Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy

Obama directs NASA to Improve Relations with the Muslim World

Debating with the enemy

Old 07-08-2010, 10:14 AM   #31
firstdown
Living Legend

Re: Obama directs NASA to Improve Relations with the Muslim World

Only Obama would think its a good idea to teach the Middle East rocket technology. Its so bad its funny.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-08-2010, 10:14 AM   #32
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

With the Shah of Iran came......toilet paper. One can only...imagine what wonder NASA could bring to Muslim world???
I wonder what other activities our....Space program might embrace??
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:20 AM   #33
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

This still doesn't seem like such a huge deal to me. Was it a big deal when W said he wanted to embrace international cooperation, particularly from Russia, in regards to space travel and exploration.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:37 AM   #34
dmek25
MVP

dont let the facts stand in the way, SS
Old 07-08-2010, 10:45 AM   #35
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
This still doesn't seem like such a huge deal to me. Was it a big deal when W said he wanted to embrace international cooperation, particularly from Russia, in regards to space travel and exploration.
Well have you ever thought that wanting to join with Russia was in our interest because they have the space station we are using all the time. The only thing the middle east has been doing is trying to figure out how to get a rocket to fly a bomb over here or at Isrial.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:51 AM   #36
Hog1

For those that can't get over it....this is not about W, or Barry O, or the next administration. This is a ridiculous (and wreckless use of tax dollars...especially now)directive for our.....Space Agency to proceed.

Administrator Charles Bolden said in a recent interview that his "foremost" mission as the head of America's space exploration agency is to improve relations with the Muslim world.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:55 AM   #37
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Well have you ever thought that wanting to join with Russia was in our interest because they have the space station we are using all the time. The only thing the middle east has been doing is trying to figure out how to get a rocket to fly a bomb over here or at Isrial.
It's this sort of backward thinking that fuels the fear-mongering of this news.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:04 AM   #38
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
For those that can't get over it....this is not about W, or Barry O, or the next administration. This is a ridiculous (and wreckless use of tax dollars...especially now)directive for our.....Space Agency to proceed.

Administrator Charles Bolden said in a recent interview that his "foremost" mission as the head of America's space exploration agency is to improve relations with the Muslim world.
That's my issue, as much as I have one, with it, not the "fear-mongering". IF NASA has a purposeful existence, it should be focused on practical application of engineering breakthroughs in order to achieve greater use of space for peaceful uses. Examples could include establishing moon based farming colonies, and the technologies which enable transferring people and goods to space based colonies. A good example of what it should not include is fostering international interest in math and science. We have several other departments and bureacracies whose funding is for the encouragement and development of educational awareness both nationally and internationally.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:16 AM   #39
Hog1

At NASA, Earth is Removed from Mission Statement | Union of Concerned Scientists

The agency’s current mission statement calls on the agency “to pioneer the future in space exploration, scientific discovery and aeronautics research.
......and whatever other BS someone can dream up?
Old 07-08-2010, 11:21 AM   #40
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
It's this sort of backward thinking that fuels the fear-mongering of this news.
Fear-mongering. Ok, then what type of rockets have the people in the middle east been experimenting with/on? How about its also not his job as head of NASA.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:56 AM   #41
dmek25
MVP

his job is to follow up on orders from his boss. and i guess you wouldn't take their money? space exploration is a very costly venture. that's what this is all about. that, and trying to improve the U.S. standing in the world. old W made a lot of enemies in 8 years
Old 07-08-2010, 11:57 AM   #42
saden1
MVP

Considering NASA's budget there is hardly any cost associated with having NASA folks give lectures at Middle Easter universities or give tours of NASA projects and facilities. There's also the fact that we already do this sort of thing.

Try again because you've failed.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:02 PM   #43
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Fear-mongering. Ok, then what type of rockets have the people in the middle east been experimenting with/on? How about its also not his job as head of NASA.
Whether you like it or not they're going to build them, it's just a matter of time and you can't cheat time. I believe Pakistan and Iran have ones that can certainly reach Israel and they will probably have ones that can reach USA within ten years.

You can send NASA now or you can send 140K troops in 10 or 20 years...what do you want to do?

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:34 PM   #44
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
That's my issue, as much as I have one, with it, not the "fear-mongering". IF NASA has a purposeful existence, it should be focused on practical application of engineering breakthroughs in order to achieve greater use of space for peaceful uses. Examples could include establishing moon based farming colonies, and the technologies which enable transferring people and goods to space based colonies. A good example of what it should not include is fostering international interest in math and science. We have several other departments and bureacracies whose funding is for the encouragement and development of educational awareness both nationally and internationally.
Ok, that's an argument I can respect. I mean, look I've got relatives that work for NASA who have been told they will be let go in a couple of months because of the changes in NASA's overall philosophy. For their sake, I'm not thrilled about all this.

However, I think the first step to finding breakthroughs in order to achieve greater use of space is to engage the international community.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:36 PM   #45
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
his job is to follow up on orders from his boss. and i guess you wouldn't take their money? space exploration is a very costly venture. that's what this is all about. that, and trying to improve the U.S. standing in the world. old W made a lot of enemies in 8 years
Yea blame W for his dumb ass actions. I guess its the only way to explain the dumb shit he does. This dude builds rockets not relations with other nations thats Hilliary Clinton's job but I guess this is a little more confusing then running some neighbor hood program.