Debating with the enemy

Old 03-31-2010, 11:28 AM   #31
Schneed10
A Dude

Re: new drilling in the U.S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I think it's a good move.

I could really care less who initiated it or all the particulars. I mean really, the fact that it's happening is all that really matters.
Well said. Not everything needs to be colored by the incessant and often ridiculous battle of partisan politics.

It's a common sense move, kudos to Obama for that.

Advertisements
Old 03-31-2010, 11:35 AM   #32
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
That statement is correct. Once the current moratorium expires, it won't be renewed but replaced with actual policy reversing the ban. I guess to put it more concretely, it's currently not U.S. policy to drill offshore. Lots of talk, lots of orders, bans and reversals, but no legislation has actually been enacted to permit drilling specifying what regions will be tapped.
Why do you have to vote to reverse a ban if the ban is no longer law. So now they are going to vote to reverse a ban that is not a ban. My only point was that this ban is no longer a inforce so what was Obama actually giving the OK for. Read this its no longer ban and there is nothing to vote on.

Congress Allows Offshore Oil Drilling Ban to Expire | NBC San Diego
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:41 AM   #33
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Why do you have to vote to reverse a ban if the ban is no longer law. So now they are going to vote to reverse a ban that is not a ban. My only point was that this ban is no longer a inforce so what was Obama actually giving the OK for. Read this its no longer ban and there is nothing to vote on.

Congress Allows Offshore Oil Drilling Ban to Expire | NBC San Diego

Sorry I'm not being clear. They're not voting to reverse anything, per se. Let me spin it another way (you're wearing me out, by the way). The ban (President's sig) simply states what you can't do (no drilling allowed), but it takes an act of Congress (law) to say what we can do (drilling allowed).
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:57 AM   #34
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

About time . . . . maybe we can get a new nuclear plant too. The governor needs to break up VEPCO. It's the worst damned monopoly ever.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:45 PM   #35
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
It mentions who has admiralty and maritime jurisdiction and that's all the Constitution needs to do. It doesn't have to talk about fishing or drilling or anything else. Save your energy, no need to debate Section 2 of Article III.
Um, you quoted the Judicial Branches authority over admiralty, as well as all other law.
Quote:
The judicial Power shall extend to all Cases, in Law and Equity, arising under this Constitution, the Laws of the United States, and Treaties made, or which shall be made, under their Authority;--to all Cases affecting Ambassadors, other public ministers and Consuls;--to all Cases of admiralty and maritime Jurisdiction
Last I checked Judicial!=Legislative!=Executive.
If you read through Article I
Quote:
Section 8.

The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

To borrow Money on the credit of the United States;

To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes;

To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization, and uniform Laws on the subject of Bankruptcies throughout the United States;

To coin Money, regulate the Value thereof, and of foreign Coin, and fix the Standard of Weights and Measures;

To provide for the Punishment of counterfeiting the Securities and current Coin of the United States;

To establish Post Offices and post Roads;

To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries;

To constitute Tribunals inferior to the supreme Court;

To define and punish Piracies and Felonies committed on the high Seas, and Offences against the Law of Nations;

To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water;

To raise and support Armies, but no Appropriation of Money to that Use shall be for a longer Term than two Years;

To provide and maintain a Navy;

To make Rules for the Government and Regulation of the land and naval Forces;

To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions;

To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States, reserving to the States respectively, the Appointment of the Officers, and the Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;

To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of Particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States, and to exercise like Authority over all Places purchased by the Consent of the Legislature of the State in which the Same shall be, for the Erection of Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards and other needful Buildings;--And

To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof. elastic clause
You will find no such explicit mention. Having said that, still no need to get in a tizzy, since Lord Obama is willing to bend some for this lowly need.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:46 PM   #36
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
Sorry I'm not being clear. They're not voting to reverse anything, per se. Let me spin it another way (you're wearing me out, by the way). The ban (President's sig) simply states what you can't do (no drilling allowed), but it takes an act of Congress (law) to say what we can do (drilling allowed).
No they don't. So what your saying is that they now have to pass laws to tell us what we can do? Your wearing me out. If their is no ban to stop them from selling the rights to allow drilling then there is no reason to pass a law saying they can. It a given that they can because there is no ban on doing so.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:50 PM   #37
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
No they don't. So what your saying is that they now have to pass laws to tell us what we can do? Your wearing me out. If their is no ban to stop them from selling the rights to allow drilling then there is no reason to pass a law saying they can. It a given that they can because there is no ban on doing so.
FD, most people really just want to ignore this part:
Quote:
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:56 PM   #38
joethiesmanfan
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trample the Elderly View Post
About time . . . . maybe we can get a new nuclear plant too. The governor needs to break up VEPCO. It's the worst damned monopoly ever.
Waht's that VEPCO?
joethiesmanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:07 PM   #39
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethiesmanfan View Post
Waht's that VEPCO?
Dominion VA Power. They're all over the South now with different names. It's the same company and it's a monopoly in VA. Strange that no Rep or Dem governor has ever broken it up? I mean competion is a good thing in a capitialist society . . . up . . I forgot.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:11 PM   #40
joethiesmanfan
The Starter

We have Duke Energy and Piedmont Natural Gas (highway robbery).
joethiesmanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:12 PM   #41
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethiesmanfan View Post
We have Duke Energy and Piedmont Natural Gas (highway robbery).
That's the key word.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:36 PM   #42
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
FD, most people really just want to ignore this part:
I think after you get 3 miles off the coast it becomes federal waters and not the states. I know that three mile line changes what we can fish for if we are over three miles out because of this. I think the only thing that is really left to decide is how the state and the federal goverment will share in the revenue and how and to whom will they lease the rights. I'm still not sure why this is such big new other then the fact that Obama and the congress could but the ban back in force.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:45 PM   #43
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
I think after you get 3 miles off the coast it becomes federal waters and not the states. I know that three mile line changes what we can fish for if we are over three miles out because of this. I think the only thing that is really left to decide is how the state and the federal goverment will share in the revenue and how and to whom will they lease the rights. I'm still not sure why this is such big new other then the fact that Obama and the congress could but the ban back in force.
my point was that it is allowed unless specifically banned.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:01 PM   #44
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
my point was that it is allowed unless specifically banned.
Hey that was my piont too. LOL
Old 03-31-2010, 02:14 PM   #45
MTK
\m/

I'm with 12th...

worn... out