Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 08:29 PM   #346
Skinzman
The Starter

Re: Darrell Green does not support Redskin name change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Halbritter is just part of the anti-name campaign. The American Indian Movement (often known just as AIM) is also hosting a protest at our game in Minnesota. AIM is a major, influential pan-Indian organization which includes members from many tribes and is not associated with Halbritter's Oneida Nation. AIM advocates for Native American rights in a number of ways.
The irony of your post. Russel Means, AIM's first National Director and a former famous actor, called the term 'Native American' racist.

Most Indians want to be called by their tribal affiliation over being called an Indian or Native American. But between those two names, most prefer Indian or American Indian over Native American, with a fair amount of Indians flat out calling 'Native American' a derogatory term. When this country was in control of their ancestors, it wasnt called America, and when it became America, they were kicked off of their land.

If its about the Indians, then lets get Andrew Jackson off of the $20 bill. If we really want to offer Indians a symbolic gesture, lets put Sitting Bull, Cochise, or some other famous Indian chief of the past on the $20 bill.

Advertisements
Old 11-06-2013, 08:48 PM   #347
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinzman View Post
The irony of your post. Russel Means, AIM's first National Director and a former famous actor, called the term 'Native American' racist.

Most Indians want to be called by their tribal affiliation over being called an Indian or Native American. But between those two names, most prefer Indian or American Indian over Native American, with a fair amount of Indians flat out calling 'Native American' a derogatory term. When this country was in control of their ancestors, it wasnt called America, and when it became America, they were kicked off of their land.

If its about the Indians, then lets get Andrew Jackson off of the $20 bill. If we really want to offer Indians a symbolic gesture, lets put Sitting Bull, Cochise, or some other famous Indian chief of the past on the $20 bill.
I saw a show, forget where, about native americans/ indians and andrew jackson. They were referring to him as Hitler and what a disgrace it is that he is on the 20 dollar bill.
I get your point about "native americans". Indian puzzles me too though. They arent from the west indies or India. The term indian in reference to native americans stemmed from a case of mistaken identity - because settlers had thought they had landed in the west indies. Anyway to refer to them by their tribal names - well thats just complicated. Anyway this all falls into the "name vs important issue " deal.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:52 AM   #348
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I think in some ways focusing on the name is one way for them to draw attention to the other issues. Because let's face it, how many people were even thinking about all the other problems until they said "Why are they worried about the name, look at all the other problems they've got"

We have a winner folks .
Old 11-07-2013, 06:45 AM   #349
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
I think in some ways focusing on the name is one way for them to draw attention to the other issues. Because let's face it, how many people were even thinking about all the other problems until they said "Why are they worried about the name, look at all the other problems they've got"
Kinda like how all of a sudden all these people are offended by the name Redskins.

He Gets Us
Old 11-07-2013, 08:11 AM   #350
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinzman View Post

I understand your post and don't essentially disagree. You are correct that tribal affiliation is generally preferred. In my experience you go a bit too far, though. Unlike Russell Means, whom you quote accurately, many Indians don't mind being called Native Americans.

Here Jeff Harrel takes your Andrew Jackson-type argument and runs with it all the way to "Give us our land back."
Hail to the Red, White and Offensive - Guest Commentary - Native News Network
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Old 11-07-2013, 08:56 AM   #351
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Most people are still not even talking about the other issues Native Americans face. Outside of this thread, people just talk about the Redskins name. That's all I've heard in the media. Nothing else. I really, honestly, don't think it makes a difference in the long run in terms of addressing the real issues Native Americans face. Once the name change thing is settled for good - whatever that resolution turns out to be - we won't ever hear anything else about the issues Native Americans face in this country. Up until last week, I didn't know November was Native American history month.

I also believe the name change thing ultimately throws even more negativity upon the Native Americans than what may already be there. There's better ways of getting people to not just talk about the issues NAs face, but to do something about it. I think in the grand scheme of things, the name change issues won't really do much to help Native Americans. I mean, when I'm seeing some guy claiming to be of an Indian tribe who's pretty wealthy, my thoughts turn on what is he doing with his money to help his people. Anything at all? Anything substantial? He's championing a name change of a sports team? What does that truly do for the Native Americans?
Old 11-07-2013, 08:58 AM   #352
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
Most people are still not even talking about the other issues Native Americans face. Outside of this thread, people just talk about the Redskins name. That's all I've heard in the media. Nothing else. I really, honestly, don't think it makes a difference in the long run in terms of addressing the real issues Native Americans face. Once the name change thing is settled for good - whatever that resolution turns out to be - we won't ever hear anything else about the issues Native Americans face in this country. Up until last week, I didn't know November was Native American history month.

I also believe the name change thing ultimately throws even more negativity upon the Native Americans than what may already be there. There's better ways of getting people to not just talk about the issues NAs face, but to do something about it. I think in the grand scheme of things, the name change issues won't really do much to help Native Americans. I mean, when I'm seeing some guy claiming to be of an Indian tribe who's pretty wealthy, my thoughts turn on what is he doing with his money to help his people. Anything at all? Anything substantial? He's championing a name change of a sports team? What does that truly do for the Native Americans?
For the win

/end thread

He Gets Us
Old 11-07-2013, 09:03 AM   #353
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
We have a winner folks .
Occasionally I make great predictions. (about g1 not ss)
Old 11-07-2013, 10:00 AM   #354
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

"Racism, Inc." Comes to Football | See Thru Edu

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
Old 11-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #355
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
This country was not responsible for what happened to the jews though, and there was a world war in which Hitler and the Nazi regime was wiped out and shamed to this day. There is worldwide sympathy and disgust about what happened to the jews, and that is not the case for the native americans.
Also if you think the jews have "gotten over" the holocaust well you should talk to some. Who is making excuses? Jews? Native Americans? For what?
It really cones across as if u think it was their fault for what happened to them.
What the hell are you talking about. Where did I ever say they have "gotten over" what happened to them? The point I was making is that they don't dwell on the past they have moved on with life.

My quote.

"I don't but there are plenty of examples of people over coming and moving on with life. The best example would be the Jews and what they have over come. I don't see them rehasing and making excuses because of what happened to them."
Old 11-07-2013, 10:41 AM   #356
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Darrell Green does not support Redskin name change

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
What the hell are you talking about. Where did I ever say they have "gotten over" what happened to them? The point I was making is that they don't dwell on the past they have moved on with life.

My quote.

"I don't but there are plenty of examples of people over coming and moving on with life. The best example would be the Jews and what they have over come. I don't see them rehasing and making excuses because of what happened to them."
Gotten over = dont dwell, move on.
Edit : would it have made a difference if I had said they "dont dwell" on it?
Old 11-07-2013, 11:40 AM   #357
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Edit: nope.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:23 PM   #358
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post

My quote.

Amazing .
Old 11-08-2013, 12:00 AM   #359
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Amazing .
Amazing your so f*cking dumb.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:03 AM   #360
MTK
\m/