Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Panthers Drop Rod Like He's Hot

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-20-2005, 03:04 PM   #31
56FAN
Special Teams

Re: Panthers Drop Rod Like He's Hot

Just goes to show you that talent gaurentees nothing,he lacks the drive and discipline.
what a shame he would have been good for us.now he canjust eat cheese for all i care. by the way did he ever find his rims?is his suv still on blocks at rfk?
56FAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-20-2005, 03:20 PM   #32
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

I just checked. Rod Gardner was drafted AHEAD of Santana Moss, Reggie Wayne and Todd Heap in terms of pass catchers. Oh and Deuce McAlister was drafted after good old 50/50 too.

So, each and every person who was involved in the Skins' draft that year who pushed for Gardner ought to be BANNED from the scouting and drafting meetings for a decade. And that should include Danny Boy and Vinnie Boombatz if either of them even said "Boo" on the subject!
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 03:23 PM   #33
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain
Interesting turn of events.. What did we get for him? Funny how he and Coles are both having terrible seasons and Gibbs got ripped for getting rid of both of them. I think it still was a mistake to let McCants go, but the Gardner move is now vindicated.
Why was it a mistake to let McCants go? He did nothing here and has done nothing in Phily.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 03:25 PM   #34
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon
I just checked. Rod Gardner was drafted AHEAD of Santana Moss, Reggie Wayne and Todd Heap in terms of pass catchers. Oh and Deuce McAlister was drafted after good old 50/50 too.

So, each and every person who was involved in the Skins' draft that year who pushed for Gardner ought to be BANNED from the scouting and drafting meetings for a decade. And that should include Danny Boy and Vinnie Boombatz if either of them even said "Boo" on the subject!
I thought Marty was the sole guy making the calls that year? Could be wrong though.

"Hey guys...here's a good idea! Let's draft a tall, slow possession WR with questionable hands in the first round. We'll be on our way then!"
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 03:26 PM   #35
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown
Why was it a mistake to let McCants go? He did nothing here and has done nothing in Phily.
Yeah I think McCants has proven to be a pretender. He couldn't even get much of a shot in Philly where it seems the beer guys were next in line to catch passes there. Clearly we overvalued him.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 03:30 PM   #36
amorentz
Special Teams

Quote:

Rumor has it that Snyder was obsessed with Santana that year, and that was one of the reasons he was so thrilled to make the trade for him before this season. Marty had sole control over that draft, as that was one of the stipulations of his taking control of the team.

History aside, I think we can be happy that Snyder finally got his guy and that we have a WR of Moss' considerable skill level!
amorentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 03:54 PM   #37
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Let's be a bit analytical here. Trust me, it won't hurt that much...

Gardner has had a bad year and has been a less than positive influence with the Panthers; but that is not news. That's what he has been and has done since he came into the league.

Coles is a different story. If Jerry Rice had been the guy trying to catch passes from Vinny T. and Brooks Bollinger for all of his career, he wouldn't be on the fast track to the HoF either.
We'll see if Coles' numbers bounce back with improved QB play next year, somehow I doubt he will top what Moss has done. Moss has proved to be a guy that just needed the chance to prove himself as a #1.

I agree with your other points though.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:58 PM   #38
backrow
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAS
Going to Green Bay

Shame, really.

I was hoping for a chance at buying stock in the Slippery Fingers Bar-B-Q!

Old 12-20-2005, 04:10 PM   #39
offiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG
I thought Marty was the sole guy making the calls that year? Could be wrong though.

"Hey guys...here's a good idea! Let's draft a tall, slow possession WR with questionable hands in the first round. We'll be on our way then!"

You are correct Gardner was Martys guy, and yes Snyder wanted Moss.

Although I saw an interview with Cerratto because he was doing commentary for the draft after we fired him, and his pick for the Skins before the draft started was Gardner, he felt Gardner was the best fit for us, and said thats who he would pick if he was still our GM, so we can include Vinnie in that pick as far as talent evaluation goes.
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 04:56 PM   #40
Southpaw
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown
McCants was cheap, and he was a big red zone target like Mike Sellers is now. He had six touchdowns in just 27 receptions, two years ago. Plus, at 6'3" and 215 lbs, he's bigger than any receiver on the roster.

I still don't quite understand the hate for McCants. I mean of course he wasn't a gamebreaker, but he was a decent 3rd or 4th receiver. He produced far more than Jacobs ever has, and he was cheaper and picked deeper in the draft. I'm not sure what everyone expected from him.
Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 05:30 PM   #41
Warpath
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by backrow
Shame, really.

I was hoping for a chance at buying stock in the Slippery Fingers Bar-B-Q!

Yea I really thought the chicken would be so finger lickin' good it would make you want to slap yo momma'
Warpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 08:28 PM   #42
That Guy
Living Legend

sad but true, mccants thusfar has blown away taylor jacobs in on field production and he was drafted 3 rounds further down.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 08:42 PM   #43
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:

As I recall, Danny Boy wanted to draft Moss but was overruled by Schotty. In fact, prior to the draft, the buzz heads were saying that the draft would be a big test for Schottty b/c Danny was in love with Moss.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 09:01 PM   #44
Riggo44
The Starter

Looks slike He's going out just like Westbrook. What a SCRUB!!!!!! I wounder if Gardner and Westbrook will start a tag team? They can call them selfs the X-Skins brawlers. Our the 1'st round floppers.
Any good ideas for there team name?
Old 12-20-2005, 09:03 PM   #45
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggo44
Looks slike He's going out just like Westbrook. What a SCRUB!!!!!! I wounder if Gardner and Westbrook will start a tag team? They can call them selfs the X-Skins brawlers. Our the 1'st round floppers.
Any good ideas for there team name?
The Ambiguously Gay Duo