AITAH: Am I the A**hole Here?

Parking Lot

Old 02-09-2021, 01:42 PM   #1
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Re: AITAH: Am I the A**hole Here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
LOL. Im your lady friend and you are my wife! Hahaha. My wife makes a piece of toast and it is like Thanksgiving dinner happened. She washes her hands at the sink and there is water everywhere. Literally on the wall and window. It is like a seal doing tricks with its flippers!
That's pretty damn funny. You live in my bizzarro world.

sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 01:12 PM   #2
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Ok I have a decent AITAH:

Moved into a new to me house (17 year old) around Oct. Back of the house, a smaller bump out section, two sections of vinyl siding looked/were loose buckled out.

Call roof and siding guy. House needed gutters tighten up, shutters tighten up and the siding issue. Owner of company comes out show him the whole job quotes me XXX dollars of those XXX dollars i say he had the vinyl work listed at 75% of the cost; i am think oh that is a big part of this job.

Guy comes does the job and I notice super quick on the siding part of the job but it no longer looks loose in the two spots I pointed out. As a rule of thumb if you can do a job in half second and its done correctly and you charged me XXX so be it. A lot of folks are say the plumber was here for 10 seconds and fixed it but charged me XXX; I get it your a expert had to come out, etc... all that relates to dollars in your pocket. Again, if it takes you a second i don't care just do it right, actually i am more annoyed when they linger around for too long.

Fast forward to say December; notice on 20 mph plus days siding still shakes looks loose. Call up owner dude, he said no worries will revisit it.

Comes out today looks it over with expert siding guy; expert siding guy says large section needs to be removed and reattached. Owner guy gets a bit grumpy with me; i say i explained it all to you, you quoted me the price for the work and the invoice even shows the siding was the biggest part of the job.

Anywho, he says he will get it right but sure left at least in my mind that i some how tricked him or misinformed him.

I feel like i explained it all very clearly on the first quote; he is the expert i can only tell him what i saw and seen.

AITAH????
Old 02-16-2021, 07:01 PM   #3
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Ok I have a decent AITAH:

Moved into a new to me house (17 year old) around Oct. Back of the house, a smaller bump out section, two sections of vinyl siding looked/were loose buckled out.

Call roof and siding guy. House needed gutters tighten up, shutters tighten up and the siding issue. Owner of company comes out show him the whole job quotes me XXX dollars of those XXX dollars i say he had the vinyl work listed at 75% of the cost; i am think oh that is a big part of this job.

Guy comes does the job and I notice super quick on the siding part of the job but it no longer looks loose in the two spots I pointed out. As a rule of thumb if you can do a job in half second and its done correctly and you charged me XXX so be it. A lot of folks are say the plumber was here for 10 seconds and fixed it but charged me XXX; I get it your a expert had to come out, etc... all that relates to dollars in your pocket. Again, if it takes you a second i don't care just do it right, actually i am more annoyed when they linger around for too long.

Fast forward to say December; notice on 20 mph plus days siding still shakes looks loose. Call up owner dude, he said no worries will revisit it.

Comes out today looks it over with expert siding guy; expert siding guy says large section needs to be removed and reattached. Owner guy gets a bit grumpy with me; i say i explained it all to you, you quoted me the price for the work and the invoice even shows the siding was the biggest part of the job.

Anywho, he says he will get it right but sure left at least in my mind that i some how tricked him or misinformed him.

I feel like i explained it all very clearly on the first quote; he is the expert i can only tell him what i saw and seen.

AITAH????
Remember MRedskins, you're not an asshole if you believe you're not.

Old 02-16-2021, 04:22 PM   #4
SunnySide
Playmaker

Vinyl siding? That stuff is super cheap to repair. Im no siding expert but Ive had my siding bulge out a few times, onetime the wind ripped a piece out. My experience, sometimes it can just be popped back in. One time, the guy had to cut it down a bit bc he said it was too big/wasnt cut right the first time.

im guessing he quoted you assuming his worker would take the siding down, inspect and maybe trim or have to buy and trim a new piece. But when the worker got there, he just popped it back in without checking to see what the actual problem was.

