Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Still Encouraged; Still Love My Skins: Bright Spots

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-23-2009, 09:06 AM   #31
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Re: Still Encouraged; Still Love My Skins: Bright Spots

I definately believe in giving credit where it's due. It's just a shame all the positives can't translate into points. Points are the only thing seperating this team from talking playoffs today. Someone said maybe they're playing the wrong people, that's something worth noting.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-23-2009, 09:14 AM   #32
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
Nor were they given the opportunity. If you can't see the promise in them then you should watch the game closer. Thomas had some nice catches and a very nice return. Davis was solid as he has been recently filling for Cooley. Kelly didn't get many looks but had a nice catch and run. The only problem is that we refuse to have more than one "big" play a drive.
I don't need to watch the games closer. I just want to see POINTS AND TOUCHDOWNS. I want to see Thomas make plays that Jackson makes for Philly. I want to see a 7 or 8 catch day for 100+ yards. I personally don't think Kelly is any good so he's already a bust in my book. I like what I'm seeing from Davis but I want more. Maybe my expectations are too high.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:24 AM   #33
budw38
Playmaker

Improved play from OL and QB = Kelly showing something ... IMO .
budw38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:54 AM   #34
freddyg12
Playmaker

I agree w/all of the points made in the 1st post. I'll add to it; read Boswell's wash post column today, he says that Zorn is becoming a leader. I feel the same way. I think Zorn is doing his best coaching & the team is responding. The effort & heart is there, something that flat out lacked early in the year.

If I was the danny & had to make a decision today, I'd stick w/Zorn next year. When you look at how battered this team is & how much needs to be rebuilt, Zorn's doing about as well as anyone could IMO.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:59 AM   #35
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post
I agree w/all of the points made in the 1st post. I'll add to it; read Boswell's wash post column today, he says that Zorn is becoming a leader. I feel the same way. I think Zorn is doing his best coaching & the team is responding. The effort & heart is there, something that flat out lacked early in the year.

If I was the danny & had to make a decision today, I'd stick w/Zorn next year. When you look at how battered this team is & how much needs to be rebuilt, Zorn's doing about as well as anyone could IMO.
I agree Zorn is probably doing his best coaching right now given the circumstances. Unfortunately, the fact that we had to bring in Sherm Lewis and make some changes may overshadow his leadership. There's no question though that the players have responded in recent weeks.

I don't think it's a gimme that Jim Zorn won't be here next year. This will be a test of Snyder's resolve to do the right thing; even it's unpopular. If our finishing record isn't respectable at the end, there's no question this team has shown some character and heart. You have to give credit to the coach.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:46 AM   #36
warriorzpath

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
That's right you haters, I still love the Redskins. So don't come in this thread bitchin' and hatin':}

Seriously, I just wanted to point out a few bright spots, starting with our top three picks from a year ago.

Freddy Davis, Devin Thomas, and Malcolm Kelly

All are starting to find their groove. Every week we see them do the little things right and actually make plays. Malcolm had a very nice catch today lumbering down the sideline, what seemed like forever. Fred Davis had a couple of clutch receptions and he's proving tough to bring down by one tackler. But I'm most impressed with Devin Thomas' recent playmaking ability; mostly after he has the ball in his hands. This guy has nice moves in tight spaces. I think he has the potential to be a very explosive player for the Redskins in the future. You can tell their confidence grows a little every week.

Jason Campbell

I wanted to give a big ups to Campbell for a gutsy performance. How that guy passed for over 250 yards with Cowboys draped over him most of the day, I will never know. I mentioned this is another thread, and I was glad to see Troy Aikman alude to it in his own way, but we're going to have a hard time shipping Campbell out of here without a bonafide option at quarterback. Guys, there's only three really, really good quarterbacks playing in this league right now. All the others are probably benefiting from a supporting cast that Campbell just doesn't have at the moment. I hope the Redskins realize this when they re-visit Campbell's future here in Washington.

Deangelo Hall

For the record, I've been very critical of him and still feel he can improve his game in some areas. But Hall, warts and all, seems to always be around the ball when we need it the most. He's proving to be a game changer at the corner position. Something we've lacked here, quite frankly, since Champ Bailey was here. Don't be surprised to see Hall get a Pro Bowl nod this year.

Team Heart

This team after losing Portis for a few weeks, playing without Haynesworth, then Betts, then Chad, you name it. They just line up and keep fucking coming at you. After Betts and Chad went down, they could have easily packed it in and called it a day, and no one would have blamed them. The best team did not win today that's for sure. As with last week, I'm proud of their effort this week.

Rock Cartwright

Speaking of coming at you, how 'about Rock Cartwright? This guy grabs his lunch pale every Sunday and brings it. Today Rock had his best day as pro and was definitely the leader on the field today. We'll start our cut Rock threads next summer, but for now the man deserves a tip of the hat. Job well done, sir.
Yes, I agree with all of the above. The only thing that was missing were the touchdowns and the win. I have never felt better after any game this season, than I do now (including the wins). Too bad it's too late to hope for playoffs.

Cartwright is making a believer out of me. Devin Thomas is a football player, plain and simple. This guy comes to play - did you see him lay out the starting linebacker on the return? Jason Campbell will make a believer out of me if he plays like this in a few more games - I think he finally is getting that no matter the circumstance or score that there's a chance to make an impact on the game on every play.

The defense is playing with heart and swagger. Even when the Cowboys were running down the redskins throat, the redskins D was still playing with confidence.
warriorzpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:09 PM   #37
hail_2_da_skins
Impact Rookie

As I watched the game yesterday, the Redskins were taking it to the Cowboys in their home stadium. They were beating the Cowboys in every phase of the game. The only problem, they failed to finish drives and put points on the scoreboard. The Skins had four scoring opportunities and made two field goals and missed two. The Cowboys had two scoring opportunities, scored a touchdown and missed a field goal. How heart breaking. If only our kicker could have done his job! The whole tone of the posts today would be totally different.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:13 PM   #38
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorzpath View Post
Yes, I agree with all of the above. The only thing that was missing were the touchdowns and the win. I have never felt better after any game this season, than I do now (including the wins). Too bad it's too late to hope for playoffs.

Cartwright is making a believer out of me. Devin Thomas is a football player, plain and simple. This guy comes to play - did you see him lay out the starting linebacker on the return? Jason Campbell will make a believer out of me if he plays like this in a few more games - I think he finally is getting that no matter the circumstance or score that there's a chance to make an impact on the game on every play.

The defense is playing with heart and swagger. Even when the Cowboys were running down the redskins throat, the redskins D was still playing with confidence.
Thomas is definitely gaining confidence. Love the way he runs hard, he's not easy to bring down.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:18 PM   #39
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

It doesn't show in the box scores, but Tryon has been pretty solid in the slot
Old 11-23-2009, 12:23 PM   #40
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
It doesn't show in the box scores, but Tryon has been pretty solid in the slot
I think the slot is his best position, he does not seem to perform as well on the outside.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:28 PM   #41
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post

Freddy Davis, Devin Thomas, and Malcolm Kelly

All are starting to find their groove. Every week we see them do the little things right and actually make plays. Malcolm had a very nice catch today lumbering down the sideline, what seemed like forever. Fred Davis had a couple of clutch receptions and he's proving tough to bring down by one tackler. But I'm most impressed with Devin Thomas' recent playmaking ability; mostly after he has the ball in his hands. This guy has nice moves in tight spaces. I think he has the potential to be a very explosive player for the Redskins in the future. You can tell their confidence grows a little every week.

Rock Cartwright

Speaking of coming at you, how 'about Rock Cartwright? This guy grabs his lunch pale every Sunday and brings it. Today Rock had his best day as pro and was definitely the leader on the field today. We'll start our cut Rock threads next summer, but for now the man deserves a tip of the hat. Job well done, sir.
With Rock showing he is capable of being the RB until Portis comes back, i think DT is going to continue to take kickoff returns. Lets see if DT can take over this duty.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:29 PM   #42
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

No positives to say about Zorn, 12th?

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:54 PM   #43
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
No positives to say about Zorn, 12th?
Actually, yes. I stated this in another thread. I believe while Zorn's play calling has been less than desirable, or to be blunt shitty, this team has responded well to him over the past few weeks. In other words, I don't think there is a leadership crisis at Redskins Park. The spirit and resolve they've shown to compete and win can be attributed to Jim Zorn. I think coach Zorn has grown some and so has the team. The big question within any coach/team relationship is will this team go out and play for him. There's no question in my mind that this current Redskins team believes in their head coach. And to take it step further, it's pretty clear that the defense believes in Greg Blache too.

That said, I think Dan Snyder has a tough decision to make regarding Zorn this offseason. I don't think Zorn not being here next year is gimme like it was three or four weeks ago. It might be popular and resonate with the fan base. But unless you're making some sweeping changes, particarly in the front office and can still maintain a sense of cohesion on the field, you're really starting from square one. Unfortunately, we simply have some personnel limitations, at the moment, that's difficult for a guy like him to coach around. We can bring in the next sexy pick to "turn things around", but I'm just as skeptical of that happening as I am of Jim Zorn staying or going.

I think this has been a good assessment period for all parties involved. We know Zorn's limitations and what they are. The big question is, if they decide to keep him, can and will the organization build around them and turn it into a strength rather than start from scratch.

As much as it pains me to say and admit it, it just might wise for Dan Snyder to keep Jim Zorn for another year.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:59 PM   #44
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I don't think the players are as supportive of Zorn as they are just supportive of the idea of having a head coach who's not overly demanding and disciplined. They know that if Zorn is gone the hatchet could start to come down on any one of them. They know there could be a Marty type here again.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:06 PM   #45
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I don't think the players are as supportive of Zorn as they are just supportive of the idea of having a head coach who's not overly demanding and disciplined. They know that if Zorn is gone the hatchet could start to come down on any one of them. They know there could be a Marty type here again.
If true, then that tells us alot about the type of guys we have on the team and further reinforces the notion that we do need to rebuild this thing from the ground up.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote