Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Merged: The Movies Thread

Parking Lot

Old 08-29-2008, 10:25 AM   #1
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Re: Merged: The Movies Thread

I saw Tropic Thunder last night as well. Movie is effing hilarious. Alpa Chino's music video at the beginning of the movie sets a great tone for what you're in for. So many things were great about this movie...

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:46 AM   #2
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBurgundy View Post
I saw Tropic Thunder last night as well. Movie is effing hilarious. Alpa Chino's music video at the beginning of the movie sets a great tone for what you're in for. So many things were great about this movie...
Nice, buddy of mine from college is in that movie. He plays Tru, he's that Vietnamese dude that shows up in all the trailers with Stiller, Downey Jr, and Black. He was also in How High with Meth and Red.

Looking forward to seeing this
Old 08-29-2008, 09:49 PM   #3
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Friend of mine gave me a movie link where you can watch whole movies online. I haven't tried it out yet nor checked out the quality of the movies.. But you guys can give it a shot. Tell me how it works out for you. (Granted, I dunno how legal this is!)

Watch Movies Online For Free Full Movie Downloads

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 12:59 PM   #4
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

My wife just rented "In the Name of the King" from Blockbuster. (we pay $15 a month or whatever and get unlimited rentals) What a steamy pile of shit that movie was. It was bad enough that I had to research the director, Uwe Boll. Apparently this clown is the worst director/producer of all time. I've officially given up on any hope that Jason Statham can star in a decent movie. I don't know what's worse: The fact that they failed horribly in attempting to rip off LOTR at every point, or the fact that they attempted to rip off Eragon (another steaming pile) as well...

Thomas Paine
Old 09-11-2008, 11:55 AM   #5
MTK
\m/

Anyone going to check this one out?

Burn After Reading | Movie Review | Entertainment Weekly
Old 09-11-2008, 01:49 PM   #6
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post

Probably not. This is the slow time of the year for Hollywood, Iam waiting for the holiday movies.

I did see Tropic thunder it was awesome. Action and comdey all in one!
Old 09-12-2008, 02:30 PM   #7
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post

BDK Review:

Another Coen Brothers classic. The point of Burn After Reading is that there is no point and that is the entire point. Are you completely confused? To use an oxy-moron, this was officially the dumbest-smart film I have ever seen. The Coen Brothers are back with a film that I think was more entertaining than No Country For Old Men and had an ending that actually made sense (after seeing the film multiple times I understand it but they could have done without it and just left out Tommy Lee Jones' character completely). I will say right off the bat that Burn After Reading is not a movie for everybody. This is the type of film that people will walk out of, pissed off and wondering what they just paid for. If you do that, then you obviously didn't the point of the film. Remember, there is NO POINT. That is the whole joke and it is extremely smart and well written. The Coen Brothers brought back their awkwardly weird dark humor which always works. To this day, I still stand by Blood Simple being their best film. It was their first film and it was just great to see two independent filmmakers at the birth of their genius. These guys don't make bad films and if you haven't seen Raising Arizona, Fargo, The Big Lebowski or Miller's Crossing, then I have no idea what you are doing.

Now, I know what you are saying. Are the Coen Brothers trying to prove that they are smarter than us and that only smart people can get this type of a film? Not at all! I am not that smart, as you can tell by my writing skills. It is just a different style of comedy and doesn't follow the norm. If you want a perfect example of dark comedy, think of the scene in Pulp Fiction where Marvin gets shot in the face by John Travolta's character. I was laughing so hard when that happened. Is it funny that he was shot? Not really. It is funny because of how the scene is directed and acted. This new Coen Brothers adventure follows that style of comedy exactly and almost to the T if you catch my drift. Burn After Reading stars George Clooney (Out of Sight, O Brother Where Art Thou?), John Malkovich (Being John Malkovich, Con-Air), Brad Pitt (True Romance, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford), Tilda Swinton (Michael Clayton, The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe), Francis McDormand (Blood Simple, Fargo) and Richard Jenkins (The Visitor).

The plot line to this film will sound retarded. I will admit that. Essentially, the movie opens and we meet Osborne Cox (Malkovich) and he quits his job at the CIA after being demoted to a lower security level. His wife Katie (Swinton) wants to leave him for a guy named Harry (Clooney) who works for the Department of Treasury. He wants to leave his wife as well. Essentially, everyone is sleeping with everyone in this film. Because Katie wants to leave him, she gets advice from a lawyer that she should take control of his Osborne's finances so that she doesn't walk away broke. She burns a C.D. of what she thinks is his financial files, but happens to just be a MEM-WAA (memoir) that he is writing. To make a long story short, the C.D. ends up being lost at a gym called Hardbodies, where Linda Litzkie (McDormand) and Chad Feldheimer (Pitt) work. Chad and Linda are two of the dumbest people on the planet and they try to bribe Osborne by asking for money for the disc. I don't want to give too much away but all of the characters are connected in someway and let the stupidity begin. The fact that the movie is just completely dumb is the whole JOKE of the film. What makes this apparent is all of the dialogue that happens between the characters played by JK SIMMONS and DAVID RASHE. That is all I will say.

Overall, the flick is definitely original, nutty, smart and just completely out there. If that is your cup of tea, and it is mine, then you will really enjoy this. Like I said, I think the jokes in the movie will go over a lot of people's heads.

Malkovich stood out the most for me out of all of the actors. Maybe it was the fact that he used an "F" word every five seconds but his mannerisms and facial expressions were so chaotic that you just feel his pain as to how stupid these other characters really are.

Brad Pitt gives one hell of a dumb performance, which kind of reminded of the outlandish performance we received from Tom Cruise in Tropic Thunder. It was a completely different character but I am just comparing the fact that they were so out of their norm. See, the thing that makes Brad Pitt such an amazing actor is the wide variety of the roles he takes. The guy can seriously play anything. He really showed that in this film as well as a little flick called Snatch. He is one of the few actors that is in the news so much but doesn't let that affect him. He really knows how to take his job seriously and it is obvious that he takes all his characters seriously, even if he is playing a DUMB trainer in a gym.

McDormand is to the Coen Brothers what Diane Keaton was to Woody Allen. My roommate pointed out that film had a lot of similarities to Fargo and I couldn't agree more. McDormand's character was just as quirky as her character from Fargo except she didn't have that crazy accent. As always, she pulls off her best quirky role.

For a movie that is so all over the place, it is so well written that the Coen Brothers somehow keep it together and make sure that everything is tied perfectly together. What is funny is that none of it matters because it is all so ridiculous. The movie is DUMB-GENIUS, if that makes sense. I would literally sit there during the movie and say, how the hell did they come up with this? It just seemed so out there but it worked. The flick is a perfect example of a mess that doesn't need to be cleaned up.

THE KEY TO THE MOVIE and I WON'T GIVE ANYTHING AWAY is the end. The last scene really seals the entire film, no pun intended. You will see why. Don't leave before that. I give this film a 4.5 BDK rating because it was great to see more originality this year and it's a movie that was so smart that it was dumb.

(I am having trouble really figuring out why I liked this movie so much. There was just so much going on)
Old 09-12-2008, 04:47 PM   #8
itvnetop
Playmaker

I'm a Coen bros.' fanboy... this flick looks hilarious.
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 06:06 PM   #9
johnerotten

watched a workprint screener of death race yesterday.not a bad flick,but plenty of flying body parts.dark knight & the hulk are great too,and get smart.
johnerotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 08:01 PM   #10
724Skinsfan
Playmaker

Okay, pick my movie for tonight:

Street Kings

or

The Bank Job
Old 09-19-2008, 08:05 PM   #11
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 724Skinsfan View Post
Okay, pick my movie for tonight:

Street Kings

or

The Bank Job

they are both worth a rental but I'd go with the Bank Job first. Street Kings had flashes of what made Training Day so good, but at times fizzled.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:16 PM   #12
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfanthru&thru View Post
they are both worth a rental but I'd go with the Bank Job first. Street Kings had flashes of what made Training Day so good, but at times fizzled.
Street Kings. Stay away from any movie starring Jason Statham, unless it's "Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels" or "Snatch."

Thomas Paine
Old 10-02-2008, 10:54 PM   #13
htownskinfan
JUST LIVIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBurgundy View Post
Street Kings. Stay away from any movie starring Jason Statham, unless it's "Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels" or "Snatch."
some of his movies arent that good,but the ones I've watched I've liked
these are his movies I've enjoyed
The Bank Job
Crank
Revolver
Tansporter 1and 2

also Snatch and LOck stock
Old 10-07-2008, 02:23 PM   #14
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownskinfan View Post
some of his movies arent that good,but the ones I've watched I've liked
these are his movies I've enjoyed
The Bank Job
Crank
Revolver
Tansporter 1and 2

also Snatch and LOck stock
Transporter 2 was a movie made for drinking. Everytime something completely unrealistic happens, take a shot. You'll be pissed in the first 10 minutes.

Thomas Paine
Old 09-24-2008, 11:01 AM   #15
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Anybody hear anything about "Eagle Eye?" It looks like my type of movie, i.e. lots of explosions! Seriously, anyone know if it's supposed to be good?

Thomas Paine