Tiger Woods lynching comments

Other Sports

Old 01-13-2008, 12:30 AM   #31
htownskinfan
JUST LIVIN

Re: Tiger Woods lynching comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I'm black and I found it VERY offensive. I took an African American studies class in college a long time ago. There were so many hate/lynching crimes that went unpunished that it's not even funny. Stuff that never ever made it to the headlines that I learned about. However I don't see the need for Al Sharpton to get involved and I don't think she should lose her job. The Golf Channel did the right thing. Sometimes people say stupid shit without thinking. She should know better.

However, here is my problem with what she said. Would Kelly T. have used those words if she was talking about Ernie Els, Phil Mickleson or Jim Furyk? I don't know. If I had to bet on it she probably would not have used that word if she was talking about a white person.
I think she would have,did you hear the conversation or just read about it?
When first reading about it I found it offensive also,but upon hearing the comment in context of the conversation it sounded perfectly innocent to me
Plus,if she was black and said this would this even be a topic? If Charles Barkley said something like this it would be laughed off. If race is going to hopefully one day be a non issue it shouldnt matter what race you are as regards to your comments,if its offensive its offensive,if she would have been Black and said this its a non issue in my opinion.
Also what if she would have been talking about Mickleson and she would have said take him out and shoot him in the head,is that less offensive? if it is why should it be? to me she was basically saying the only way to stop Tiger is to kill him because he's so frickin good and she would have made the same comment or something very similar about another golfer who was as good as tiger no matter what race they were.Was it a poor choice of words? obviously or it wouldnt be a topic,but there was nothing malicious about it and she shouldnt lose her job about it

Advertisements
Old 01-13-2008, 12:46 AM   #32
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

Maybe she meant no harm, but do people seriously use lynch out of the context of racial slurs, or describing our history? I really don't think so, or maybe that's just the crowd I hang out with.

Lynch is pretty much a taboo word.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:51 AM   #33
hooskins

Just for the record I am a minority too.

I don't want to make this a race thing, but it's just interesting because it seems warpathers who are minorities see this in a different light. Might just not be the whole "Sharpton is a dick" thing this time, IMO.

I just bring the point up because it is interesting to see different viewpoints, and I am not really getting worked up. I think this is a constructive thread.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:22 PM   #34
jsarno
Franchise Player

Tilghman was laughing during the exchange Friday with analyst Nick Faldo at the Mercedes-Benz Championship, and Woods' agent at IMG said he didn't think there was any ill intent.

the Rev. Al Sharpton joined the fray by demanding she be fired immediately.

Sharpton does his best to stay in the fore front of society, and unfortunately, he does so by trying to tear down others and see things that aren't there. Mr. Sharpton is a huge racist, and it's about time HE is the one that is ignored.

I will agree it was poor choice of words, but not enough to fire someone...come on. This society is getting way too sensitive.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:18 PM   #35
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

I dont know, I just think you have to take everything in context. While when people wanted Imus fired, I think that there was something too that, while I think this just really was a poor choice of words and other than the suspension nothing should happen. I mean I'm sure we all make mistakes in life/at work, and this seemed to be just a mistake.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:41 AM   #36
hagams
Impact Rookie

I really don't like stepping into race issues.
People today just need to chill out and realize that we are all one people. This lady may not have made the comment in a racist way, but even in 2008 there are still people seeking retribution for something we weren't apart of, and still people trying to opress another man due to skin color, so it's still a major topic. It's completely insane.
The suspension is enough to satisfy me. I don't think it was meant the way it's been taken. Think of it, what sports writer, comentator, or annoucer would try to sneak in a racist remark on the world's best golfer? That's a lose/lose situation and not to mention career suicide.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:58 AM   #37
hooskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagams View Post
I really don't like stepping into race issues.
People today just need to chill out and realize that we are all one people. This lady may not have made the comment in a racist way, but even in 2008 there are still people seeking retribution for something we weren't apart of, and still people trying to opress another man due to skin color, so it's still a major topic. It's completely insane.
The suspension is enough to satisfy me. I don't think it was meant the way it's been taken. Think of it, what sports writer, comentator, or annoucer would try to sneak in a racist remark on the world's best golfer? That's a lose/lose situation and not to mention career suicide.
Still that doesn't give you an excuse to say whatever you want. I don't care if it makes sense what the intent was. Yeah she shouldn't lose her job, but it still is a big deal.

