Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

What was the point of learning cursive in school?

Parking Lot

Old 09-29-2011, 08:59 AM   #31
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Re: What was the point of learning cursive in school?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirClintonPortis View Post
CPUs do not store things. Their "storage" are stuff like the L1 and L2 caches, which only assists them in processing info, not storing them long term.

Dude, I know...I'm in I.T..... most people refer to CPUs as the actual computer...YES...I know that's technically incorrect, but I was NOT referring to the processor chip on the computer.

Advertisements
Old 09-29-2011, 10:27 AM   #32
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
Sure, you could transpose those documents, but being someone who enjoys history, I absolutely hate the idea of everything being stored on some CPU. I personally like the idea of being able to read every word of the authentic document. To me, it's empowering.

And, in this day and age where our country should think in terms of fiscal responsibility, why should we spend millions of dollars on alternate therapies for motor skills when we already have a cost free solution? My point is, to say cursive is a complete waste of time is sorely an incorrect statement to make.
OK, dinosaur.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:37 AM   #33
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Dude, I know...I'm in I.T..... most people refer to CPUs as the actual computer...YES...I know that's technically incorrect, but I was NOT referring to the processor chip on the computer.
Yeah, they're called IBMs, but CPUs...everyone knows that!
Old 09-29-2011, 08:31 PM   #34
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Ok just the other day i was having a conversation sort of like this with my grandma. She turns 75 this year, is in fairly good health for an old person, and she is still independant and able to drive safely and get herself around.

My mom for the longest time has been trying to get her to go paperless on some of her bills because one of the bedrooms in her house is becoming worse than a library with all these returned checks and all that stuff. The point i'm trying to make is there are going to be a lot of people from "back in that day" who still do things the antiquated and archaic way.

My grandma could save herself a lot of time and effort by letting my Mom sign her up for paperless billing on things, and set her up to pay her utilities online (phone, cable, etc...) But my grandma insists on doing it the old-fashioned way, even though some of the places she goes to don't accept checks anymore, my granny doesn't own a credit card, and she is obviously leery about carrying large amounts of cash when she goes to town.

Cursive makes me think of all those things. It was something that worked great once upon a time when people dipped their quills into inkwells and wrote on parchment that was lit up by kersoene lamplight.

There truly is not much use for it today. I'm not busting on the old folks in this post, but honestly the only people i know that still use cursive is the 60+ crowd, and even at my company we all use print on the few documents we have to hand write on.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:43 PM   #35
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Unlike the electron flow standards, I cannot see any reasonable basis for such a disgusting misnomer.

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:48 AM   #36
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Unlike the electron flow standards, I cannot see any reasonable basis for such a disgusting misnomer.
You must be experiencing some type of Intel Disability of the 10th power of Telecommunications.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:29 PM   #37
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
OK, dinosaur.
Whatever man. All I'm saying is, being so dismissive over a learning tool like that tells me one hasn't looked at all evidence of the importance of cursive. Yes, we as adults in this day and age of doing just about everything on computer no longer see the importance of such a learning tool as cursive. That is because we have developed a disconnect with children's learning. And, in my humble opinion, I would much rather use funds to research a better use of technology in areas such as finding cures for deadly diseases, rather than to find a more expensive, alternate way of developing motor skills when there are existing, inexpensive ways of accomplishing the same task.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:33 PM   #38
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Sell insurance? Probably not, because a monkey could do that. But to calculate what the term life premium should be on a 45 year old man who smokes and has heart disease? You need algebra and then some.
This monkey will compare pay checks with that person any day and make him wish he was a monkey.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 03:33 PM   #39
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Sell insurance? Probably not, because a monkey could do that. But to calculate what the term life premium should be on a 45 year old man who smokes and has heart disease? You need algebra and then some.
BTY I don't need algerbra to know that person cannot buy life ins. See even a monkey can do that.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 04:28 PM   #40
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
This monkey will compare pay checks with that person any day and make him wish he was a monkey.
Well to be entirely fair to you, you own your own business. While selling insurance is the business you're in, I'm sure you would acknowledge that you don't spend anywhere near all of your time selling insurance. You are an entrepreneur and an administrator as much as you are an insurance salesman.

I've got respect for what you do, because there's significant risk in it. If things go south and you lose clients, your bottom line takes a direct hit. So I admire the gumption and the ability to be successful in that environment. Keep in mind though, the actuary that makes $90K - $150K developing the insurance premium rates does so with nearly no risk to his income, and excellent hours.

Actuaries are among the most likely professions to leave work on time at 5pm, and are among the least likely to be laid off. You can make a lot of money selling insurance if you run it like an entrepreneur, but you also take on a lot of risk. Algebra buys those guys a pretty smooth life. That's all I'm sayin.

Sorry for minimizing what you do, I know it's more than selling insurance (same cannot be said for all insurance salesmen). Just making the point that math can get you a nice paycheck and great job security.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:29 PM   #41
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
BTY I don't need algerbra to know that person cannot buy life ins. See even a monkey can do that.
Splitting hairs, you get the point. Actuaries use math to calculate premiums for anybody, I could have just as easily used a 25 year old non smoker who goes to bed at 9:30 for an example.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:20 PM   #42
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Quote:
You must be experiencing some type of Intel Disability of the 10th power of Telecommunications.
Oh, you want to going into a war of which one of us is the more skilled geek here? I'm one of those guys who don't need any demystification when going into computer jargon and doesn't faint at the sight of opening the case and seeing the motherboard. If I wanted to, I could have pursued a computer science degree real easy.
There is no sense behind this usage of CPU. None.

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:34 PM   #43
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Oh, you want to going into a war of which one of us is the more skilled geek here? I'm one of those guys who don't need any demystification when going into computer jargon and doesn't faint at the sight of opening the case and seeing the motherboard. If I wanted to, I could have pursued a computer science degree real easy.
There is no sense behind this usage of CPU. None.
I gotta agree with SCP here (and I did go to college and get my degree as well broke open towers for a long time). Most people would say " on a computer somewhere" in the sentence that started this mess. Of course using the form "most people" leaves it open for defining how "most" is quantified. All in all seems like the point that data is being stored somewhere else was clear from the original sentence, so now everyone has split some hairs somewhere.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:18 PM   #44
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Oh, you want to going into a war of which one of us is the more skilled geek here? .
Greatest first line of a post ever! Sig worthy
Old 09-30-2011, 07:34 PM   #45
MTK
\m/

If we're having a geek off I think SCP has a pretty good resume

http://www.thewarpath.net/parking-lo...an-distro.html