years, and draft a QB in this years draft.. Not necessarily in the 1st rd, but I would like to see them draft 1 soon.
I hope for that too, if they must draft a qb I really hope they don't in the 1st round. I think the ideal situation is to keep JC & bring in competition + see what Colt can do. Colt Brennan may have worked hard during his IR time & might seriously be ready to play at some point next year.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote