Trayvon Martin Case

Debating with the enemy

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 01:43 PM   #31
dmek25
MVP

Re: Trayvon Martin Case

thought this was interesting....

Host Gayle King brought up an interesting wrinkle in the story. While it has been widely speculated that Martin’s death was racially-motivated on some level, King noted that Zimmerman’s family have shared that he is himself a Spanish-speaking minority with black family members of his own.

Advertisements
Old 03-23-2012, 01:46 PM   #32
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinRat View Post
You sound WAAAAY to personally invested to make a reasoned argument based on how you're posting. Calm down.

I am personally invested because if it can happen to Trayvon it could happen to my on son. Why shouldn't anyone else for that matter be invested? Or maybe the thinking is "just another nigger in the wrong place at the wrong time...right?"

Quote:
Adjust your head-pointer, the sweat is making you miss words.

How smart would I need to be to post on this forum? They allow you to post so I'm happy I can exceed whatever entrance exam you've passed.

Apparently not very smart but this has been the case for a while. It just so happens that it's becoming more and more blatant nowadays. You would think this case wouldn't require much brain power to analyze the fail points in this case.

Hearing you lot you would think Trayvon murdered himself. It's disgusting.

-Jenkins
Old 03-23-2012, 01:52 PM   #33
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post

Host Gayle King brought up an interesting wrinkle in the story. While it has been widely speculated that Martin’s death was racially-motivated on some level, King noted that Zimmerman’s family have shared that he is himself a Spanish-speaking minority with black family members of his own.
There are two reasons why race played a role.

1. Zimmerman spotted the black teen and assuming he didn't belong in the predominately white neighborhood.
2. Police action after the murder of Trayvon.

And so what if the killer's father claims he is Hispanic and has some black sister in-law? At the end of the day he isn't black and he profiled the kid. I mean, how many fcking white kids did he follow around prior to Trayvon huh? What happened is complete bullshit, from the murder to police action after the murder.

-Jenkins

Last edited by saden1; 03-23-2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:58 PM   #34
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:

What if he hates those family members too? I don't think he is "join the KKK-racist" but what if he dislikes black people, and that fed into his belief that Trayvon was up to no good and therefore deserved to be followed?

Look at it this way, I'm white, my family is white, does that mean I love white people? Absolutely not. In fact, I dislike a large portion of white people that have grown up in better circumstances than myself, mainly for their pampered upbringing that coincides with their lazy lifestyle. Do I dislike them enough to go into their upper class neighborhoods packing and looking for trouble? No. But my entire point is this: Just because Zimmerman himself is spanish and has african-american family members does not mean he himself does not have some sort of prejudice towards other african-americans.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:59 PM   #35
los panda
Pro Bowl

"see a black man coolin' with a mexican
we can all have peace on the sets again"

*edit
2 high fives to anyone who can identify that quote/song without research
Old 03-23-2012, 02:00 PM   #36
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
There are two reasons why race played a role.

1. Zimmerman spotted the black teen and assuming he didn't belong in the predominately weight neighborhood.
2. Police action after the murder of Trayvon.

And so what if the killer's father claims he is Hispanic and has some black sister in-law? At the end of the day he isn't black and he profiled the kid. I mean, how many fcking white kids did he follow around prior to Trayvon huh? What happened is complete bullshit, from the murder to police action after the murder.
A predominately weight neighborhood? Like a community for obese people? :cheeky-sm

JK but I agree with your points. It definitely sounds like police negligence played a role in this too, if the background story posted in this thread is correct.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:06 PM   #37
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
redskinrat its this law
Sanford police have claimed that they could not charge Zimmerman with shooting and killing the child because Zimmerman claimed self-defense under Florida’s Stand Your Ground law.
Out on the street before you can use deadly force, most jurisdictions require that you first try to retreat. See if you can get away safely before you take out the gun and blow somebody away. But Florida’s law is different. Florida has a law, along with 17 states, that says you can stand your ground. Which means you don’t have that obligation to try to run first. So, in Florida, as long as you have a reasonable belief that your life and safety is in danger, you can use force to defend yourself, even deadly force. And now that’s the situation they’re suggesting.
§ 776.013(4), Fla. Stat.
A person who unlawfully and by force enters or attempts to enter another’s [dwelling] [residence] [occupied vehicle] is presumed to be doing so with the intent to commit an unlawful act involving force or violence.
Definitions. Give if applicable. § 776.013(5), Fla. Stat.
As used with regard to self defense:

“Dwelling” means a building or conveyance of any kind, including any attached porch, whether the building or conveyance is temporary or permanent or mobile or immobile, which has a roof over it, including a tent, and is designed to be occupied by people lodging therein at night.

“Residence” means a dwelling in which a person resides either temporarily or permanently or is visiting as an invited guest.

“Vehicle” means a conveyance of any kind, whether or not motorized, which is designed to transport people or property.

Prior threats. Give if applicable.
If you find that the defendant who because of threats or prior difficulties with (victim) had reasonable grounds to believe that [he] [she] was in danger of death or great bodily harm at the hands of (victim), then the defendant had the right to arm [himself] [herself]. However, the defendant cannot justify the use of deadly force, if after arming [himself] [herself] [he] [she] renewed [his] [her] difficulty with (victim) when [he] [she] could have avoided the difficulty, although as previously explained if the defendant was not engaged in an unlawful activity and was attacked in any place where [he] [she] had a right to be, [he] [she] had no duty to retreat.

Reputation of victim. Give if applicable.
If you find that (victim) had a reputation of being a violent and dangerous person and that [his] [her] reputation was known to the defendant, you may consider this fact in determining whether the actions of the defendant were those of a reasonable person in dealing with an individual of that reputation.

Physical abilities. Read in all cases.
In considering the issue of self-defense, you may take into account the relative physical abilities and capacities of the defendant and (victim).
Read in all cases.
If in your consideration of the issue of self-defense you have a reasonable doubt on the question of whether the defendant was justified in the use of deadly force, you should find the defendant not guilty.

However, if from the evidence you are convinced that the defendant was not justified in the use of deadly force, you should find [him] [her] guilty if all the elements of the charge have been proved.

That's from the link I posted at 03-23-2012 07:29 AM

Based on that transcript I find it hard to believe that the cops just wandered off.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:09 PM   #38
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
Hearing you lot you would think Trayvon murdered himself. It's disgusting.
You lot? I don't think you're reading the responses clearly.

If anything most if not all posters are siding with the victim.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:20 PM   #39
saden1
MVP

Quote:
You lot? I don't think you're reading the responses clearly.

If anything most if not all posters are siding with the victim.
It doesn't sound like it. But then again all I have to go by is statments like:

Quote:
Over zealous curtain-twitcher meets mouthy teenager.
Quote:
I think Zimmerman caused the problem but I don't think the other guy is the innocent little boy thay mak him out to be.

To hear shit like the above is very troubling...and people pretending this has nothing to do with race and ignoring police conduct is even more troubling. The truth is self-evident and race is written all over this case whether you want to see it or not.

-Jenkins
Old 03-23-2012, 02:22 PM   #40
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Look at it this way, I'm white, my family is white, does that mean I love white people? Absolutely not. In fact, I dislike a large portion of white people that have grown up in better circumstances than myself, mainly for their pampered upbringing that coincides with their lazy lifestyle. Do I dislike them enough to go into their upper class neighborhoods packing and looking for trouble? No. But my entire point is this: Just because Zimmerman himself is spanish and has african-american family members does not mean he himself does not have some sort of prejudice towards other african-americans.
Interesting point. I dislike most people, don't care what shade. Every group seems to have some sort of chip or undeserved sense of worth. Most of my (Korean) wife's relatives are very rich, well-educated (to the point of being a ****ing sport) and love to lord over each other, my sister-in-law's family live in a very affluent part of Ventura County and don't understand why, if at 15, their friends are getting BMW's that they can't get themselves a 3 Series (but not too entry level).

Then there are my friends that live in South Central, East LA or High Desert and hate anyone who's better off that them (which is just about everyone) except me cos I'm an immigrant like them. Yeah, I know you're shocked I have any friends....

Point being this case can't be viewed as purely racially motivated. I think he'd have gone after a white/yellow/green kid, he doesn't like yoof.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:25 PM   #41
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
It doesn't sound like it. But then again all I have to go by is statments like:

To hear shit like the above is very troubling...and people pretending this has nothing to do with race and ignoring police conduct is even more troubling. The truth is self-evident and race is written all over this case whether you want to see it or not.
Re-read both of your examples, if you don't mind, and highlight the part where it mentions race. Both mention age.

Police conduct notwithstanding, where are you seeing people 'pretending' that it's not about race? We are addressing the race issue not ignoring it.

I think you have issues.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:34 PM   #42
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Re-read both of your examples, if you don't mind, and highlight the part where it mentions race. Both mention age.

Police conduct notwithstanding, where are you seeing people 'pretending' that it's not about race? We are addressing the race issue not ignoring it.

I think you have issues.

You damn right I have issues and why shouldn't? Police conduct notwithstanding? Are we side stepping race as an issue when it comes to police conduct?

All you do is stick your head in the sand and say race isn't an issue but you never once mentioned why it isn't.

-Jenkins
Old 03-23-2012, 02:35 PM   #43
itvnetop
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by los panda View Post
"see a black man coolin' with a mexican
we can all have peace on the sets again"

*edit
2 high fives to anyone who can identify that quote/song without research
Hmmm, I may be wrong. But I'm thinking Kam - Peace Treaty

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

my blather
Old 03-23-2012, 02:57 PM   #44
los panda
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by itvnetop View Post
Hmmm, I may be wrong. But I'm thinking Kam - Peace Treaty

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
one high five for a good guess
Old 03-23-2012, 03:07 PM   #45
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
You damn right I have issues and why shouldn't? Police conduct notwithstanding? Are we side stepping race as an issue when it comes to police conduct?
I'm not even getting to the Police conduct in this, I was just commenting on the initial Vigilante Vs. Kid scenario.

Quote:
All you do is stick your head in the sand and say race isn't an issue but you never once mentioned why it isn't.
Because I think the shooter would have used another unpleasant descriptive for any color kid he thought was up to no good.

So just to confirm: You didn't find a reference to race in either quotes you posted, did you?
Closed Thread