Debating with the enemy

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 04:32 PM   #421
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Re: Trayvon Martin Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
An unarmed teen carrying tea and skittles, on his way home, got shot in the chest and people are too emotionally charged?
And comments like Obama's "If I had a son, he'd look like Trayvon."

Anybody else in favor of trial by professional jurists? Or robots? So people's emotions don't play a role in this?

Advertisements
Old 06-03-2012, 05:41 PM   #422
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HailGreen28 View Post
And comments like Obama's "If I had a son, he'd look like Trayvon."

Anybody else in favor of trial by professional jurists? Or robots? So people's emotions don't play a role in this?
Of course emotions are involved.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #423
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by HailGreen28 View Post
anybody else in favor of trial by professional jurists? Or robots? So people's emotions don't play a role in this?
It would be a much safer world if computers ran the judicial system jury and sentencing. No human bias.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:06 AM   #424
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinRat View Post
It would be a much safer world if computers ran the judicial system jury and sentencing. No human bias.
because human compassion, bias, idiosyncrasies have no place in taking note of circumstances surrounding a human action/inaction.

Let's here it for I, Robot jurists (I wonder how sentencing a man to 15 years to life fits in the 3 laws)...
Old 06-04-2012, 11:10 AM   #425
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

quote from I, Robot synopsis:
Quote:
Apparently [Will Smith's character] was in a bad car accident a few years before. He was driving on a bridge and the car next to him smashed into him which caused the two cars to fall off the bridge into water. There was a young girl in the other car. A robot swam under water and pulled Spooner out but left the girl. The little girl drowned. The robot computed a 45% chance of his survival and only an 11% survival of the girl. Its logic chose him. A human, Del says, would never have made that choice.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:17 AM   #426
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
An unarmed teen carrying tea and skittles, on his way home, got shot in the chest and people are too emotionally charged?
If your so concerned about shootings why not bring up Chicago shootings and the 10 dead in just one weekend? There have been over 851 shootings there but no one seems to care about that. Just this one case.

This Memorial Day weekend turned into a bloody massacre in Chicago. There were a total of 40 reported shootings, which left 10 people dead and a dozen injured.
STORY: Got 'Em! Naked Man Who Chewed Off Another Man's Face Identified!
A man was shot dead near a holiday party in the South Shore neighborhood late Monday night, while an unidentified woman was found shot to death in an abandoned building.
The recent homicides have doubled as compared to Memorial Day 2011 and according to homicide records, there have been at least 200 homicides so far this year compared with 134 during the same period in 2011. That's a 49.25 percent increase over the last year.
On Tuesday, Mayor Rahm Emanuel and Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy are expected to hold a news conference where they discuss two new crime reduction strategies as shootings are up nearly 14 percent over last year.
There have been 851 shootings so far in 2012 compared with 747 during the same period in 2011, police data showed.
As reported by the Chicago Tribune:

Read more: 40 Shot, 10 Dead And Dozens Injured Over Memorial Day Weekend In Chicago (DETAILS) | Global Grind
Old 06-04-2012, 12:13 PM   #427
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
If your so concerned about shootings why not bring up Chicago shootings and the 10 dead in just one weekend? There have been over 851 shootings there but no one seems to care about that.

<SNIP>
I'd hazard a guess that the Chicago situation doesn't provide the racially charged narrative so useful to the current Administration.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:14 PM   #428
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
quote from I, Robot synopsis:
I'm not seeing the connection between sci-fi and an acceptable alternative to the current system.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:28 PM   #429
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
If your so concerned about shootings why not bring up Chicago shootings and the 10 dead in just one weekend? There have been over 851 shootings there but no one seems to care about that. Just this one case.

This Memorial Day weekend turned into a bloody massacre in Chicago. There were a total of 40 reported shootings, which left 10 people dead and a dozen injured.
STORY: Got 'Em! Naked Man Who Chewed Off Another Man's Face Identified!
A man was shot dead near a holiday party in the South Shore neighborhood late Monday night, while an unidentified woman was found shot to death in an abandoned building.
The recent homicides have doubled as compared to Memorial Day 2011 and according to homicide records, there have been at least 200 homicides so far this year compared with 134 during the same period in 2011. That's a 49.25 percent increase over the last year.
On Tuesday, Mayor Rahm Emanuel and Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy are expected to hold a news conference where they discuss two new crime reduction strategies as shootings are up nearly 14 percent over last year.
There have been 851 shootings so far in 2012 compared with 747 during the same period in 2011, police data showed.
As reported by the Chicago Tribune:

Read more: 40 Shot, 10 Dead And Dozens Injured Over Memorial Day Weekend In Chicago (DETAILS) | Global Grind
Who says I'm not concerned about the Chicago shootings? And in case you didn't notice, this is the Trayvon Martin thread? #applesandoranges
Old 06-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #430
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinRat View Post
No. It wouldn't. Law is a human creation intended to be for humans and adjudicated by humans. Inherent in its creation is the use and consideration of human emotions (bias, mercy, prejudice, compassion, etc.). To then remove emotion from the application of such a creation is to create a systematic flaw. The resultant and inherently inhuman application of such laws would lead to attrocities and the "logical/rational" choices in which a mechanical being would make no attempt to save a drowning child. For good or ill, the law is our creation. It is meant for us and for us to apply it. I for one, chose not to surrender the adjudication of my actions to a highly sophisticated calculator. Accordingly, I will ask no one else to either.

As with calumny, the way to deal with demagougery is to expose it as such. Here, just read through the past posts to see how the media has manipulated emotions.

@12 - An unarmed teen was shot and killed. You're familiar with Baltimore - you know that happens a lot in our gritty little city. Is your emotional outrage equally obvious for the victims? Or is it reserved for media driven side shows of race baiting (Before the Martin case, had you ever heard of a "white latino"?)

Zimmerman lied about his income and passport. He did so as part of a bond hearing. Normally such testimony is given under oath. Regardless, the misrepresentations were made in open court with the intent for the judge to rely on them. This will come out at trial and I am sure it will do no benefit to Zimmerman.

Again, had this not been so racially charged at its inception - would we be hearing about it? How many folks in Baltimore City Circuit Court lie daily about the facts surrounding their crime. Yet, somehow, shockingly, they fail to make national news.

Last edited by JoeRedskin; 06-04-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:08 PM   #431
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Who says I'm not concerned about the Chicago shootings? And in case you didn't notice, this is the Trayvon Martin thread? #applesandoranges
See, here's the thing -- through your posts, I see your emotionalism in this case tied up in the race of the victim rather than the generic concern about the death of an unarmed teen. Unarmed teens are shot and killed multiple times a month in Baltimore. Did you wear a hoodie for them? Did you rally for them? Have you notified the Mayor and members of the city counsel of your outrage through a simple phone call or letter?

If you do feel the same outrage at these killings, and you may well, I sincerely apologize. What I see from your postings, however, is concern for a victim wrapped in race rather than outrage over the death of a teen due to unnecessary violence - regardless of race.

This case is like many other murders throughout the nation. Mistaken identity, over-zealous gunman, etc. It is not, and has never been, worthy of the national news and only remains so b/c of the race based coverage it received early on.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:18 PM   #432
12thMan
MVP

@Joe, I'm a native Washingtonian from the '80s. Grew up in N.E. when D.C. was the murder capital of the nation. Many that I grew up with were either murdered, committed murder, or incarcerated. I've seen urban violence up close and too f*cking personal.

I'm not sure what little box you think I'm in regarding Trayvon Martin or how I'm supposed to feel, but my outrage is mine and mine alone. I'm not trying to prove anything here.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #433
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
See, here's the thing -- through your posts, I see your emotionalism in this case tied up in the race of the victim rather than the generic concern about the death of an unarmed teen. Unarmed teens are shot and killed multiple times a month in Baltimore. Did you wear a hoodie for them? Did you rally for them? Have you notified the Mayor and members of the city counsel of your outrage through a simple phone call or letter?

If you do feel the same outrage at these killings, and you may well, I sincerely apologize. What I see from your postings, however, is concern for a victim wrapped in race rather than outrage over the death of a teen due to unnecessary violence - regardless of race.

This case is like many other murders throughout the nation. Mistaken identity, over-zealous gunman, etc. It is not, and has never been, worthy of the national news and only remains so b/c of the race based coverage it received early on.
Don't parse my posts and interpret what you think they mean or what I'm trying to say.

Who are you to say this case isn't worthy of national news? Tell that to the parents of Trayvon Martin who's killer roamed free for over a month before charges were even brought. Zimmerman, in likelihood, would still be walking the streets today had it not been for the outrage of the Sanford community.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:31 PM   #434
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
No. It wouldn't. Law is a human creation intended to be for humans and adjudicated by humans.
So are computers.

Quote:
Inherent in its creation is the use and consideration of human emotions (bias, mercy, prejudice, compassion, etc.). To then remove emotion from the application of such a creation is to create a systematic flaw.
I'm not seeing any evidence of the removal of human flaws creating a more flawed system.

Quote:
The resultant and inherent inhuman application of such laws would lead to attrocities and the "logical/rational" choices in which a mechanical being would make no attempt to save a drowning child.
WTF?!?!??! Where are you getting this from?

Quote:
For good or ill, the law is our creation. It is meant for us and for us to apply it. I for one, chose not to surrender the adjudication of my actions to a highly sophisticated calculator. Accordingly, I will ask no one else to either.
It's called progress.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:39 PM   #435
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Don't parse my posts and interpret what you think they mean or what I'm trying to say.

Who are you to say this case isn't worthy of national news? Tell that to the parents of Trayvon Martin who's killer roamed free for over a month before charges were even brought. Zimmerman, in likelihood, would still be walking the streets today had it not been for the outrage of the Sanford community.
That's fine I just wonder where this outrage is everyday a kid is killed in the inner city. If this much attention and effort went toward that then maybe something would actually happen to stop the senseless killings. In many of those killings the community turns its back to law enforcement but now when it convient they want the cops involved.
Closed Thread