Asking people to lynch a black man is a racist comment. It simply should not be said.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:54 PM   #38
RobH4413
Wildcard Bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
Still that doesn't give you an excuse to say whatever you want. I don't care if it makes sense what the intent was. Yeah she shouldn't lose her job, but it still is a big deal.

Asking people to lynch a black man is a racist comment. It simply should not be said.
There's no doubt about that... I don't think anyone (at least I hope not) thinks she wasn't totally out of line with her comments. The question remains... was it malicious in intent? I personally have no idea. I don't know the woman, I didn't see the video, I don't even know the context that took place.

From what I hear, it was something absurdly innappropriate... beyond that of a simple lack of judgement, but not necessarily malicious. I posted earlier that I felt her suspension of 2 weeks would probably suffice, given that she's never had any prior history of these kind of "F" ups.

I think most of the comments about Sharpton are spot on. Even when he's right about an issue, I won't take him seriously. I don't think he's an accurate representation of the black community, and pretty much every African American I know can't stand him either.

I am not a minority... nor do I pretend to understand that I can relate to these issues. I just know from my friends, but that's about as far as I can relate.
RobH4413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 11:35 AM   #39
hooskins

Interesting update. Golfweek editor was fired for putting a "noose" on the front cover. Thoughts?

Old 01-19-2008, 03:52 PM   #40
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
Interesting update. Golfweek editor was fired for putting a "noose" on the front cover. Thoughts?

I'd have fired him. It was too dumb not to. What a moron. The question is... How many other people saw this before it got printed and said to themselves "Hey this is a good idea"? They should be fired for incompetence also.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:16 AM   #41
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownskinfan View Post
I think she would have,did you hear the conversation or just read about it?
When first reading about it I found it offensive also,but upon hearing the comment in context of the conversation it sounded perfectly innocent to me
Plus,if she was black and said this would this even be a topic? If Charles Barkley said something like this it would be laughed off. If race is going to hopefully one day be a non issue it shouldnt matter what race you are as regards to your comments,if its offensive its offensive,if she would have been Black and said this its a non issue in my opinion.
Also what if she would have been talking about Mickleson and she would have said take him out and shoot him in the head,is that less offensive? if it is why should it be? to me she was basically saying the only way to stop Tiger is to kill him because he's so frickin good and she would have made the same comment or something very similar about another golfer who was as good as tiger no matter what race they were.Was it a poor choice of words? obviously or it wouldnt be a topic,but there was nothing malicious about it and she shouldnt lose her job about it
I saw the conversation on You Tube. I'm sorry but I just don't think she would have used that word if she was talking about a person that was white. Maybe I'm wrong. I hope I'm wrong.

Yes if Barkely used that word it probably would've been laughed off. But if he did say it in that context then he should be punished. But since he is black he probably would've gotten a slap on the wrist. Is it right? Of course not. But that's just how it goes. People are allowed to say things about their own race and get away with it. I make fun of black people all the time and I'm black.

The word lynch is only used when talking about a gang of white people hanging, beating or killing black people. Goggle it and see what comes up. Some very disturbing pictures will come up and if you're black it makes you angry. She could've used so many other words but why in the hell did she use that one? I don't want the see the girl get fired but Kelly T. is from South Carolina. She grew up in the south. She went to Duke. She should know better and I would bet that she has probably used that word behind closed doors joking around with friends. Does that make her a racist? No. But you never know how people act behind closed doors. The Golf Channel did the right thing and it's over with. No need for Al Sharpton to be running off at the mouth.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote