Chaos at the Capitol: New thread edition

Debating with the enemy

Old 04-01-2022, 01:20 PM   #361
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Re: Chaos at the Capitol: New thread edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Getting back to trumps/chico's people who were peacefully protesting..............

https://news.yahoo.com/man-faces-sen...100916386.html

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - An Alabama man on Friday could be sentenced to more than three years in prison for bringing a pickup truck full of firearms, ammunition, and Molotov cocktails to Washington on Jan. 6, 2021, when former President Donald Trump's supporters stormed the U.S. Capitol.

Lonnie Coffman, 72, who already pleaded guilty to possessing unregistered firearms, is due to face a federal judge at 10 a.m. ET (1400 GMT).

Coffman faces 37 to 46 months in prison under federal sentencing guidelines. U.S. District Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly, who is hearing Coffman's case, has the authority to go below that range.
Coffman has been in custody since his arrest on Jan. 6, 2021, and his lawyer has argued that further incarceration is not warranted in light of his age, health, remorse and acceptance of responsibility.

Police officers arrested Coffman near the Capitol after noticing the handle of a gun in his pickup truck while they were responding to pipe bombs left outside the headquarters of the Democratic National Committee and Republican National Committee, both of which are near the Capitol.

Inside Coffman's truck, officers found an AR-15-style rifle, a shotgun, a crossbow, several machetes, smoke grenades and 11 Molotov cocktails. They also found a note with the name of at least one member of Congress and a judge, alongside the notation "bad guy."

Prosecutors said at the time that the combination of weapons and political messages “suggest that these weapons were intended to be used in an effort to violently attack our elected representatives.”
https://www.reuters.com/world/us/man...ot-2022-04-01/

Came up with a new headline for you G1.

"Guy who should be retired and enjoying life is instead sentenced to almost 4 years in prison because he let a reality-tv show host convince him to overthrow the government."

Nice.

Advertisements
Old 04-07-2022, 02:50 PM   #362
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

First acquittal in a trial case for a rioter.

https://www.npr.org/2022/04/07/10913...riot-acquittal

I have a hard time with the judge's logic that it was reasonable to believe Martin was allowed to storm the Capitol.
Old 04-07-2022, 03:51 PM   #363
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
First acquittal in a trial case for a rioter.

https://www.npr.org/2022/04/07/10913...riot-acquittal

I have a hard time with the judge's logic that it was reasonable to believe Martin was allowed to storm the Capitol.
McFadden, who was nominated by former President Donald Trump, acquitted Martin of all four counts for which he was charged.

McFadden said it was reasonable for Martin to believe that outnumbered police officers allowed him and others to enter the Capitol through the Rotunda doors on Jan. 6, 2021. The judge also said Martin's actions were "about as minimal and non-serious" as anyone who was at the Capitol that day.

-------------------

Sounds like the judge skewed his "neutral fact finder" role in a non-jury case to reach the pre destined outcome the judge wanted.

I dont know the federal trespassing on the Capitol code or statute but it sounds like a "reasonable person" standard. "Would a reasonable person under the circumstances believe they were allowed to enter the Capitol?" ... theres no way in hell the judge actually thought a reasonable person would believe they were allowed to do what they did.

If the guy just walked into the Capitol, didnt hit any officers, then left .. I dont really care. Probably did a few days or more in pre trial detention.

Criminal defendants have a right to be tried by a judge and not a jury, their choice to waive jury trial.

Smart move. Get in front of a trump judge.

-------------

You want to talk about rogue judges applying their own bias and not the law .... but whatever just wouldnt trust this judge.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 08:21 PM   #364
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
McFadden, who was nominated by former President Donald Trump, acquitted Martin of all four counts for which he was charged.

McFadden said it was reasonable for Martin to believe that outnumbered police officers allowed him and others to enter the Capitol through the Rotunda doors on Jan. 6, 2021. The judge also said Martin's actions were "about as minimal and non-serious" as anyone who was at the Capitol that day.

-------------------

Sounds like the judge skewed his "neutral fact finder" role in a non-jury case to reach the pre destined outcome the judge wanted.

I dont know the federal trespassing on the Capitol code or statute but it sounds like a "reasonable person" standard. "Would a reasonable person under the circumstances believe they were allowed to enter the Capitol?" ... theres no way in hell the judge actually thought a reasonable person would believe they were allowed to do what they did.

If the guy just walked into the Capitol, didnt hit any officers, then left .. I dont really care. Probably did a few days or more in pre trial detention.

Criminal defendants have a right to be tried by a judge and not a jury, their choice to waive jury trial.

Smart move. Get in front of a trump judge.

-------------

You want to talk about rogue judges applying their own bias and not the law .... but whatever just wouldnt trust this judge.
The Prosecutor should file an appeal but with so many people it's useless.
Old 04-08-2022, 08:03 AM   #365
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Lolololol

Yes G1 let’s set fire to Constitutional rights

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 08:41 AM   #366
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Lolololol

You’re such a good little Trumper using the constitution as a shiny object.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 08:47 AM   #367
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Chaos at the Capitol: New thread edition

Can you imagine what Chico and the rest of the Trumpers would be saying if BLM had done this to make a statement about racial inequality instead of a lie about a stolen election?. Omg.

I mean Trump would have had them all killed but if they somehow managed to get away with it to this point? Chico would have had a mental breakdown a long time ago. Instead its just white people adhering to the constitution. Lol. Ok.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 10:18 AM   #368
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Appeals based on factual determinations are near impossible as review courts defer to the fact finder who actually heard the evidence at trial vs superimposing their own view from reading a record. Courts give trials deference.

Appeals based on misapplication of law or judicial error .. those have legs. Standard is lower.

This judge (and every judge, even your district court county judge) knows that if they want an appeal proof judgment to try and base decision on a finding of fact.
---------

Had a bench trial 2 weeks ago, hit and run car accident, small case. Defense stipulated to liability in the hopes it would be inadmissible to introduce evidence of the hit and run. I had my client testify as to hit and run. defense objects and puts their "objection on the record" which indicates you are going to appeal. Defense moved for mistrial. judge denied.

Judge clearly stated on the record that he would not consider the hit and run testimony in reaching his verdict.

Judge gave me 3 times my specials (i was expecting 2) ... he took the hit and run into account but made an appeal proof record that he wouldnt.
Old 04-08-2022, 10:55 AM   #369
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Appeals based on factual determinations are near impossible as review courts defer to the fact finder who actually heard the evidence at trial vs superimposing their own view from reading a record. Courts give trials deference.

Appeals based on misapplication of law or judicial error .. those have legs. Standard is lower.

This judge (and every judge, even your district court county judge) knows that if they want an appeal proof judgment to try and base decision on a finding of fact.
---------

Had a bench trial 2 weeks ago, hit and run car accident, small case. Defense stipulated to liability in the hopes it would be inadmissible to introduce evidence of the hit and run. I had my client testify as to hit and run. defense objects and puts their "objection on the record" which indicates you are going to appeal. Defense moved for mistrial. judge denied.

Judge clearly stated on the record that he would not consider the hit and run testimony in reaching his verdict.

Judge gave me 3 times my specials (i was expecting 2) ... he took the hit and run into account but made an appeal proof record that he wouldnt.
So after a prosecution and the defendant has been acquitted, can the prosecution file an appeal of a jury or judge decision? Seems like that might be a problem

He Gets Us
Old 04-08-2022, 11:08 AM   #370
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
So after a prosecution and the defendant has been acquitted, can the prosecution file an appeal of a jury or judge decision? Seems like that might be a problem
Good question, im a low rent ambulance chaser dont do criminal but youd think double jeopardy attaches.

Id say no. You can file an appeal but itd probably be DOA.
Old 04-08-2022, 11:36 AM   #371
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:

---------

judicial error. The man had no right to be in the building, it was closed to the public. Had the MOB not broken in there is reasonable expectation he would not have been allowed in. If after being broken into a Capital Police Officer was trying to calm the situation by not attempting to remove the mob does not or can not be assumed permission of entrance.
Old 04-08-2022, 11:47 AM   #372
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Lolololol

Acquitted vs. Not Guilty – Is There a Difference?
Posted on August 17, 2020

While an acquittal is a general term for a not guilty verdict, there is a subtle difference between the two terms under criminal law. Not guilty means that a defendant is not legally answerable for the criminal charge filed against him/her. An acquittal is a finding by a judge or jury that a defendant is not guilty of the crime charged.

Note that an acquittal does not mean that the defendant is innocent in a criminal case. Rather, it means that the prosecutor failed to prove that the defendant was guilty “beyond a reasonable doubt.”

Note too that an acquittal is not the same thing as when charges get dismissed. A dismissal comes before a jury trial and usually takes place because:

the prosecutor does not believe there is enough evidence to support the case, or
the judge decides a case lacks credibility.
In a dismissal, the case against the defendant ends and he/she does not have to stand trial.

If a judge or jury acquits a defendant, then double jeopardy attaches and the defendant has a complete defense to an additional prosecution for the same offense in the same jurisdiction
Old 04-08-2022, 12:39 PM   #373
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
You’re such a good little Trumper using the constitution as a shiny object.
Hey Punch! Hope you are well. At least it’s Friday

He Gets Us
Old 04-08-2022, 12:41 PM   #374
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Good question, im a low rent ambulance chaser dont do criminal but youd think double jeopardy attaches.

Id say no. You can file an appeal but itd probably be DOA.
Thanks SS.

He Gets Us
Old 04-27-2022, 04:21 PM   #375
Giantone
Gamebreaker

The Republican party is a shit show! I actual remember when people would be thrown out of Congress for shit like Jan 6th.

https://news.yahoo.com/mccarthy-fear...113418203.html