So no youre not the asshole imo, if they quoted you more than $100 and did the cheap fix and not actually repair it. You could have popped it back in yourself in 2 mins assuming it was somewhere accessible. Of course, itd probably pop right back out in a week or month.

Cold weather shrinks vinyl. I should check my siding.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 04:30 PM   #5
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Vinyl siding is kind of a puzzle, sometimes it’s not as easy as popping a piece back in. Think of it as a game of Jenga.

Regardless you are right, we shall see if he comes back and does the fix. I am not chasing him down just won’t use him again or recommend.

Home repairs are the worst; just the whole process of trying to get them repaired and dealing with every sue dick and Harry, ugh.
Old 02-16-2021, 07:38 PM   #6
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Ha! Not sure how I lied to him but whatever.
Old 02-16-2021, 07:47 PM   #7
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Ha! Not sure how I lied to him but whatever.
I wasn't calling you a liar, I should have clarified. I was just saying you're not an asshole if you don't believe it (jokingly) (I'm on your side on this one). Should have put a little disclaimer on my original message. Basically replace what the GIF says with being the asshole. I like Seinfeld too much, tried to squeeze it in there without it making complete sense.

I am the asshole for not explaining better what I was going for there.
Old 02-16-2021, 08:38 PM   #8
mredskins
Gamebreaker

No worries sdskins !

I was more speaking to myself with the answer; I feel bad but I explained it to the best of my ability and he stood literally right next to me. He is a younger and I respect any small business owner trying to make it; that is a tough road.

I paid him a decent amount for all the work, to correct the siding it’s all labor maybe a few nails. Just felt bad for him.
Old 02-16-2021, 08:50 PM   #9
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
No worries sdskins !

I was more speaking to myself with the answer; I feel bad but I explained it to the best of my ability and he stood literally right next to me. He is a younger and I respect any small business owner trying to make it; that is a tough road.

I paid him a decent amount for all the work, to correct the siding it’s all labor maybe a few nails. Just felt bad for him.
Yeah I get it. Sometimes there is no bad guy in a situation. Just something that happens. Cost of doing business.

A lot of times how a business replies to an issue is more important than the original work, when it comes to using them again or recommending them.

Doesn't sound like there is much you could've done differently.
Old 02-17-2021, 08:34 AM   #10
mredskins
Gamebreaker

All good points sds!
Old 12-06-2021, 04:07 PM   #11
SunnySide
Playmaker

This was a few weeks ago.

Friday night and we order a pick up pizza from Pizza Bolis. $15.99 for a large pepperoni, pick up in 20 mins. I get there maybe 30 mins later, pay for the pizza and the cashier goes in the back to check on it bc it wasnt up front.

Shes back there for a while. A line starts to form. Im standing to the side. She comes back out without my pizza and starts dealing with the line. One guy had been waiting over an hour, he was kinda pissed. Another guy had some type of issue.

The manager comes out and starts dealing with the customers.

The cashier lady starts to walk into the back and I remind her about my pizza. She comes out walking by me with another customers pizza and I had to get her attention and ask her if something is wrong with my order. She says they made it sausage instead of pepperoni.

Now Im a bit vexxed.

I tell her to just reverse the charge on my card. So the manager comes over and apologizes, nice as you could be, says ..

manager: "Im so sorry, I can have a large pepperoni to you in 5 mins."

me: "just give me my money back"

manager: "youre a loyal customer, please let me make this right. Ill get you a large pepperoni and put a free pizza on your account"

manager: "Im so sorry, we have a new system (repeats his offer)"

me: "I just want my money back."

