Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

With the 19th Pick, the WFT selects....

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-20-2021, 09:22 AM   #1
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Re: With the 19th Pick, the WFT selects....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinzWin View Post
If Darrisaw falls to 19, you have to go that way.
Absolutely!
Old 04-20-2021, 08:18 AM   #2
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Scalper, cred, gridiron...answer the damn question.

Tell me who they take at 19

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 01:24 PM   #3
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post

I think we will target LB so probably Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, unless Parsons falls to us.
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 03:47 PM   #4
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:

If there JOK.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 04:26 AM   #5
Scalper

Quote:

There is not enough reliable information to make anything except a blind guess, which is all most mock drafts are. I also think some of the names draftniks love are not those FOs love.

I think top-3 QBs and Sewell, Pitts, Chase go top-10 or before we pick. Beyond that, who knows?

You'd love to see teams draft 5 QBs and 3-4 WRs before we pick so we get a guy rated much higher than 19, but. . .

If we have no T with high grade left on board and all 5 QBs gone, I hope we trade back, barring something absurd like Parsons falling. I prefer proven PASS blocking LTs, I don't care about run blocking, which means some Ts draftniks rate high I would have no interest in.

If we exit round 1 with one of franchise LTs, that would be best outcome in my opinion. As to who we'll pick, I don't know nor does anyone, so seems pointless to just throw darts at a board. Most years don't find franchise LT sitting there at 20 or so where we hopefully pick long term, so get one now. You can always find LBs or WRs. Stud pass blocking LTs much rarer, and again, one of 5 high-leverage positions. Outside of top-tier Ts, lot of guys in second tier very similar, trading down thus may be smart. My ideal draft would be multiple trade downs and we walk away with LT,RT,OLB,ILB,OLB,FS,FS,QB,QB,RB,WR,CB,TE,TE. That's 14 picks we could easily make, even if you knock one or two off, 12 picks. I would much rather have 2 #2s and 3 #3s and 2 #4s (or whatever) and no #1 and maybe get 5-6 starters--unless franchise LT sitting there at 19. We still have severe talent deficit from previous mismanagement and need 10-15 quality players. Thus I would trade down every chance I could so next year we don't have to sign 8 FAs and still don't have holes all over roster. This is MUCH more important than any single player at any pick, except a franchise QB or franchise LT. If I were GM, my focus would be drafting 2 QBs (never would have signed Fitz) and drafting 2 Ts so can let Moses and Lucas walk next year, without reaching for need. If LB waits a year, not optimal, but oh well. You win in trenches and never win multiple SBs without franchise QB, so I'd be using lottery picks on QB without trading up and focus on making OL as dominant as DL.

Will be interesting if Lance or Jones falls to 13 or so, and if we trade up, but who knows if that will happen.
Scalper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 09:09 AM   #6
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalper View Post
There is not enough reliable information to make anything except a blind guess, which is all most mock drafts are. I also think some of the names draftniks love are not those FOs love.

I think top-3 QBs and Sewell, Pitts, Chase go top-10 or before we pick. Beyond that, who knows?

You'd love to see teams draft 5 QBs and 3-4 WRs before we pick so we get a guy rated much higher than 19, but. . .

If we have no T with high grade left on board and all 5 QBs gone, I hope we trade back, barring something absurd like Parsons falling. I prefer proven PASS blocking LTs, I don't care about run blocking, which means some Ts draftniks rate high I would have no interest in.

If we exit round 1 with one of franchise LTs, that would be best outcome in my opinion. As to who we'll pick, I don't know nor does anyone, so seems pointless to just throw darts at a board. Most years don't find franchise LT sitting there at 20 or so where we hopefully pick long term, so get one now. You can always find LBs or WRs. Stud pass blocking LTs much rarer, and again, one of 5 high-leverage positions. Outside of top-tier Ts, lot of guys in second tier very similar, trading down thus may be smart. My ideal draft would be multiple trade downs and we walk away with LT,RT,OLB,ILB,OLB,FS,FS,QB,QB,RB,WR,CB,TE,TE. That's 14 picks we could easily make, even if you knock one or two off, 12 picks. I would much rather have 2 #2s and 3 #3s and 2 #4s (or whatever) and no #1 and maybe get 5-6 starters--unless franchise LT sitting there at 19. We still have severe talent deficit from previous mismanagement and need 10-15 quality players. Thus I would trade down every chance I could so next year we don't have to sign 8 FAs and still don't have holes all over roster. This is MUCH more important than any single player at any pick, except a franchise QB or franchise LT. If I were GM, my focus would be drafting 2 QBs (never would have signed Fitz) and drafting 2 Ts so can let Moses and Lucas walk next year, without reaching for need. If LB waits a year, not optimal, but oh well. You win in trenches and never win multiple SBs without franchise QB, so I'd be using lottery picks on QB without trading up and focus on making OL as dominant as DL.

Will be interesting if Lance or Jones falls to 13 or so, and if we trade up, but who knows if that will happen.
Scalper, tell me who the franchise LT is at 19

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 09:41 AM   #7
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Exactly.

There won't be one. You'd be better off trading the 19th pick for Orlando Brown Jr. if you are that bent on landing a "franchise" LT at that spot. BTW, I'm not suggesting they do that...

The only projected franchise LT in this draft is Sewell, and there are plenty of talent evaluators that have mixed opinions about that - given his year off. Slater is projected to be the 2nd OT off the board, but many think his best fit will be at guard, and that Darrisaw has a higher ceiling at LT than Slater. After that - Mayfield, Jenkins, Radunz, Little, Brown, Christensen, Leatherwood, Cosmi, Eichenberg... take your pick, but no need to draft one of these guys at 19.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 02:44 AM   #8
Scalper

Quote:
I'm not a professional scout, LOL.
I think Sewell long gone. Darrisaw viewed as equal good pass run blocker, Slater as better pure pass blocker, but both very good. I'd be happy with either. Most pundits have those as the big-3 tackles, top 3, with dropoff to next tier. Whether that is accurate I cannot say. Then you have about 8 tackles with 2nd round grades. A couple are certainly going to pan out better than others, but which ones? Different people have different opinions. I don't want to spend a 1st round pick on LT to get elite run blocker, it is a high leverage position because it protects your QB from the Chase Youngs of the world. I also don't want to spend that pick on a player we slide to G permanently (the Scherff problem of owing a G $20M end of rookie deal, McL drafted him saying he's a T). I want the best pass protector, and one that is elite.

If you have the next 8 tackles all rated about same, no reason you couldn't trade down and still get franchise LT. You could also trade end of 1st round and pick non-5 QB you like to make sure you get him.

Leatherwood viewed as dominant run blocker first. So is Jenkins. Cosmi played both Ts, prefer someone who was strictly LT (flashed athleticism to be unequivocal LT). Eichenberg and Tucker short arms, many project to G. We don't need at G at 19. Tucker some list as 4th T and in group with the top-3 going top-20. Carman not dominant pass blocker. Eichenberg seems more like RT. And so forth. Radunz they talk about at G, but seems like could play T, but like him better 2nd round. Little bit of x-factor. Tucker, if you believe he's a LT, seems more like end of 1st round pick. I only see three players that unequivocally make sense at LT at 19, Sewell, Slater, Darrisaw, but most think all three gone by 19. If you assume all 5 QBs gone, plus Pitts Chase, that is 10 picks. Parsons should be off your board for character flag, but hopefully someone takes him first, 11 picks. Then you figure couple edge rushers, couple more WRs, takes you to 15. Figure 2 corners, 17. At 19 you might BPA be looking at a corner, Farley or Horn. Maybe DL or Moehrig gets taken before us, maybe not. Think some good WRs could be there also, but I get feeling based on signing basically NO ONE at LB in FA, that we will go LB early in draft if not 1st round.

I don't love TOK. He's a playmaker, but he's basically a S at LB. Going to take a beating in NFL being so light, not unprecedented, and you could do worse, would certainly end some of torching in coverage, but I see big RBs running outside a lot with him there and getting big gains. . . You still have to rate him higher than most of the second tier LTs though.

I would rather take a CB or WR at #19 if BPA, we can't tie up any more major money at either position in FA for several years except to extend McL, so having guys on rookie deal not dumb, and can extend after Samuel or Jackson deals expire. That is probably smartest LONG TERM move, fill one of 5 high leverage positions and lock it up long term, assuming player you are picking scouts out as 10 year starter. We could, in particular, use a third CB, and Fuller much better in slot, to say nothing of nickel, injury, etc.

It sucks such thin draft for FS at top.

I basically don't love anyone available when we pick, barring QB or LT falling, one of top ones. If you are determined to fill need at LB with LT and QB not available (2 high leverage positions), rather than going BPA which is probably WR or CB, then I would trade back to late 1st early second, pickup 2-3 add'l picks, and draft one of second-tier LTs or a LB or QB. How much better is JOK than Cox or Davis? If you could trade back to say 45 and add a 2nd round pick, and get Cox or Davis instead of JOK and a LT or QB, do you? I do. Simply because bust rate is 50%, you add two more picks, you get 1 more non-bust. We have been basically adding 3 starters and 1 solid backup per draft, with about 8 picks or so, recently. I would trade back and try and make that 5 starters and 2 solid backups, to continue filling out our roster.

That being said, I would not be surprised to see FO take JOK and fill biggest need that can be filled (there being no FS, QB, LT, etc.). If lots of players we like are gone early, trade down offers limited, and good value trade up, I could also see them moving to 10 or 14 or so and drafting QB. Whatever they will do, what I would do is trade down every time I could. I would call all 31 teams for every pick, field all trade down offers, and take any reasonable offer I could get, with emphasis on (1) pick this year's draft, (1) add'l pick this years draft and (1) pick next year's draft. I would gladly trade a 2nd for a 3rd and 4th this year and a 3rd next year, for example. I'd do that 5 times if I could. Then you have 3 3rds and a 4th this year, I'd trade a 3rd for a 4th, 5th this year, plus a 4th next year (you'd really need one other pick to make sense), and so forth. You basically bump every pick down a round to pick up 1 add'l pick minimum, ideally 2 add'l and one next year. You then have 4-5 more picks this year, 3-4 more next year, for what in aggregate represents surrendering 2nd round pick, though I'd trade 1st as well. This again reflects philosophy that more lottery tickets better. I would do this every year until we have 10 picks per year minimum 3 years out, and until entire roster rounded out without having to sign 10 guys in FA every year. Only exceptions are franchise LT and franchise QB.

Many teams placing big premium on future picks this year, however, because COVID has so many players not playing who may never regain their peak form.
Old 04-23-2021, 02:53 AM   #9
Scalper

If Parsons is there, I could see FO taking him despite character flags, while offering usual platitudes about having done their HW on him, etc.

I think we need a true thumper in middle more than anything else, even coverage LB, but you don't have to spend a super-high pick on one.
Old 04-20-2021, 09:23 AM   #10
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

It's really not just as simple as BPA. I do think teams go into the draft with the players ranked and the BPA strategy in mind, and they try to stick to that, but no team sticks to that exclusively when it’s time for them to execute in reality. Ultimately, if they decide another position is more valuable, or another player is more of a fit for the system and they believe he will turn into a productive player, they will stray from the BPA strategy.

For example, if the highest rated player on their board when they pick at #19 is a defensive end, I guarantee you they won't draft him. They'll take the next highest ranked player at a position of need, who fits their system (or they'll try to trade out).

Last year it was easy in the first round. Chase Young was the best player in the draft. For Jacksonville this year, it's easy. Trevor Lawrence has been the #1 pick in the 2021 draft for about four years now.

It's not always that cut and dry though. That's why they get 10 minutes to make a selection, and most of them take it all.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 04:02 AM   #11
Scalper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
It's really not just as simple as BPA. I do think teams go into the draft with the players ranked and the BPA strategy in mind, and they try to stick to that, but no team sticks to that exclusively when it’s time for them to execute in reality. Ultimately, if they decide another position is more valuable, or another player is more of a fit for the system and they believe he will turn into a productive player, they will stray from the BPA strategy.

For example, if the highest rated player on their board when they pick at #19 is a defensive end, I guarantee you they won't draft him. They'll take the next highest ranked player at a position of need, who fits their system (or they'll try to trade out).

Last year it was easy in the first round. Chase Young was the best player in the draft. For Jacksonville this year, it's easy. Trevor Lawrence has been the #1 pick in the 2021 draft for about four years now.

