Week 10: Around the NFL - Manning vs. Brady Edition

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-16-2009, 12:29 PM   #31
redskinfan401
Camp Scrub

Re: Week 10: Around the NFL - Manning vs. Brady Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
Bad call on 4th down. Don't care how good you are, you kick the ball and let them go the distance. Very bad coaching decision and I'm very happy to see the Pats lose. Looking at the rest of the Colts' schedule they just might go undefeated though I suspect they have more class than the Pats and will probably rest their players towards the end.
I'm thrilled to see the Pats lose, but I probably would have made the same call in Belichick's shoes. If you punt, you give Manning a ton of time. I'd rather try to put the game away with Brady/Moss/Welker on 4th and 3 than give the defense an extra 30-40 yards to attempt to stop Manning. Obviously it looks like bad call because they didn't get it, but if he punts there, the Colts still probably would have scored with the way their offense was playing. Either way, Pats O >>> Pats D and given a reasonable choice, I'd put the game in the hands of my better unit.
redskinfan401 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-16-2009, 12:35 PM   #32
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
yeah those 3 sb's were won by video taping other teams calls. lol. but nice logo.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:44 PM   #33
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
Bad call on 4th down. Don't care how good you are, you kick the ball and let them go the distance. Very bad coaching decision and I'm very happy to see the Pats lose. Looking at the rest of the Colts' schedule they just might go undefeated though I suspect they have more class than the Pats and will probably rest their players towards the end.
It is quite possible that New Orleans and Indy meet in the SB with competing 17-0 records. What would those poor '72 Miami guys do then?

Also, I cannot think of any better karmic kick in the ass to the Hoodie than having to watch the Colts get the perfect season that he came so close to having.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:25 PM   #34
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
It is quite possible that New Orleans and Indy meet in the SB with competing 17-0 records. What would those poor '72 Miami guys do then?

Also, I cannot think of any better karmic kick in the ass to the Hoodie than having to watch the Colts get the perfect season that he came so close to having.
It's probably going to happen. There's no Chargers or Steelers lurking on the December schedule to ruin it like in 2005. I think 16-0 is happening for the Colts.

And the Saints could easily win 14 or 15.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:32 PM   #35
hail_2_da_skins
Impact Rookie

What the hell was Belichick thinking about. Even Jim Zorn would have punted the ball on fourth-and-2 from your own 28 yard line with 2:08 to go and a 6 point lead. Belichick has a lot of faith in his offense but none in his defense. I don't know of any high school coaches that would have gone for it in that situation. Dumb.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:34 PM   #36
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Belichick has like a 75% success rate (or something like that) with going for it on 4th down. It's a gutsy call to be sure, but gutsy calls are what have helped the Patriots win all those Super Bowls in recent years.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:36 PM   #37
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Don't get me wrong, I would have punted.

But the folks at Advanced NFL Stats have done an analysis which says that, mathematically, Belichick actually made the right choice:
Advanced NFL Stats: Belichick's 4th Down Decision vs the Colts
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:57 PM   #38
hail_2_da_skins
Impact Rookie

Here is a prime example of how mathematical statistics can be taken out of context. One thing that wasn't considered in these statistics is the field position. Converting fourth-and-2 in the Red Zone is a whole lot different then attempting it on your side of the field. It's still a dumb decision.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:44 PM   #39
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by hail_2_da_skins View Post
Here is a prime example of how mathematical statistics can be taken out of context. One thing that wasn't considered in these statistics is the field position. Converting fourth-and-2 in the Red Zone is a whole lot different then attempting it on your side of the field. It's still a dumb decision.
How was field position not taken into account? In both equations the field position of Indy taking control of the ball is accounted for. I remember Zorn did something similar back in his glory days of 6-2 and was hailed for being gutsy. Sometimes as a head coach you grab the game and go for it. That said I would have punted.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:33 PM   #40
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Clev's offense is simply unwatchable. They need a QB, RB, and WR's.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:43 PM   #41
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Clev's offense is simply unwatchable. They need a QB, RB, and WR's.
I think Brady Quinn could be successful given the right situation. He has the tools physically and mentally. He's on an awful team with pathetic skill players and shitty playcalling. Has a WR run a route longer than 10 yards this entire game? And his two INTs are off of tipped passes that the WRs should have caught. It's awful to watch. And yet I watch.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:48 PM   #42
GMScud
Swearinger

All the friggin screen passes my god. I'm having Ed Zaunbrecher flashbacks from the Zook era at Florida.

Last edited by GMScud; 11-16-2009 at 11:36 PM.
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:21 PM   #43
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
I think Brady Quinn could be successful given the right situation. He has the tools physically and mentally. He's on an awful team with pathetic skill players and shitty playcalling. Has a WR run a route longer than 10 yards this entire game? And his two INTs are off of tipped passes that the WRs should have caught. It's awful to watch. And yet I watch.
Cleveland's protection schemes are inexcusable. It's not like they don't have the personnel to protect the quarterback, but they can't figure out how to block an overload blitz.

Watching Quinn try to figure out exactly where Mike Furrey's catching radius is is especially painful. Obviously, you can't get anything down the field if your receivers can't win one on ones (and the Browns cannot), but you have to at least have a Zorn-level of complexity to your passing game, my god. It's hitch, slant, and hitch off a roll out in this offense.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:23 PM   #44
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
I don't think Quinn has the skills. For a big strong guy he sure doesn't have an NFL arm. He's just not very skilled thrower. Now Flacco can just rip it. My god that guy can throw.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:39 PM   #45
Kalisto2010
Special Teams

I take back everything I said about Brady Quinn. That dude is terribad! We can forget about Clausen next year because he's going to be a Cleveland Brown.
Kalisto2010 is offline   Reply With Quote