Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 10:32 AM   #31
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Re: Graham Gano has to Go !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirClintonPortis View Post
Word.

However, I think we should consider whether the holder is screwing things up as well.
Sunberg can be blamed for at least 2 of his misses. The other was the crap-icing tactic after he nailed the first one from 52.

When Gano gets a good snap and hold, he's the best kicker we've had for ages. I don't get that nauseous feeling I got when Suisham trotted onto the field. I'm confident in Gano.

Advertisements
Old 10-25-2010, 11:59 AM   #32
#56fanatic
The Starter

If we lost the game yesterday, some of these "give the guy a break" posts would be different. Fact is the guy is missing makable field goals. He is in the NFL, those kicks are suppose to be good. Especially from 37 freaking yards. Those should be damn well automatic for NFL kickers. Hell, anything 45 and in seems to be good with GOOD kickers. I like the guys leg, but damn he is missing too many makable kicks. luckily the ones from yesterday and GB game didn't cost us. but the ones from the Texans game cost us. Didn't he miss one in the Dallas game too? I wish so desperately we could find a damn kicker that is a franchise kicker. Seems like every year we have the same problems with that part of the game. I dont know about you, but i get nervous when the guy kicks an extra point, not alone an actualy field goal.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:04 PM   #33
MTK
\m/

He's got a good leg and is pretty young, I would ride him out for the rest of the year at least. Not really any better options out there, just ask the Saints.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:05 PM   #34
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
just ask the Saints.
Or Chargers.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
Old 10-25-2010, 12:08 PM   #35
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

I say keep him. I like that he can line up from > 45 yds and I don't have this feeling of "no way in hell he makes this kick" like i did with Squeez'em.

Thomas Paine
Old 10-25-2010, 12:12 PM   #36
ethat001
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Gano feels 'confident'

With Sunday's failed attempt in the fourth quarter, place kicker Graham Gano has missed field goals in three straight games. However, Gano said he feels like he's kicking the ball better than ever.

"I think I'm more confident leaving this game than I have been," said Gano.

Gano nailed a 46-yarder in the second quarter and is 13 of 18 on the season. "I don't think I've hit a ball that well this season," Gano said. "I just think I keep getting better and better."

But the field goal the Redskins really needed came in the fourth quarter. Washington led by only three points and Gano could've given them a bit of breathing room. He trotted on the field for a 37-yarder and felt pretty good as the ball flew off his foot.

"I hit it awesome," he said. "I hit it right off my foot. I thought, 'Oh, that's a good kick.' It was going right down the middle. The wind just took it and pushed it to the upright."

It hit the left upright square, in fact, and fell to the ground. Wind was a factor all game. The official game summary noted that the wind was blowing 11 mph to the southwest, though that changed many times over the course of the afternoon.

washingtonpost.com
I agree, Gano is still the guy - at least for now. By all reports it was windy, and he's made 49 and 52 yarders (his first attempt) in the past. I like his confidence - I think that's almost as important as skill as a kicker. You've got to be able to take 100,000 eyes on you and fifty-two 300 pound men scowling at you in the locker room if you miss.

After all, he "hit it awesome".
Old 10-25-2010, 12:45 PM   #37
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

I dont know if it was going right down the middle. It looked more like it was going to squeeze by the left upright and the lack of wind calculation pushed it to hit the upright.

Nevertheless, still the best option we have. Give him the full year. I also have him on my fantasy squad, so I don't really feel like spending time finding another kicker this week.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:04 PM   #38
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbanerjee23 View Post
Graham Gano has to be replaced --

The guy is 13 for 17 and among the worst in the league in terms of accuracy. He missed one from 37 yards out today that we could have really used. He missed a kick that could have won the game against Green Bay and he missed 2 in the game against Houston, one of which would have won the game in OT.

In my opinion, we need to look at picking up a kicker and releasing this guy because he is the opposite of clutch and I don't trust him with the game on the line.

edit: in the offseason -- I would agree that there aren't a whole lot of options to choose from
Terrible thread. Who are you going to bring in here that is any better? If you saw the miss yesterday the wind was really howling and it seemed to push the ball over to the left. And the GB miss was over 50 yards but he came back to win the game. So tired of knee jerk fans like you.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:10 PM   #39
horse
Impact Rookie

This is one of those things were he could be better, but who are we gonna get to replace him?
Old 10-25-2010, 01:12 PM   #40
aceinthehouse
Special Teams

How many games has this guy played here? 8 maybe 9?
Can we at least give the guy a full season,before cutting him please?

We got rid of Akers and look how his career turned out?
Ask Cowboy fans how they feel about cutting the young Nick Folk,who's now 13/15 on the 5-1 Jets)?
How did the saints do,when they replaced Hartley for 1 game? Didn't work out...luckily for them,he wasn't cut,as he too would have been scooped up and gone!

The only game where you can actually blame him for the Loss,is the texans game in the 30-27 OT loss. And he originally MADE THE KICK from 52 yards. Only to be iced...

I don't know..maybe give the guy a full freakin' season,before cutting him maybe?
He's made big kicks in the G.B. game
Eagles game
Colts game
and the winner for the bears game...

Way too fickle guys...way too fickle...
Old 10-25-2010, 01:26 PM   #41
celts32
Playmaker

Not ready to give up on him yet. Mid season kicking changes rarely produce better results. The skins need to develop a long term kicker and stop the revolving door, they should give this kid the season to see if he can be that guy. At least his kickoffs are good which is important also.

“Goal line, goal line. I-left, tight wing, 70 chip on white.”

www.facebook.com/HackettstownBeerClub
Old 10-25-2010, 01:26 PM   #42
TheSmurfs22
The Starter

Keep him, besides who are you going to bring in? The ones that are available are so for a reason.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:29 PM   #43
SouperMeister
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinthehouse View Post

Ask Cowboy fans how they feel about cutting the young Nick Folk,who's now 13/15 on the 5-1 Jets)?
How did the saints do,when they replaced Hartley for 1 game? Didn't work out...luckily for them,he wasn't cut,as he too would have been scooped up and gone!

The only game where you can actually blame him for the Loss,is the texans game in the 30-27 OT loss. And he originally MADE THE KICK from 52 yards. Only to be iced...

I don't know..maybe give the guy a full freakin' season,before cutting him maybe?
Eagles game
Colts game

I totally agree. Gano is the most talented young kicker we've had since Chip Lohmiller, whom I recall lost games with big kicks as a rookie. I say ride out his growing pains, and we just might be rewarded with years of solid kicking. He's certainly the best that we've had on kickoffs in years. Don't forget the long kick he made at the end of the Dallas game. People act as if he's choking on every clutch kick, and that is certainly not the case.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:36 PM   #44
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinthehouse View Post

Eagles game
Colts game

Sorry but if he made the kick we would have won. He kicked a ball through the goal but he DID NOT MAKE THE KICK.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:55 PM   #45
rypper11
The Starter

I'm not going to say that this is the worst thread started (though it would be if we didn't have other knee jerk goofy people posting here) or that it is from the least informed "fan" (we still have the Landry is a bust folks). However, his 75% puts him in good company historically.

NFL Active Field Goal % Leaders | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Of course, nobody is Gary Anderson (who's only miss all season allowed his team to stay home instead of winning the NFC championship).