Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Commanders 2023 Off-Season Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: How would you address the QB1 situation for 2023?
Swing big in a trade for a veteran 2 3.77%
Trade up in the draft for a top prospect 4 7.55%
See who hits free agency 7 13.21%
Sit tight with Howell 35 66.04%
Other 5 9.43%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-31-2023, 12:40 PM   #361
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Re: Commanders 2023 Off-Season Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
But what should Curl earn in a new contract?

Coupled with Monday’s news regarding the salary cap increase in 2023, Curl’s new contract should make him among the top five paid safeties in the NFL next season. Currently, Derwin James, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Jamal Adams, Harrison Smith and Justin Simmons comprise the top five. James has an average-annual value of $19 million per year, while Simmons comes in at $15.2 million.

There’s no way Curl comes in less than $15 million per season. Regardless, Washington can’t wait this one out. It’s best for everyone if Washington calls Curl to the negotiating table in February and hammers out a new deal.

https://commanderswire.usatoday.com/...l-daron-payne/

I like Curl but dang ...

I hear you...

The reality is, even though the salary cap is going up, I don't think you can pay top five salaries for players at every position group. You have to pick your poison when it comes to resigning players to these lucrative contracts. Not everyone that balls out is going to be retained/paid. You sign who you can based on what you think their value is to the team, and then hope you can continue to find cheaper alternatives either in free agency or the draft for those players you can't afford. Letting Settle and Matty I go and bringing in Ridgeway and Mathis is an example of that likely working out / and letting Fowers and Scherff go and bringing in Turner and Norwell is an example of that not working out.

I don't know if Curl is going to get a top five salary here, but if not, my guess is he will get it somewhere else. It just boils down to the importance of the team being successful in the draft - especially the later rounds which is exactly where we found Curl, and being successful in free agency. I hope we retain Curl, but only if it makes sense with regard to the ability to build out the rest of the roster. If they can't extend him, it was a success - drafting him in the 7th round and getting four years out of him at that salary. We need more examples of that (and a QB).
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-31-2023, 12:58 PM   #362
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
I hear you...

The reality is, even though the salary cap is going up, I don't think you can pay top five salaries for players at every position group. You have to pick your poison when it comes to resigning players to these lucrative contracts. Not everyone that balls out is going to be retained/paid. You sign who you can based on what you think their value is to the team, and then hope you can continue to find cheaper alternatives either in free agency or the draft for those players you can't afford. Letting Settle and Matty I go and bringing in Ridgeway and Mathis is an example of that likely working out / and letting Fowers and Scherff go and bringing in Turner and Norwell is an example of that not working out.

I don't know if Curl is going to get a top five salary here, but if not, my guess is he will get it somewhere else. It just boils down to the importance of the team being successful in the draft - especially the later rounds which is exactly where we found Curl, and being successful in free agency. I hope we retain Curl, but only if it makes sense with regard to the ability to build out the rest of the roster. If they can't extend him, it was a success - drafting him in the 7th round and getting four years out of him at that salary. We need more examples of that (and a QB).
I know Norwell sucked a big bag early on and we had injuries causing a turnstile at RG .. but scherff wasnt good this year, I think the cap savings of not being anchored to a long term deal with an old oft injured vet in Scherff was the right move.

Scherff is a 20M cap hit next year, which is fine if he plays top 5 for guards ... but he didnt.

Norwell - 59.8 pff, 4 sacks
Scherff - 59 pff, 6 sacks

----

Curl .. second highest rated safety by PFF w 82.9 .... and hes great in coverage, green dot, D better w him etc .. but did he have one game changing play this year?

I could name 10 safeties id want above steady solid Curl. I know it doesnt work that way and you have to pay whose available and the market is always being reset ...

Kinda like Sweat .. I just dont see either being elite at their position, very good yes but not elite
Old 01-31-2023, 01:11 PM   #363
AnonEmouse
The Starter

I think Chief meant that we replaced Flowers and Scherff with inferior subs, not that we should have kept either. And Flowers was still an FA even when teams like Cincy were in dire need of OL. We just made a bad choice with who we replaced them with. I'd really like to have seen them rebuild the OL in the draft and I hope they do that this year. And not retain projects like Charles again!

With Curl the one factor I'd also consider is his locker room and on field leadership. All good words said about him by players and coaches and that doesn't count for nothing. Yes its a business, but you can't discount the intangibles when deciding what to pay him. You can't have 53 leaders on the roster, but we should try to keep at least one leader in each position group.
AnonEmouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 01:15 PM   #364
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
I know Norwell sucked a big bag early on and we had injuries causing a turnstile at RG .. but scherff wasnt good this year, I think the cap savings of not being anchored to a long term deal with an old oft injured vet in Scherff was the right move.

Scherff is a 20M cap hit next year, which is fine if he plays top 5 for guards ... but he didnt.

Norwell - 59.8 pff, 4 sacks
Scherff - 59 pff, 6 sacks

----

Curl .. second highest rated safety by PFF w 82.9 .... and hes great in coverage, green dot, D better w him etc .. but did he have one game changing play this year?

I could name 10 safeties id want above steady solid Curl. I know it doesnt work that way and you have to pay whose available and the market is always being reset ...

Kinda like Sweat .. I just dont see either being elite at their position, very good yes but not elite
Yeah, I can't speak to what happened to Scherff this year in JAX, but I do know that we lost every single game in 2021 that he didn't start. Was that a coincidence? Maybe. Either way I was fine with letting him go (not paying him top $), I just wish we would have found a better alternative than who we brought in to replace him.
Old 01-31-2023, 01:15 PM   #365
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
I think Chief meant that we replaced Flowers and Scherff with inferior subs, not that we should have kept either. And Flowers was still an FA even when teams like Cincy were in dire need of OL. We just made a bad choice with who we replaced them with. I'd really like to have seen them rebuild the OL in the draft and I hope they do that this year. And not retain projects like Charles again!

With Curl the one factor I'd also consider is his locker room and on field leadership. All good words said about him by players and coaches and that doesn't count for nothing. Yes its a business, but you can't discount the intangibles when deciding what to pay him. You can't have 53 leaders on the roster, but we should try to keep at least one leader in each position group.
Exactly.
Old 01-31-2023, 02:33 PM   #366
SunnySide
Playmaker

James - 64 solo, 2 ints, 6 PD
fitzpatrick - 56, 6, 11
adams - IR
Smith - 66, 5, 10
Simmons - 42, 6, 7
Curl - 58, 0, 0

--------

Seems all the top paid safeties are sideline to sideline coverage do all guys, they are hard to find players .. Curl seems like an in the box safety with good cover skills, in box safeties are much easier to find.

Curl is not like the other guys, closest to Jamal Adams
Old 01-31-2023, 02:45 PM   #367
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Oh shit, Carr is a pro bowler now. Let's trade for him.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 03:53 PM   #368
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
Oh shit, Carr is a pro bowler now. Let's trade for him.
No, absolutely not. I'd take him as an FA, but no trade thank you.

Has to stick in McDaniels craw though
AnonEmouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 04:16 PM   #369
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

I'm sorry but Kam curl is not as important as Payne
Old 01-31-2023, 09:08 PM   #370
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
i think it means suspect

Oh i know its just balmy to say sus
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 09:17 PM   #371
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Oh i know its just balmy to say sus
I just googled Sus because I didn't know what the fuck you whippersnappers were talking about.

I hope to never see it again.

I HATE stupid "words" like that.
Old 01-31-2023, 09:19 PM   #372
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
No, absolutely not. I'd take him as an FA, but no trade thank you.

Has to stick in McDaniels craw though
Yeah, I don't want to trade for him either.

It was just more a tongue-in-cheek reference to a recent comment I made as to not caring about guys being a pro bowler or not.
Old 01-31-2023, 09:19 PM   #373
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
I'm sorry but Kam curl is not as important as Payne

Not even close.
The problem is we still do not have a good GM. That is my biggest concern. I have more faith in us calling the shots than I do anyone in that organization, and I am not even joking.
Old 01-31-2023, 09:22 PM   #374
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
I just googled Sus because I didn't know what the fuck you whippersnappers were talking about.

I hope to never see it again.

I HATE stupid "words" like that.

It’s awful. Anyway Chico is probably balm shopping right now at his fave store.
Old 01-31-2023, 09:27 PM   #375
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
It’s awful. Anyway Chico is probably balm shopping right now at his fave store.
He definitely is.