Merged: The Movies Thread

Parking Lot

Old 07-17-2008, 06:28 PM   #346
itvnetop
Playmaker

Re: Merged: The Movies Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 724Skinsfan View Post
I know nobody cares but I'm going to go checkout Mongol tonight.
Mongol was the ish!

Dark Knight is getting serious Oscar buzz if you can believe it. Heath Ledger may get posthumous nominations. One critic put this movie up there with "Heat", "The Departed" and "Untouchables."
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-17-2008, 06:30 PM   #347
itvnetop
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBurgundy View Post
Anybody watch the Day Watch/ Night Watch movies? Am I missing something? I don't see what the big deal was about...
The director is all visuals, imo... he tends to get way too caught up in Russian philosophy that it totally makes the story incoherent.

He directed "Wanted" also.
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:50 AM   #348
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by itvnetop View Post
Mongol was the ish!

Dark Knight is getting serious Oscar buzz if you can believe it. Heath Ledger may get posthumous nominations. One critic put this movie up there with "Heat", "The Departed" and "Untouchables."
The Dark Knight goes up there as one of the best all around films I've seen and is easily the best superhero movie ever. it is a bit lengthy but myself and the thousands of others that went to go see it tonight at my local theater where they had 12 sold out theaters showing the movie, didnt seem to mind one bit cuz it was so well done. This makes Heath Ledgers untimely demise even more tragic as his performance as the Joker was astonishingly perfect with there being a few scenes that captured the characters chaotic state of mind and how easily he can switch from a jokester to a completely menacing sociopath. This movie gets one of the highest recommendations from myself and I cant wait to see it again this weekend. oh and as amazing as Heath Ledger was, I think Aaron Eckhart was a very, very close second with his performance as Harvey Dent. I cant say this enough, go see this movie especially if you want a movie with incredible acting, awesome action sequences, and multiple moments that will put you on the edge of your seat, the dark knight is your huckleberry.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:22 AM   #349
MTK
\m/

The Dark Knight Greeted With Rave Reviews
Old 07-18-2008, 09:59 AM   #350
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfanthru&thru View Post
The Dark Knight goes up there as one of the best all around films I've seen and is easily the best superhero movie ever. it is a bit lengthy but myself and the thousands of others that went to go see it tonight at my local theater where they had 12 sold out theaters showing the movie, didnt seem to mind one bit cuz it was so well done. This makes Heath Ledgers untimely demise even more tragic as his performance as the Joker was astonishingly perfect with there being a few scenes that captured the characters chaotic state of mind and how easily he can switch from a jokester to a completely menacing sociopath. This movie gets one of the highest recommendations from myself and I cant wait to see it again this weekend. oh and as amazing as Heath Ledger was, I think Aaron Eckhart was a very, very close second with his performance as Harvey Dent. I cant say this enough, go see this movie especially if you want a movie with incredible acting, awesome action sequences, and multiple moments that will put you on the edge of your seat, the dark knight is your huckleberry.
I completely agree.

Heath Ledger gave an all time great performance in my opinion. Everything he did, from the way he talked to the way he moved was absolutely chilling. My eyes were as wide as they could get every time he was on the screen, because you never knew what was going to happen next when he was around.
I really don't think the Oscar talk is fluff. He was as good as Javier Bardem (sp?) was in No Country For Old Men last year.

The overall movie was great too. Like skinsfanthru&thru said: a lot of peole might complain that it dragged on a bit too much at the end, which I can understand; but I don't think that took away from the movie. The story was much more realistic than any superhero movie I've ever seen (take that for what it's worth), and the acting was top notch. The opening scene had half the theater clapping for a good 2 minutes. What I loved about the special effects is that I hardly noticed them, unlike the new Indiana Jones movie.

My only complaint is that I went to a midnight showing, got to bed around 3:30 and had to wake up at 7 for work. Now I'm so hopped up on a huge Starbucks frozen coffee that I feel like my heart is going to explode.
Other than that, I seriously want to go see this movie again tonight.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:57 PM   #351
SBprimetime
Special Teams

I agree, I went to see it last night, and I highly recommend everyone go see Batman if you get a chance. Ledger pulled off an amazingly creepy joker (And I think he deserves all the Oscar buzz), and it's not just a great movie based on a comic book, it's just a great movie.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:21 AM   #352
FRPLG
MVP

I am honestly struggling to explain how good Dark Knight was. That's no exageration. Ledger's performance is every bit as good as the buzz...even better. The only neg for the movie was that Ledger was so good that his character dominated the movie and sorta pushed Bale's Batman aside. I loved Batman Begins and I loved this one as much. Honestly this is the best movie and sequel since the Godfather I/II.

SPOiLER SORTA-> The setup for the future is awesome but unfotunately we'll never get anymore Joker/Batman setups. I can't see them ever getting someone else to play this Joker in the future.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 01:38 AM   #353
FRPLG
MVP

Ok this is how good the movie is.

Everyone knows what it feels like when your super stoked to see a big game and when it finally gets here sometimes its as good as you thought and sometimes its not. Well on a rare occasion it's actually better. It's historic. It's seminal. Well this movie is that. I felt like just sitting there in the theatre because I didn't want it to be over. I left feeling like I had just seen something that I can tell my kids someday that I saw on opening day and they'll be in awe. This movie was everything that the new Star Wars movie hype didn't live up to and outshines the efforts of Lord of the Rings by a good country mile.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 08:35 AM   #354
MTK
\m/

I'm going to see it today - can't wait!
Old 07-19-2008, 10:01 AM   #355
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
I am honestly struggling to explain how good Dark Knight was. That's no exageration. Ledger's performance is every bit as good as the buzz...even better. The only neg for the movie was that Ledger was so good that his character dominated the movie and sorta pushed Bale's Batman aside. I loved Batman Begins and I loved this one as much. Honestly this is the best movie and sequel since the Godfather I/II.

SPOiLER SORTA-> The setup for the future is awesome but unfotunately we'll never get anymore Joker/Batman setups. I can't see them ever getting someone else to play this Joker in the future.
Not that Bale wasn't great in this, but he practically deserved third or even fourth billing in this. Ledger and Eckhart just stole the screen throughout the movie, especially towards the end. And I thought Gary Oldman was also a force throughout.

I seriously want to see it again this weekend. Heath Ledger's performance has to go down with Anthony Hopkins in Silence of the Lambs and Javier Bardem in NCFOM.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:08 PM   #356
MTK
\m/

Just got back from seeing the Dark Knight, finally a summer blockbuster that lives up to the hype and then some! Great movie... I loved it.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:00 PM   #357
12thMan
MVP

Ledger lived up to every bit of the hype. In the back of your mind you know that Ledger's untimely death makes his character all the more sinister.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 07:45 PM   #358
MTK
\m/

I kinda felt sad watching Ledger just knowing we'll never get to see how much more he could have done in film. He was really great.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:52 PM   #359
MTK
\m/

What was up with Anthony Michael Hall making an appearance in The Dark Knight??
Old 07-19-2008, 10:18 PM   #360
htownskinfan
JUST LIVIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
What was up with Anthony Michael Hall making an appearance in The Dark Knight??
did he hold up the jokers underwear in the bathroom?
:headbange