Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy

This Is One Scary Clock

Debating with the enemy

Old 08-19-2009, 05:23 PM   #31
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Re: This Is One Scary Clock

Saden, can you please explain to the above posters how the deficit is an imagined problem, and that we are free to spend forever and ever amen.

Thanks.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-19-2009, 06:03 PM   #32
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Saden, can you please explain to the above posters how the deficit is an imagined problem, and that we are free to spend forever and ever amen.

Thanks.
Unfortunately saden's side of the aisle isn't the only one who's at fault here.

What Killed Off The GOP Deficit Hawks?

Although Obama is making the snowball go much faster and grow much larger.

Bush Deficit vs. Obama Deficit in Pictures » The Foundry

Good comprehensive article about the deficit and debt. However, it was written before the national debt balloned to over $ 11T.

Ten Myths About Budget Deficits and Debt
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:26 PM   #33
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Didn't mean to imply sadens side was the only ones at fault. He has made an ardent case that the deficit is a false fear, figured he could do that here as well.(I don't believe it and think both sides have gone punch drunk)
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:47 PM   #34
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

I don't claim to be an expert at this, but as I understand it, U.S. savings bonds are a portion of the national debt. So to refuse to pay off the debt would piss off quite a bit of Americans who've stocked away savings bonds.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:46 AM   #35
GhettoDogAllStars
Playmaker

Yeah, I think the bonds are just one more way of "borrowing" money. I'm not sure, but I think foreign countries buy those up too.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:47 AM   #36
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoDogAllStars View Post
Yeah, I think the bonds are just one more way of "borrowing" money. I'm not sure, but I think foreign countries buy those up too.
Yes, true on both counts.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:42 AM   #37
KLHJ2
Inactive

OK I have done some research. I must say that I was not fully aware of the sitaution. I am not saying that I am an expert either. You guys have a valid point. Calling me a retard and intellectually lazy may not have been the preferred route, but it got my attention.

Anyway, as serious as the deficit is, it is almost foolish to think that anything can be done about it without serious cuts in Defense Spending and SS/Healthcare programs.

Going back to my original post which I ignorantly blurted out, I would like to retract it. I ask this question though "What can really be done, and how much of that can we really do?" We cannot fly a jumbo jet from the toilet seat in the back of the plane.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:32 PM   #38
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry View Post
OK I have done some research. I must say that I was not fully aware of the sitaution. I am not saying that I am an expert either. You guys have a valid point. Calling me a retard and intellectually lazy may not have been the preferred route, but it got my attention.

Anyway, as serious as the deficit is, it is almost foolish to think that anything can be done about it without serious cuts in Defense Spending and SS/Healthcare programs.

Going back to my original post which I ignorantly blurted out, I would like to retract it. I ask this question though "What can really be done, and how much of that can we really do?" We cannot fly a jumbo jet from the toilet seat in the back of the plane.
Props to you for reconsidering your stance, not everyone is willing to do that. There are definitely things we can do to reduce spending but none of them are things everyone in the nation will agree on. They are hard decisions but ones we have to make:

- Increase the Medicare and Social Security eligibility ages.

- Privatize social security so that we can earn a better return on our investments.

- Cut Medicare and/or social security benefits.

- Trim defense spending.

- Cut welfare benefits.

- Trim the prison system via much shorter sentences allowing for prison closures and layoffs.

- Ensure one-time spending tied to Obama's economic recovery act does not repeat itself.

And lots others but those are the biggies.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:46 PM   #39
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry View Post

I think this is the biggest issue most thought out people have with the new "public option"/health care reform. Outside of defense spending the other two main drags on spending are SS and Medicare. Two great social systems we "just had to have". We're saddled with these piece of crap gov't run systems, which are both on the constant verge of utter failure, that cost more and more money each year. Neither works great for what it is intended to do. Neither is very efficient at all. And now we "just have to have" health care reform with a gov't run system that is going to cost as much or more in the long run as these two shit box systems?!?! Why is this hard for people to understand? The gov't not only can't do this it won't even get close to succeeding. And it is only going to cost boat loads of money. Money we don't have. Plus the proposals don't do anything to really address the "problems" with our health care system. Mainly that it costs a lot to get good medical care.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:39 PM   #40
jsarno
Franchise Player

That's impressive that our debt is 1 million dollars every 38 seconds. How many other countries could pull that off?

Although, I guess Obama was right after all...he changed our debt...it's getting worse! haha.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:43 PM   #41
jsarno
Franchise Player

I find this interesting:
Quote:
President Bush expanded the federal budget by a historic $700 billion through 2008. President Obama would add another $1 trillion.
President Bush began a string of expensive finan*cial bailouts. President Obama is accelerating that course.
President Bush created a Medicare drug entitle*ment that will cost an estimated $800 billion in its first decade. President Obama has proposed a $634 billion down payment on a new govern*ment health care fund.
President Bush increased federal education spending 58 percent faster than inflation. Presi*dent Obama would double it.
President Bush became the first President to spend 3 percent of GDP on federal antipoverty programs. President Obama has already in*creased this spending by 20 percent.
President Bush tilted the income tax burden more toward upper-income taxpayers. President Obama would continue that trend.

President Bush presided over a $2.5 trillion increase in the public debt through 2008. Setting aside 2009 (for which Presidents Bush and Obama share responsibility for an additional $2.6 trillion in public debt), President Obama’s budget would add $4.9 trillion in public debt from the beginning of 2010 through 2016.
So to simplify...Bush bad. Obama, FAR WORSE.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:59 PM   #42
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Props to you for reconsidering your stance, not everyone is willing to do that. There are definitely things we can do to reduce spending but none of them are things everyone in the nation will agree on. They are hard decisions but ones we have to make:

- Increase the Medicare and Social Security eligibility ages.

- Privatize social security so that we can earn a better return on our investments.

- Cut Medicare and/or social security benefits.

- Trim defense spending.

- Cut welfare benefits.

- Trim the prison system via much shorter sentences allowing for prison closures and layoffs.

- Ensure one-time spending tied to Obama's economic recovery act does not repeat itself.

And lots others but those are the biggies.
Heck I bet if we just cut back on all the waistful projects we could save a ton of money. Let the states bitch all they want but the federal goverment has to down size and stop taking all of our tax money and passing it around to who ever yells the loudest.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 06:52 PM   #43
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry View Post
ok i have done some research. I must say that i was not fully aware of the sitaution. I am not saying that i am an expert either. You guys have a valid point. Calling me a retard and intellectually lazy may not have been the preferred route, but it got my attention.

Anyway, as serious as the deficit is, it is almost foolish to think that anything can be done about it without serious cuts in defense spending and ss/healthcare programs.

Going back to my original post which i ignorantly blurted out, i would like to retract it. I ask this question though "what can really be done, and how much of that can we really do?" we cannot fly a jumbo jet from the toilet seat in the back of the plane.
nice work......httr
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:10 PM   #44
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Heck I bet if we just cut back on all the waistful projects we could save a ton of money. Let the states bitch all they want but the federal goverment has to down size and stop taking all of our tax money and passing it around to who ever yells the loudest.
How about start with the 350bil or so we WASTE on illegal immigrants???

I've said it before and I'll say it again...if the gov bailed out HOMEOWNERS instead of businesses, our country would have had an instant rebound! Don't think for one second there would not have been some other company willing to pick up where GM (for instance) left off. If you can't run your company to profit, you need to shut down, not be bailed out.

We have a TON of wasteful projects, not sure any of them are going to be cut back, or cut out.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:30 PM   #45
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

I have not really heard.......much of ANY politico want to get a discussion going in the immigration arena..........not good
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote