Debating with the enemy

Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 08:44 AM   #31
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Re: What's up with the cops these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoDogAllStars View Post
In a free society the cops should never have the right to search you without cause, and then arrest you for refusing. This is grounds for a revolution.
The problem with revolution is that the resulting government is almost always worse. That was not true for the American Revolution, but that may be because the power that was overthrown was very much like an occupier, and we had an existing governmental structure already in place. Usually, like in the French revolution, if the existing government is overthrown, the initial leaders of the revolution are consumed by the groundswell of anger that is released, and more tyrannical and dictatorial elements within the revolution usurp the movement.

Advertisements
Old 06-30-2010, 09:21 AM   #32
joethiesmanfan
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
The problem with revolution is that the resulting government is almost always worse. That was not true for the American Revolution, but that may be because the power that was overthrown was very much like an occupier, and we had an existing governmental structure already in place. Usually, like in the French revolution, if the existing government is overthrown, the initial leaders of the revolution are consumed by the groundswell of anger that is released, and more tyrannical and dictatorial elements within the revolution usurp the movement.
So you are against over throwing tyranny?
Old 06-30-2010, 09:28 AM   #33
jdlea
Playmaker

Quote:
I know you qualified with "almost always," so this isn't really a dig at you, but South Africa says hello.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:33 AM   #34
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

I don't think we fall under tyranny yet, and overthrowing one tyrannical leader has most often led to a harsher tyranny in place. Again the US was in kind of a perfect storm for having our revolution. A strong but distant occupier, who had an ongoing "real" war with their main enemy (France), and an existing local government structure that the populace generally supported, and gave time to establish itself.

So I think the "tyranny" needs to be far more than a warrantless ID check for a full blown revolution. That said, I am by no means supporting the nature of the checks, just saying that you need to understand the consequences before you cry revolt.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:38 AM   #35
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlea View Post
I know you qualified with "almost always," so this isn't really a dig at you, but South Africa says hello.
That's a good example against what I said.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:58 AM   #36
joethiesmanfan
The Starter

Speaking of Tyranny: Report: Harvard scholar's arrest avoidable - Yahoo! News
Old 06-30-2010, 01:19 PM   #37
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

Glad I could stir the pot Ha Ha Ha!
Old 07-15-2010, 09:32 PM   #38
mlmpetert
Playmaker

6 Completely Legal Ways The Cops Can Screw You | Cracked.com

Steel you Identity
Arrest women for carry more then 2 condoms in parts of DC
Arrest you for filming them
Arrest you for being around alcohol in a bar (Texas)
Guess how fast youre going and give you a ticket
Steal your stuff

So these are NOT old fashion funny laws that are just on the books, most of these are new laws passed recently in varying degrees in different states. Read for details and stories of people who got screwed.

Im not sure what outrages me the most. I think steal your stuff, no filming, and arrest women for condoms are the most outrages, but theyre all pretty bad.

Contact your legislator.......
Old 08-06-2010, 09:14 AM   #39
mlmpetert
Playmaker

FOXNews.com - Police Arrest Man for Saying He Understood Conn. Warehouse Gunman
Old 08-06-2010, 10:29 AM   #40
GhettoDogAllStars
Playmaker

Quote:
I agree. I used to be a big advocate of revolt, until I realized I had no good alternative. However, there comes a time where no good alternative is better than status quo -- it's pretty much the basis for Communist revolution. In any case, it's the *threat* of revolt which is most valuable -- not the action itself.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:31 PM   #41
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Cops Raid Wrong House Over 50 Times » Popular Fidelity » Unusual Stuff
Old 03-10-2011, 06:07 PM   #42
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

what bunch of utter jackasses. you would think that it has happened so many time, everyone would know by now. harrassment lawsuit possible?

He Gets Us
Old 05-06-2011, 11:40 AM   #43
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Serisouly, wtf is up with the cops these days:

YouTube - Police Officers What Should Be Done to Them Abusing 15 Year Old Girl
Old 05-06-2011, 04:04 PM   #44
firstdown
Living Legend

She had something coming to her but this was a bit over the top. If that was my daughter I'd be after his ass for what he did. If he would have grabbed her thrown her in cuffs and taken her down town it would have been fine but this was abuse. I will also add I'm making this judgement off a small clip of video and maybe there is more to the story.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:18 PM   #45
FRPLG
MVP

I saw nothing wrong with it.

He didn't beat her relentlessly or anything. The cops show up to the scene and in 15 seconds have to assess what the hell is going on and make decisions. That guy has no idea if she has a weapon or whether she is going to get violent towards. All he knows is that she was involved in an assault and fleeing...plus we can't hear what he said or what she said. All he did was one forceful take-down. Does it LOOK over the top? Maybe but over the top and she isn't terribly injured is better than trying to be nice and she pulls a knife on him.
Closed Thread