Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Redskins at Bears Post Game Thoughts

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-22-2012, 10:34 PM   #301
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

When u have a top ten LT the oline can't be that horrendous can it?

Advertisements
Old 08-22-2012, 10:44 PM   #302
artmonkforhallofamein07
Pro Bowl

Re: Redskins at Bears Post Game Thoughts

I think when the games start meaning something we will see better results. We have no idea what the game plans are or if there are some things we can do with game planning and qb play to hind some of the flaws on our oline.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:54 PM   #303
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
To me its important to understand what we're looking at when we have discussion of film/tape.

In the instant of the 1st screen cap Griff is read to throw, he's reached the top of his drop, but he can't throw it to Davis at that time because Davis has yet to cross the face of the LB and therefore Davis at that exact moment is not open.

In order to throw to Moss, Griff has to come off water previous read he was on then moves on to Tana.
At this point the LBs that were previously reading/keying on Davis and Griffin are now reacting to Griffin's arm as he prepares to release of the ball.

Its at this point that the LBs drop off their coverage from Davis and get ready to follow the ball.
That is what makes Davis look wide open while the ball is in air on the way towards Moss.
Im not saying davis was wide open. I am saying that because this is a preseason game that means nothing RG3 was going to air it out the entire time. Im not debating your take on the linebackers. If this were a meaningful game and we needed the first down Griffin could have and hopefully would have fit that ball in there to Davis. Fit it in - i said this before- i am agreeing with you that DAVIS WAS NOt WIDE OPEN. Again because this is preseason and the game means nothing it is hard to break down plays. Why? Because as others have stated shanny and the staff might be keying on a completely different aspect of our offense. If this were a real game we could be sure that RG 3 and the staff would have had one thing on their mind during said play - moving the chains. In this case however i really feel that rg3 was just airing it out from the minute he snapped the ball.
So maybe to make you understand my point i will pose you this question. What if this were a regular season game and we were in dire need of a first down on this play - does rg-3 wait for davis to take a couple steps and squeeze the ball in tight coverage giving davis s chance to lunge for the first? Does he try and run for the first? Or does he air it out into double coverage?
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:15 AM   #304
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by artmonkforhallofamein07 View Post
I think when the games start meaning something we will see better results. We have no idea what the game plans are or if there are some things we can do with game planning and qb play to hind some of the flaws on our oline.
Exactly. Its amazing how for years we know and see that the only thing for sure about a preseason game is that the final score is meaningless. Pre season records and regular season records never match up, yet people want to take such stock in the play. All they are is glorified scrimmages where coaches and players get to try things at game speed. I take zero stock in it. I want them to stay healthy and build confidence. I think you are absolutely rite. Wait until they mean something than well see what we got with rg3 and this team.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:16 AM   #305
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
In this case however i really feel that rg3 was just airing it out from the minute he snapped the ball.
So maybe to make you understand my point i will pose you this question. What if this were a regular season game and we were in dire need of a first down on this play - does rg-3 wait for davis to take a couple steps and squeeze the ball in tight coverage giving davis s chance to lunge for the first? Does he try and run for the first? Or does he air it out into double coverage?
I get what you are saying about Griff just wanting to air it out, I just don't agree *shrugs*.
Its okay that we have different takes on that play, its all healthy discussion.

In a real game? Imo I don't think he throws it Davis because the LBs are looking right at Griff and Davis. So if Griff continues to look and wait while for Davis to cross the face of the MLB the MLB is going to run with Davis and make sure Davis does not get across his face and the other LB is probably gonna beat feet and try to close the distance in a trail position. Zones defenders are often taught to spot drop to depth (often they drop back the same number of steps as the QB) then pattern read and let the QBs eyes take them to the play.
That's why zone works well against rookie QBs because they tend to eye ball their first read.

Like the other poster said I trust what Griff saw on that play.

To answers the rest of your question under ideal circumstances Griffin (a) makes a better throw to Moss (b) scrambles for the 1st or scrambles to make a play (c) pulls a savvy vet move and pump fakes to Moss thus freezing or wrong footing the LBs then throws it to a Davis who is now actually wide open

Last edited by 30gut; 08-23-2012 at 06:22 AM.
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:53 AM   #306
Monksdown
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
When u have a top ten LT the oline can't be that horrendous can it?
20% of the O-Line is in the top 10. The other 80% would struggle to start on other teams.
Monksdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:22 AM   #307
Jayroc24
Special Teams

Didn't want to start a new thread for this question.... Has anyone heard if they are going to move Crawford up and let him play against the first team? Might be a question for SS or Matty??
Jayroc24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:51 AM   #308
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayroc24 View Post
Didn't want to start a new thread for this question.... Has anyone heard if they are going to move Crawford up and let him play against the first team? Might be a question for SS or Matty??
No plans at the moment that I know of
Old 08-23-2012, 08:51 AM   #309
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayroc24 View Post
I would love to see what he could do against first teamers! He's played very well during the preseason!
Old 08-23-2012, 10:46 AM   #310
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Any word on the starting OL?
Is Chester set to play/start?
Is Polumbus still pencilled in at RT?

Is Royster gonna start and play starter minutes or is he gonna rotate with Morris?
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:07 AM   #311
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Any word on the starting OL?
Is Chester set to play/start?
Is Polumbus still pencilled in at RT?

Is Royster gonna start and play starter minutes or is he gonna rotate with Morris?
You mean this weekend I assume.

Yes on Chester
Think so on Polumbus, though not sure
No decision yet on Morris/Royster, but ER probably starts Saturday since he's likely the starter on opening day
Old 08-23-2012, 11:25 AM   #312
RGIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
You mean this weekend I assume.

Yes on Chester
Think so on Polumbus, though not sure
No decision yet on Morris/Royster, but ER probably starts Saturday since he's likely the starter on opening day
Royster by default IMO.
RGIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:19 PM   #313
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
I get what you are saying about Griff just wanting to air it out, I just don't agree *shrugs*.
Its okay that we have different takes on that play, its all healthy discussion.

In a real game? Imo I don't think he throws it Davis because the LBs are looking right at Griff and Davis. So if Griff continues to look and wait while for Davis to cross the face of the MLB the MLB is going to run with Davis and make sure Davis does not get across his face and the other LB is probably gonna beat feet and try to close the distance in a trail position. Zones defenders are often taught to spot drop to depth (often they drop back the same number of steps as the QB) then pattern read and let the QBs eyes take them to the play.
That's why zone works well against rookie QBs because they tend to eye ball their first read.

Like the other poster said I trust what Griff saw on that play.

To answers the rest of your question under ideal circumstances Griffin (a) makes a better throw to Moss (b) scrambles for the 1st or scrambles to make a play (c) pulls a savvy vet move and pump fakes to Moss thus freezing or wrong footing the LBs then throws it to a Davis who is now actually wide open
I hear that. We can agree he has to make a better throw to Moss no matter what his intentions were. One thing i will say is i dont think Griffin is your typical rookie qb. Hell campbell used to stare his receiver down well past his rookie year. Lol.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:21 PM   #314
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGIII View Post
Royster by default IMO.
Not really, Shanny really likes him.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:36 PM   #315
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Shanny now says Royster out Saturday (tweaked his knee), Hightower will play some. Helu is still out