It's not always that cut and dry though. That's why they get 10 minutes to make a selection, and most of them take it all.
If highest rated DE, you trade down, as you noted. But the truth is taking a player at any position except DL would be okay with 1st round pick this year, so odds are a player you can use is there.
If player ranked #10 or #12 on board sitting there at 19, you take them. If players ranked 18,19,20 are, and minor difference in talent grade, need factors in. Good teams don't pigeonhole need with high picks, long term you end up MUCH more talented by going BPA early rounds. If you go BPA for a decade with 10 1st round picks, versus drafting guys slotted much lower for need, your roster is MUCH, MUCH more talented.

Later in draft there will generally be more players with similar grades, easier to target need, though some players will always drop. You go BPA consistently, round out with FA. That is how dynasties are built.
Old 04-20-2021, 12:13 PM   #12
SunnySide
Playmaker

Therea s bunch of guys I like at 19 and theyve all been mentioned here. I think one of the big WRs may drop and that hasnt been mentioned.

BUT I know who we are taking in the 2nd round ... QB Kellen Mond, Texas A&M. I didnt know who he was til I saw CBS mocking him to us in the 2nd. Looks like a Dak Prescott clone, hopefully. Pats and lots of others linked to him as a 3rd round steal ..

Im sold on teh guy but Im a sucker for overly glossy draft write ups ..

---------------------------

Strengths: Through his four years at Texas A&M, Mond did not just gain some valuable starting experience and show the desired durability — he started 44 of his 47 career games while playing in a pro-style scheme against SEC competition — but also got better with every game. His growth has not just manifested itself in his statistical output but also in his improved overall play and progressing skills.

Mond’s big arm and ability to drive the ball down the field has always been impressive, but he also showed that he can go through his progressions, handle pressure and manipulate defenders with his eyes. A good anticipatory thrower, he is playing off a solid platform that allows him to throw some of the better deep balls in this year’s class and also make plays when forced off his spot or to let the ball go without a clean platform.

His arm does not just have the necessary strength to distribute the ball all over the field, but he also showed the touch and precision needed to become a successful passer at the next level. On top of that, he offers a strong athletic foundation to work with. While not to be confused with other top-tier dual-threat quarterbacks such as Trey Lance, he has scored 22 rushing touchdowns through his career and gained 1,608 yards on the ground.

Weaknesses: While Mond did post some solid numbers in his four years as an Aggie, he also had his fair share of issues mostly tied to his decision making. He oftentimes seemed to stare down his targets and was slow to react when plays started to break down around him, leading to inaccuracies and sloppy attempts. He also threw some high-risk passes in order to make something out of nothing, and appeared much more confident targeting the middle of the field rather than going outside the numbers.

His touchdown-interception rate (71:27) is impressive, it is not fully reflective of his come-and-go accuracy or ability to make “wow” plays. In general, his ceiling can be questioned as well: Mond put up some solid numbers in college, but will he be able to take the next step in his development at the pro level or never progress beyond backup status? In order to find success in the NFL he also will have to learn to get rid of the ball faster than he did at Texas A&M; at times he took forever to get rid of the ball, increasing the fumble risk.

His athleticism is a nice tool and can be taken advantage of when used in the right system, but he will not be confused with the Cam Newtons of the world: he is a fine athlete with the ball in his hands, capable of escaping the pocket, but he won’t run over defenders or break many tackle attempts. He also was primarily used as a shotgun passer and will need to learn to take snaps from under center. Mond also had some big losses on his résumé when the team relied on his right arm to get the job done.

https://www.patspulpit.com/2021/4/19...-mond-texas-am
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 12:31 PM   #13
MTK
\m/

I'd take Mills all day over Mond.
Old 04-20-2021, 12:35 PM   #14
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Same
Old 04-20-2021, 11:21 PM   #15
SkinzWin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
I’m not in favor of a project quarterback. I feel like it’s a waste of a pick.
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Team Heinicke Fan Club
punch it in - CEO
SkinzWin - President
FrenchSkin - VP of Global Operations
ODUsmitty - Director of Cheerleader Fulfillment
Meks - Director of Marketing
SkinzWin is offline   Reply With Quote