Bucket's Breakdown Week 1.

Locker Room Main Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-12-2011, 12:27 AM   #1
Bucket
Playmaker

Bucket's Breakdown Week 1.

The Good

Rex Grossman : Rex seemed to put the doubters to rest for at least one week, and after a slow 0-4 start, Rex started to get into a good poise and produce some great throws for 4 potential scoring drives. The fade route to AA was one of the best throws iv'e seen from a quarterback in a Redskins uniform in 10 years. Even though the offensive line gave up some "lookout" blocks for Rex and gave him a pounding. He still stepped up most of the time and took the hit while making the throw. The fumble was bad, but I couldn't put it all on Rex after watching the play again. Trent Williams has to do a better job which i'll get to more below.

Rex has taken the leadership role. Listening to him post game and taking the blame for most of the sacks and not blaming the Oline is only proof that Shannahan is making the right choice for our under center general.

DeAngelo Hall : For all the critics he's had from last year and in the offseason. Hall played lights out today. He made big plays that wont show up on the stat sheet which seems to matter to most of his critics, but the blitz on 3rd down, and the pass break up on 2nd and long was 2 of the bright spots that come to mind.

Ryan Kerrigan : Wow, did this rookie have a great first game. His INT is one of the things I really don't even need to mention. The way he filled gaps and made plays one the run was great. Early in the game when Eli ran a playfake that made most of the defense bite. Kerrigan stayed strong and covered his man in the flats while the delay blitz got there. Oh, and the INT/TD was great too!

Fred Davis : I don't think i really need to get in to how great Fred Davis looked. He did really well stretching the field and sitting in the zones and not going down easy as he put on the extra yards. His speed looked great and if we were not so deep at WR I would say he would make a great possession WR in the NFL.

The Bad

Offensive Line : The failed to open up holes for Hightower to get started in the 2nd half, and really blew a lot of assignments on blitz pickups to leave Rex open for punishment. One thing I noticed today was that the redskins only ran 1 screen pass, and I thought we would run a lot more screens with the Giants known for being so aggressive. We need to hit the film room hard and fix our issues at the Oline asap.

Graham Gano : I don't know what to say about Gano really besides he missed his only FG attempt in the game and it was a big one. It was our first drive into scoring range, and really put more pressure on our defense through out the game because I kept thinking.. "It should be 10 point game right now". His kickoffs were outstanding and everything else Graham did was impressive, but if he's not making points for the team then we need to bring in someone who will.

The Ugly

Trent Williams : I already spoke about the offensive line, but I felt like Silverback needed to get pointed out this game. He's looking more bust then game breaker at this point, and I know it's only one game right now, but in the NFL you're really only as good as your last game to a lot of critics and he will be the topic of conversation in the Oline film room. He struggles really bad against the speed DE's, and was getting out moved by Pierre tonight who is really just a poor mans version of Dwight Freeney. If this issue isn't resolved quickly and he doesn't improve. We may take a step back on the rebuilding process in the Oline where we thought we had already addressed the issue.

Player of the Game

Rex Grossman : Guy played lights out behind center, and even though he seemed to be peeling himself off the canvas on every pass play. he still hung in there and gave us the push we needed to overcome the Giants and move to 1-0.

Last edited by Bucket; 09-12-2011 at 12:30 AM.
Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote