Five-year-old boy accidentally shoots, kills sister

Debating with the enemy

Old 05-03-2013, 05:10 PM   #31
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Re: Five-year-old boy accidentally shoots, kills sister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Doesn't take much hindsight to say it's completely irresponsible to leave a loaded gun "in the corner" when you have small children running around the house. Is it too much to call this what it is, a careless and irresponsible gun owner?
Amen.
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-03-2013, 06:24 PM   #32
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Doesn't take much hindsight to say it's completely irresponsible to leave a loaded gun "in the corner" when you have small children running around the house. Is it too much to call this what it is, a careless and irresponsible gun owner?
It sure is.
The parents are epic morons.
And if I was privy to sit in on the investigation I might think that the five year old should be removed from the parents.

I'd also call them a careless irresponsible parent.
Not a careless irresponsible swimming pool/automobile owner....I mean gun owner.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:47 AM   #33
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin Walton View Post
It sure is.
The parents are epic morons.
And if I was privy to sit in on the investigation I might think that the five year old should be removed from the parents.

I'd also call them a careless irresponsible parent.
Not a careless irresponsible swimming pool/automobile owner....I mean gun owner.

So a gun owner that leaves a gun in a corner "LOADED" within reach of a child, a gun that was a present for a child, so a child comes and plays with said "LOADED GUN" and kills someone , is not a ..."careless irresponsible" gun owner just a bad parent ? So you are saying you can't be both?
Old 05-04-2013, 08:35 AM   #34
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
So a gun owner that leaves a gun in a corner "LOADED" within reach of a child, a gun that was a present for a child, so a child comes and plays with said "LOADED GUN" and kills someone , is not a ..."careless irresponsible" gun owner just a bad parent ? So you are saying you can't be both?
Of course they are both, I just don't see the need to beat a drum about it. Your basic argument is because these people aren't smart enough to keep their guns safe then no one is. Occasionally you have good arguments this one is not one of them.

Unfortunately there are careless individuals out there, lots of them. In this case a background check would not have done much. Now if either of these parents had been found mentally incapacitated prior to this gun purchase then the story is very different.

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:00 AM   #35
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

My parents had a swimming pool in our backyard when I was growing up. My dad built a very heavy and tall locked gate that kept me, my brother, my sisters, and neighborhood children from going in unsupervised. That's a responsible parent.

I am sure that the parents in this tragedy understood gun risk. I think that they probably made sure, when they were supervising him, that he did all the right steps, just like when I went swimming, my parents, or someone able to open that heavy gate was around and making sure I was safe. But they became irresponsible parents when they didn't lock the gun back up, unlike my parents who locked that dang pool all the time, no matter how much I felt I was able to do it on my own.

It's not a perfect analogy, but to me it is a better one than just lumping this tragedy into the gun control debate. There is no law that can be enforced in the privacy of one's home that will prevent or eliminate all tragedies occurring from irresponsible behavior.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:55 PM   #36
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
My parents had a swimming pool in our backyard when I was growing up. My dad built a very heavy and tall locked gate that kept me, my brother, my sisters, and neighborhood children from going in unsupervised. That's a responsible parent.

I am sure that the parents in this tragedy understood gun risk. I think that they probably made sure, when they were supervising him, that he did all the right steps, just like when I went swimming, my parents, or someone able to open that heavy gate was around and making sure I was safe. But they became irresponsible parents when they didn't lock the gun back up, unlike my parents who locked that dang pool all the time, no matter how much I felt I was able to do it on my own.

It's not a perfect analogy, but to me it is a better one than just lumping this tragedy into the gun control debate. There is no law that can be enforced in the privacy of one's home that will prevent or eliminate all tragedies occurring from irresponsible behavior.

CR, first I didn't want this to be about gun control ,this isn't. I guess I was more looking to show the mental state of many(not all) gun owners.110% right any law on gun background checks would not have stop this .I'm looking at the mind set of a gun owner in general .I admit I can't comprehend what type of parent or adult in general would give a real gun to a five year old and then be shocked when something like this happens.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:52 PM   #37
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Quote:
CR, first I didn't want this to be about gun control ,this isn't. I guess I was more looking to show the mental state of many(not all) gun owners.110% right any law on gun background checks would not have stop this .I'm looking at the mind set of a gun owner in general .I admit I can't comprehend what type of parent or adult in general would give a real gun to a five year old and then be shocked when something like this happens.
Liar. You aren't looking for the mindset of the average gun owner. You're still trying to impugn all gun owners. At least those that disagree with you. Your opening post:
Quote:
Five-year-old boy accidentally shoots, kills sister

Five-year-old boy accidentally shoots, kills sister - U.S. News

These are same people I am suppose to listen on gun control, hell no!
The responses you've gotten this thread should indicate to you otherwise, even AlvinWalton's post that you tried your darndest to misinterpret a few posts up.
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:23 PM   #38
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Yet in your initial post you start ranting about gun control.

I suggest you go back to dry humping your Phil Sims Fathead because you really suck at debating on an internet forum.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:32 PM   #39
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Epic stuff. GiantOne (and he really is a giant one) gets mauled again.
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:24 AM   #40
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Exactly what I expected.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:29 AM   #41
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin Walton View Post
Yet in your initial post you start ranting about gun control.
Post #1)"
These are same people I am suppose to listen on gun control, hell no! "

.....a statement ,not a rant.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:37 AM   #42
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
Post #1)"
These are same people I am suppose to listen on gun control, hell no! "

.....a statement ,not a rant.

"Hell no!" isn't ranting? You're full of it.
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:07 PM   #43
Giantone
Gamebreaker

I won't start a new thread just add another tragedy to the growing list ,again another needless death through the ignorance of a gun owner.

Fla. boy, 3, fatally shoots self with uncle's gun | US National Headlines | Comcast

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) — Authorities say a 3-year-old Florida boy has died after shooting himself with a gun he found in his uncle's backpack.

The shooting happened Tuesday night in a bedroom Jadarrius Speights shared with his uncle at an apartment complex in Tampa. Authorities say the uncle, 29-year-old Jeffrey D. Walker, has been charged with culpable negligence.

It wasn't immediately clear whether Walker had an attorney. His phone number was not listed and jail records didn't give a lawyer for him.

Police say he has a concealed weapons permit.

Hillsborough County sheriff's spokeswoman Debbie Carter says the uncle was not in the room when the shooting happened, but the child's parents were there. The boy was taken to a hospital where he died.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:52 PM   #44
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

Whats your point?
Old 05-11-2013, 09:22 PM   #45
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
I won't start a new thread just add another tragedy to the growing list ,again another needless death through the ignorance of a gun owner.

Fla. boy, 3, fatally shoots self with uncle's gun | US National Headlines | Comcast

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) — Authorities say a 3-year-old Florida boy has died after shooting himself with a gun he found in his uncle's backpack.

The shooting happened Tuesday night in a bedroom Jadarrius Speights shared with his uncle at an apartment complex in Tampa. Authorities say the uncle, 29-year-old Jeffrey D. Walker, has been charged with culpable negligence.

It wasn't immediately clear whether Walker had an attorney. His phone number was not listed and jail records didn't give a lawyer for him.

Police say he has a concealed weapons permit.

Hillsborough County sheriff's spokeswoman Debbie Carter says the uncle was not in the room when the shooting happened, but the child's parents were there. The boy was taken to a hospital where he died.

http://www.ksby.com/news/local-boy-d...f-pool-safety/

At the end of the day what is the difference? If you are going to be irresponsible with something that's on you. There's no need to punish the majority for the minority.

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote