Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Smoot Lays the Smack Down

Locker Room Main Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-16-2011, 09:21 PM   #1
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Smoot Lays the Smack Down

Sorry for the delay here, I was running some errands and dealing with some work emergencies.

With the latter in mind, I first want to say RIP Dan Wheldon. Great driver, better person. Redskins lost a game in the field of competition, he unfortunately lost his life Dan Wheldon dies following IndyCar crash at Vegas - ESPN

On to the smack:

The 1st Half Defense: Couldn't believe it when Landry said after the game that they basically came out in the first half without any sense of purpose. Couldn't believe it because it showed. I know, I know Rex's interceptions tired them out early. That's total bull. The defense played sloppy the first half, missing tackles, completely whiffing when trying to jam a receiver (c'mon Barnes!), not diving after tipped balls. Seemed like Rocky was just standing there on the Celek tipped catch. And a makeshift OL for the Eagles, and we got almost zero pressure. I'll give them a stud for turning things around, but early on they looked ugly

Fred Davis Yeah I know I'm calling giving the smack down to another of today's Studs. We are very fortunate to have FD in our lineup and he has made some great plays all season long. But there were multiple times, not the least of which was the first Rex interception where he made little to no attempt on the ball. He wasn't the only receiver to do so, though. Still, he's got to be more aggressive sometimes.

Whoever Decides To Keep Sitting Terrence Austin Let the man play!

Rex Grossman I know this is the one you're all waiting for. I still maintain that the first interception was not a bad decision. Three things I thought were likely to happen 1.) FD catches it at the 2 (possibly goes in for a TD) and the crowd goes wild and early on we've got the momentum 2) It falls incomplete and we punt or 3) Ball is intercepted but we pin them deep in their own territory. I didn't expect FD to not make a play and TW to get a penalty. After that, it was pretty much all downhill for Rex. I said at the time, and I'll say again, that throw to Cooley (which at the time I didn't know was about to knock him out for the next month or so) was terrible. He hung his receiver out to dry on a critical 3rd down. He did the same later, I believe with Helu. I like Rex, from a "dealing with the media" perspective, you'd be hard pressed to find a more accommodating guy, but Redskins fans aren't looking for that. The other three interceptions, I'd have to go back and watch them again, but from what I saw it was all on Rex. All on him trying to make a play. And why was he trying to make a play? Because of....

Kyle Shanahan I knew he wasn't going to run just because it was the Eagles, because KS doesn't prepare his game plan based on the opponent's known weaknesses. Never has, never will. And I don't really have a problem with that. I do have a problem with not taking advantage of two solid backs in Torain and Helu. I do have a problem with ignoring one of football's basic tenents "When you're trying to get your new offensive line to gel, run the ball and let them get into their groove" I commend Locklear, Cook, and the rest of that makeshift line for the work they did today. Kyle didn't put them in a good spot. And I do have a problem with him trying to make Rex more than he is. If we were even tied at the half, I'm fully confident we win. But we put on Rex's shoulders, at home where you had to know he was going to get booed mercilessly, and that just isn't the right game plan. Sidenote: You just know that if Rex had that fumble Beck had, it would have gone back for 6. By the way, I thought Beck was fine but I still think he sells the play action horribly

Well, I'm sure there's plenty more. But as I said earlier this week, my concern is not losing this game so much as it's hoping this doesn't turn things in a negative direction for us. It's one game. Let's see what these guys are made of. Yes it was a big game, but 3-2 is better than 2-4. I'll have to see to it though that we don't schedule Philly after a bye anymore.