Merged: The Movies Thread

Parking Lot

Old 06-09-2008, 10:49 AM   #316
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Re: Getting ready for an awesome year of movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigskinusa.com View Post
Don't waist your time with Hot Fuzz. It's a giant pile of steaming crap.
I could not disagree with you more.
The first time I watched it I thought it was okay, but not that great. Since then I've watched it about 2.5 more times (it was on TV the other night but it was like 2am and I couldn't stay awake) and, like Shaun of the Dead, I think it gets funnier every time I see it because I pick up more subtle jokes.

It's completely different from a lot of comedies that are out now (ie Judd Apatow movies) but I think that it's just as good, if not better. A lot of the Judd Apatow, Frat Pack movies rely on improv and situational humor, which is all well and good; but the Simon Pegg, Edgar White, Nick Frost movies (Shaun and Hot Fuzz) have much smarter writing. The other funny thing about them is that they both sort of work as a horror flick or action/thriller, only they're funny as all hell.

Seriously, if you liked Shaun of the Dead you HAVE to watch Hot Fuzz, maybe more a couple of times.

Advertisements
Old 06-09-2008, 10:59 AM   #317
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Re: Merged: The Movies Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Was Oceans Thirteen better than Twelve?

I just watched Twelve the other night and I really struggled to get through it.
My wife and I saw Twelve in the theater and didn't like it. It's strange for us to be on the exact same page about movies, but for Twelve after we saw it the first time, we were.

However, the more I've watched it, the more I've enjoyed it. You start to understand more of the inside stuff.

Thirteen was likable out of the box for us. Plus Super Dave Osborne is in it...

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:31 AM   #318
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie View Post
My wife and I saw Twelve in the theater and didn't like it. It's strange for us to be on the exact same page about movies, but for Twelve after we saw it the first time, we were.

However, the more I've watched it, the more I've enjoyed it. You start to understand more of the inside stuff.

Thirteen was likable out of the box for us. Plus Super Dave Osborne is in it...
Yeah I can see how seeing it again might make it more enjoyable. It was a bit confusing at times.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:41 PM   #319
Lady Brave
The Starter

I watched Semi-Pro on PPV yesterday. Blah...

At this point, I'm convinced Will Ferrell will never be able to top Anchorman.
Lady Brave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 01:41 PM   #320
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Thirteen can be a bit confusing at first, but it definitely flushes itself out better than Twelve did.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 01:47 PM   #321
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

I haven't seen Thirteen yet but I did see Twelve and Eleven and even though I don't think Twelve is nearly as good as Eleven it still is a pretty good movie. I didn't understand it much the first time I saw it but every time I've seen it I understand it better and so it becomes better.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:56 PM   #322
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Brave View Post
I watched Semi-Pro on PPV yesterday. Blah...

At this point, I'm convinced Will Ferrell will never be able to top Anchorman.
I thought he was good in Talladega Nights..

Anchorman I thought was just.. Odd. I think It's one of those movies you either love or hate.

I think his best movie was Old School.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:12 PM   #323
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
I thought he was good in Talladega Nights..

Anchorman I thought was just.. Odd. I think It's one of those movies you either love or hate.

I think his best movie was Old School.

I don't think Talladega Nights was that good at all. Tbh, one of the worst scenes I've watched in a movie was watching him run around pretend he was on fire for like 10 minutes. I loved Anchorman though and I agree that Old School was probably one of his best movies, I loved that one. He was good in Blades of Glory as well, I thought that was a good movie.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:33 PM   #324
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
I don't think Talladega Nights was that good at all. Tbh, one of the worst scenes I've watched in a movie was watching him run around pretend he was on fire for like 10 minutes. I loved Anchorman though and I agree that Old School was probably one of his best movies, I loved that one. He was good in Blades of Glory as well, I thought that was a good movie.
I can't help but ask...

What's THE worst scene you've ever seen in a movie?

Old 06-09-2008, 02:43 PM   #325
MTK
\m/

I loved Will Ferrell on SNL but I've yet to see a movie of his that I really liked. He was good in Old School only because he didn't have a huge role, I guess I just like him in small doses.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:01 PM   #326
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
I can't help but ask...

What's THE worst scene you've ever seen in a movie?
That's actually a hard question. Undoubtedly I've seen a lot of scenes where I didn't like at all, but I usually forget them once the movie is over lol. But that scene with Will Ferrell running around screaming and rolling on the ground "ahhhh I'm on fire" for 10 minutes straight and there's no fire to speak of, well that just stood out to me because I felt like it was one of the most immature scenes I've watched and it wasn't funny at all.

I mean maybe if the scene was like 20 seconds long and he rolled around once or twice and then after that it stopped perhaps it wouldn't have been so bad, but the damn thing was wayyyyyyyyyyyy too damn long and it wasn't even remotely funny. Coming from me that's kinda big, because I'm immature to an extent and I like a lot of childish movies and things like that, movies that sophisticated society would look at and say, what childish rubble, or something. There's a lot of stuff that I can put up with.But god I hate that scene lol.

I guess it would be good to say that that scene is probably the worst scene I've ever watched, since it's the only one I can remember at the moment for being so shitty.

Last edited by mooby; 06-09-2008 at 05:04 PM.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 03:29 AM   #327
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Sigh.

I saw The Happening and I can't say I was anything but sorely disappointed. Not as disappointed as I was with The Strangers though.

I'm practically as liberal as it gets, but I'm tired of Hollywood throwing hippy BS at me in their movies, especially when it's marketed as NOT having anything that could be construed as "preachy".

M Night Shamalamabanarama I think has fallen completely into the deep end.

The Sixth Sense - Great
Signs - Another good one
The Village - Not as good
Lady in The Water - ???
The Happening -

On a better note, I thought Marky Mark did a decent job of acting. I also liked that Zoey whoever chick who was played his wife.

This had the potential to be SUCH a good movie being that it was R rated. But instead it was just a steaming pile. Talk about an anti-climatic ending. I thought M. Night was known for having all these crazy twists? But this wasn't a twist, it was just frustratingly weird. The best part of the movie was trying to figure out why people would just willingly kill themselves. As soon as we figured out found out why, I immediately stopped caring because I couldn't find that shit plausible. (Maybe it is?)

Otherwise, I didn't really get anything out of this movie.

Old 06-14-2008, 03:58 AM   #328
Redskin
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Sigh.

I saw The Happening and I can't say I was anything but sorely disappointed. Not as disappointed as I was with The Strangers though.

I'm practically as liberal as it gets, but I'm tired of Hollywood throwing hippy BS at me in their movies, especially when it's marketed as NOT having anything that could be construed as "preachy".

M Night Shamalamabanarama I think has fallen completely into the deep end.

The Sixth Sense - Great
Signs - Another good one
The Village - Not as good
Lady in The Water - ???
The Happening -

On a better note, I thought Marky Mark did a decent job of acting. I also liked that Zoey whoever chick who was played his wife.

This had the potential to be SUCH a good movie being that it was R rated. But instead it was just a steaming pile. Talk about an anti-climatic ending. I thought M. Night was known for having all these crazy twists? But this wasn't a twist, it was just frustratingly weird. The best part of the movie was trying to figure out why people would just willingly kill themselves. As soon as we figured out found out why, I immediately stopped caring because I couldn't find that shit plausible. (Maybe it is?)

Otherwise, I didn't really get anything out of this movie.
No twist in a Night movie, is it even worth watching then. The twists are what made it good, I mean bruce willis a ghost!!
#21#RIP Sean Taylor a TRUE Redskin#21#
<--Hey wheres my green approval rating?
Redskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 06:08 AM   #329
itvnetop
Playmaker

What "happened" is I was duped into believing M. Night could actually resurrect himself after that steaming pile of Lady in the Water. And the clean sweep of the 2008 Razzies goes to... worst script, worst acting, worst premise, worst decision to green light said script, worst decision to let this guy keep working in movies. The only Razzie not received by this film goes to me... for actually seeing it.
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 09:27 PM   #330
htownskinfan
JUST LIVIN

I also liked that Zoey whoever chick who was played his wife.

yeah,I like her too,speaking of Will Ferrell,the first time I saw her was in Elf,and i just found out this morning her sister is the star of the fox show "Bones"