Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Trades of the Shanahan era

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-23-2011, 05:25 PM   #31
MTK
\m/

Re: Trades of the Shanahan era

Ouch... 4th best on the roster? Tebow has a long way to go. He's a pretty big project considering he was a 1st rounder.

Advertisements
Old 08-23-2011, 05:34 PM   #32
NYCskinfan82
Playmaker

Tim Tebow pick was a joke nice guy but way to high 3rd or 4th round pick yes but 1st please. Ain't mad at TT if you pick me in the 1st thanks.
NYCskinfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:17 PM   #33
skinsnut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbanerjee23 View Post
If Gaffney ends up being our #2 guy (which he almost certainly will be), it is still a good trade b/c Jarmon had done nothing and really struggled in the 3-4
Perhaps he is suggesting that since Jarmon was a 3rd round draft pick that Gaffney for a 3rd is ho hum?

PS...I like Gaffney!
and...I do think Jarmon has potential on a 4-3
Old 08-24-2011, 08:47 AM   #34
Coff
Impact Rookie

This article is dumb. It's making the argument (as seen in the title of the article) that the Redskins have recently been making successful trades, but the argument is predicated on the idea that the players will be successful.
Coff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:57 AM   #35
MTK
\m/

Well, it's just evaluating things as of right now, of course the ultimate judgment of these deals is yet to come.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:16 AM   #36
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coff View Post
This article is dumb. It's making the argument (as seen in the title of the article) that the Redskins have recently been making successful trades, but the argument is predicated on the idea that the players will be successful.

Yeah I agree there were a lot if's in that article but I would say they have all been low risk high reward expect for the McNabb trade which was a big risk with high reward.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:26 AM   #37
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon View Post
If Gaffney is a threat as a WR here, the Skins probably got the best of the deal - - assuming Jarmon does not light it up in Denver. However, Gaffney has been around for a long time without ever being more than just a guy at WR.

I'd love to be in the position of underestimating him...
It doesn't matter what Jarmon does in Denver. I like Jarmon a lot but he did not fit our system and was not going to contribute here. So even if Gaffney is "just a guy," that's likely more than Jarmon was going to be for us. If Gaffney produces and Jarmon produces, that's a win-win for both teams.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:48 AM   #38
rbanerjee23
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsnut View Post
Perhaps he is suggesting that since Jarmon was a 3rd round draft pick that Gaffney for a 3rd is ho hum?

PS...I like Gaffney!
and...I do think Jarmon has potential on a 4-3
That may be but in the big scheme of things, to me personally, I don't care if our production comes from 1st rounders or from UFAs as long as there is production and the skins are successful. One possible argument is that for a certain pick there is a certain salary and therefore certain expectations -- problem is, I don't care, I'm not paying that guy's salary and whether or not they pay some guy an outrageous signing bonus is not going to make an appreciable difference in my life.

-Mike Shanahan

HTTR
rbanerjee23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:49 PM   #39
T.O.Killa
The Starter

I just realized that Jeremy Jarmon, did not make the roster in Denver. It has probably already been said, but I have not seen it. I thought I would pass it along, so we can have another feel good moment. Also, we got Adam Carricker, by swapping our 5th round draft choice for theirs. A starter for a swapped 5th rounder and a starting receiver for a player that did not make the team. It looks like our front office is making up for years of stupidity, quickly.
T.O.Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:18 PM   #40
Bucket
Playmaker

Rams are missing WR's now.. I bet we could make a move with Stallworth to them.
Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:24 PM   #41
ethat001
Impact Rookie

To summarize above:
1) Hightower (or VHoliday) - fantastic trade, starting RB
2) JBrown (for 3rd vs. 5th picks) - good trade so far, starting RT
3) RKerrigan + Hankerson + Helu (for 10th pick B.Gabbert) - great trade so far, starting LB
4) J.Gaffney (for Jarmon) - good trade, starting WR (TD first game)
5) Carriker (for almost free) - great trade, starting DLine
6) Beck (for dutch) -- ? probably good trade
7) McNabb - MISS

2011 draft:
- Kerrigan (1) - looks great so far, rookie of week
- Jenkins (2), Neild (7) - look great so far, reserving final judgement
- Helu (4) Niles Paul (5), B.Thompson (7), Gomes (5) - ?look good, reserving judgement
- Hank (3) - ? reserving judgement
2010 draft
- TWilliams (1st round) - usually good, reserving judgement
- TAustin (7th round) - good find late rounds
- P.Riley (4), Cook (7) - ??
- did not have picks in 2nd (Mcnabb), 3rd (Jarmon)

Great job, very impressed with front office. They seem to be EXCELLENT talent evaluators so far. Of the moves above, he hit on 6 of 7 trade, and drafted very well. Remade the entire team in 2 years. Can't wait - if we keep this up, we'll have a team of talented young players and just continue to add quality depth. This is how you build a team and a franchise, and how you compete for the Super Bowl.

If these young guys continue to perform and we continue to draft/trade well, we will be competitve for at least the next 5-10 years. Wish we got rid of Cerrato years ago - this talent would have taken him 15 years to obtain.
ethat001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:01 AM   #42
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Technically Austin was part of the Carriker deal.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:41 AM   #43
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

I wanna keep stallworth just incase
Old 09-14-2011, 12:02 PM   #44
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon View Post
Trades that look good during the exhibition season sometimes work out and sometimes do not. That is reality...

Yes, some of the trades look good so far but let us not get too carried away with the analysis just yet.

1. The John Beck for Doug Dutch trade MIGHT be akin to a bank heist - - IF John Beck really is the Skins' starting QB AND IF in that role as the starting QB he produces a winning record. If Beck is the starter and the team is 4-12, maybe that wasn't such a great trade. If Beck carries a clipboard for 15 games this year, this is not a great trade but it would be "advantage Skins". Wait a bit on this one...

2. Jamaal Brown was hardly a difference maker last year playing on a horrible offensive line. Wait to see how he plays this year. If he is a serviceable OT, then the Skins got the better of that deal unless Martez Wilson somehow morphs into the second coming of Lawrence Taylor. (Highly unlikely...)

3. Jabar Gaffney for Jeramy Jarmon? Ho-hum...

4. Tim Hightower for Vonnie Holliday was a GREAT trade for the Skins. I said on another thread that Hightower has the potential - - barring injury - - to be the best Redskins' RB since John Riggins and I continue to believe that.

5. Kerrigan has looked OK so far but still has a lot to show in order to be a difference maker. I did not like Gabbert coming out of college so of course I think the trade is a good one right now - - assuming that Gabbert is a flop. But assuming he will be a flop based on the evidence to date is no more rational than thinking John Beck will be a star QB based on the evidence to date. Time to sit back and wait to make a final judgment.

6. Helu looks like an NFL player so far. Hankerson looks like a guy with good college stats who has not yet grasped what it means to play on Sundays. Projecting both as important cogs in the Skins' offense for years to come is premature.

7. Best trade of all was Haynesworth for a 5th round pick. That was like taking your garbage bag back to the super market and having them give you a bag of pretzels and a six pack in return...
Your post is ho-hum.

I've never seen a bigger pessimist in my life. ALL of these trades were huge upgrades, excellent value, all of the possible positive descriptions you hear about any trade. Even if Beck does not start, he's a backup that we have faith in and could start. Dutch isn't even PS-worthy. Jarmon had talent but not in a 3-4. Gaffney has been a consistent contributor his entire career and has a history with Rex. Helu will be great. Kerrigan already is.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:37 AM   #45
skins89moss
Playmaker

How about the biggest Shanny trade that sent Champ Bailey to Denver for Portis and we gave Denver a 2nd rd pick. It was a win for both teams but damn why give up a 2nd rd pick. Even then Shanny was getting the better of player trades.