------------------------------

Felt like an asshole. I wasnt rude, didnt yell, just keep repeating "i want my money back". Honest mistake, you could see they were having ordering issues and I feel like the cashier lady taking the orders over the phone and working up front was really new.

Normally id just take the free pizza and call it a win. At that moment, i didnt want to seem like I was complaining to try and get free shit. I was little mad bc the cashier lady just ignored me and I had to remind her Ive been waiting for my pizza.

So my family had frozen cardboard pizza that night instead of a free pizza bc their dad was entrenched and couldnt take a breath and relax.
Old 12-06-2021, 07:54 PM   #12
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
This was a few weeks ago.

Friday night and we order a pick up pizza from Pizza Bolis. $15.99 for a large pepperoni, pick up in 20 mins. I get there maybe 30 mins later, pay for the pizza and the cashier goes in the back to check on it bc it wasnt up front.

Shes back there for a while. A line starts to form. Im standing to the side. She comes back out without my pizza and starts dealing with the line. One guy had been waiting over an hour, he was kinda pissed. Another guy had some type of issue.

The manager comes out and starts dealing with the customers.

The cashier lady starts to walk into the back and I remind her about my pizza. She comes out walking by me with another customers pizza and I had to get her attention and ask her if something is wrong with my order. She says they made it sausage instead of pepperoni.

Now Im a bit vexxed.

I tell her to just reverse the charge on my card. So the manager comes over and apologizes, nice as you could be, says ..

manager: "Im so sorry, I can have a large pepperoni to you in 5 mins."

manager: "youre a loyal customer, please let me make this right. Ill get you a large pepperoni and put a free pizza on your account"

manager: "Im so sorry, we have a new system (repeats his offer)"

me: "I just want my money back."

------------------------------

Felt like an asshole. I wasnt rude, didnt yell, just keep repeating "i want my money back". Honest mistake, you could see they were having ordering issues and I feel like the cashier lady taking the orders over the phone and working up front was really new.

Normally id just take the free pizza and call it a win. At that moment, i didnt want to seem like I was complaining to try and get free shit. I was little mad bc the cashier lady just ignored me and I had to remind her Ive been waiting for my pizza.

So my family had frozen cardboard pizza that night instead of a free pizza bc their dad was entrenched and couldnt take a breath and relax.
No you're not the asshole. I had a very similar situation at a Ledo's and after ordering on line it was a thirty min wait and I was picking it up all ready charged to my card .SIL and I go in to pick this up and they say anoth 15 mins , 30 mins later I ask the manager he says a few more mins. To cut it short from start to finish it took two hours. Yes I was an ass when I left and I all so call the main office and filed a complant .
Old 12-06-2021, 09:31 PM   #13
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Sunny your first mistake was ordering from Pizza Boli's.

Every Saturday at the dealership I used to work at they would feed us lunch because we were too busy to take lunch breaks. It was a steady rotation between sandwich shop, Popeyes, and Pizza Boli's. Initially I didn't mind it but it got to the point where eating Boli's would make me nauseous and start dry-heaving. Towards the end I used to start paying a porter to go pick me up lunch when they ordered Boli's.

Not sure if it was a food safety issue or what but I ain't ever going back there.

Also you're not the asshole - obviously they were having some sort of system error and I'm sure you weren't the only unhappy customer that night. I would've just taken the free pizza, but there's no guarantee they would've had the replacement ready in 5 minutes either.
Old 12-06-2021, 11:25 PM   #14
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Pizza Bolis is straight shit ; they are pretty much all gone north of Bmore
Old 12-07-2021, 11:05 AM   #15
SunnySide
Playmaker

But ... there is an employment issue with min wage positions. Places like Bolis are hiring anyone and throwing them to the fire.

When covid first hit and we all scurried to our remote at home work .. it was the min wage grocery store cashiers and bolis cashiers who had to show up to work. This was back when we didnt know the extent or where covid was going to lead.

I tip sometimes 50% now, try an be overly understanding customer ... and I wasnt here.