Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Redskins at Bears Post Game Thoughts

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-21-2012, 10:31 PM   #286
30gut
Playmaker

Re: Redskins at Bears Post Game Thoughts

Notice how the LBs have full view of both Davis and Griffin?
At this exact moment in time Davis is not 'wide open' because there are 2 defenders looking at Davis and Griffin:

Notice that Griffin is already set to throw/already begun his throwing motion with the ball cocked back its only then that the LBs begin slough off Davis and react to the ball in flight:

By the time the ball is in the air the linebackers have already negun to slough off.
By the time the ball reaches Moss, of course Davis appears wide open.

Last edited by 30gut; 08-21-2012 at 10:39 PM.
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-21-2012, 10:46 PM   #287
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

it appears as though he could have hit Davis for the first down, instead he went deep to Moss - but honestly - who really cares it is preseason and he is learning - I threw up in my mouth alittle about the insignificance of it all - lol

We dont know what the playcall was, or what is going through these guys heads in a preseason game. Something tells me that if this was a regular season game and we needed that first down badly, that he would have slinged it to Davis and done the smart thing.

Last edited by punch it in; 08-21-2012 at 10:54 PM.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:30 AM   #288
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
it appears as though he could have hit Davis for the first down, instead he went deep to Moss - but honestly - who really cares it is preseason and he is learning - I threw up in my mouth alittle about the insignificance of it all - lol

We dont know what the playcall was, or what is going through these guys heads in a preseason game. Something tells me that if this was a regular season game and we needed that first down badly, that he would have slinged it to Davis and done the smart thing.
Word to this. Or RGIII may have not seen Davis altogether and scampered for the 1st down himself. Definitely hope he minimizes contact but I think we have to accept RGIII will use his legs to escape the pressure and possibly miss the open receiver from time to time. I hope his teammates are patient through the process of him adjusting to pro football.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:07 AM   #289
imaskin4life
Special Teams

To me Royster out of the backfield was a better option than Davis (if Davis can put a hat on the LB in front of him) BUT there was a window to complete the deeper route to Moss (higher progression than both) if the ball was thrown correctly. The bottom line is that RG3 thought he could fit the ball into Moss. If the coverage was tighter then he would have believed that it was too risky to complete it and checked down to Davis or Royster. I trust what he saw there.

If you believe option #1 (Moss) is open then you don't say "let me see if option 2 (Davis) or #3 (Royster) is MORE open." You throw it to option #1. He believed he could complete it. I also believe it was a pass that he could have completed - it was just a bad throw. In fact I think he did complete one to Moss in that area (I don't think Moss liked it very much because he was slow to get up lol).

Last edited by imaskin4life; 08-22-2012 at 01:34 AM.
imaskin4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:47 AM   #290
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
it appears as though he could have hit Davis for the first down, instead he went deep to Moss
I have a couple of questions:

I'm just curious if you see the LBs in the first screen cap?

If you do see the LBs in the first screen cap can you see that the linebackers have a clear view of both Davis and Griffin?

Do you also see that Davis is running about 1-1.5 short and parrallel to the 1st down line?

Since the LBs can clearly see Davis/Griffin don't you think they will react to the ball as Griffin starts to throw it to Davis?

Quote:
- but honestly - who really cares it is preseason and he is learning - I threw up in my mouth alittle about the insignificance of it all - lol
I don't get it.
If its so gross to you to have this football discussion don't join.
I mean, its kinda hypocritical to join in the discussion then belly ache about it.
And its not insignificant to discuss football and share view points and try to reach a more true/accurate understanding of what we see.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:53 AM   #291
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaskin4life View Post
...I trust what he saw there.
+1

Quote:
If you believe option #1 (Moss) is open then you don't say "let me see if option 2 (Davis) or #3 (Royster) is MORE open." You throw it to option #1. He believed he could complete it. I also believe it was a pass that he could have completed - it was just a bad throw. In fact I think he did complete one to Moss in that area (I don't think Moss liked it very much because he was slow to get up lol).
Earlier in the game in a similar route combo, he does fit a tight ball to Moss on that post route.

I believe that Davis could have been part of the early progression, but at the top of his drop Davis has not completely crossed the face/cleared the LBs yet.
So Griffin comes off that read and moves on to Moss.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:11 AM   #292
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Cooley misread the defense on sack/fumble vs. Bears - Washington Times
Old 08-22-2012, 03:51 PM   #293
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrMitchell View Post
Taken out of context.

But whatever, let's just agree that Skip is irrelevant and essentially an ESPN troll.
Deal.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:56 PM   #294
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
Word to this. Or RGIII may have not seen Davis altogether and scampered for the 1st down himself. Definitely hope he minimizes contact but I think we have to accept RGIII will use his legs to escape the pressure and possibly miss the open receiver from time to time. I hope his teammates are patient through the process of him adjusting to pro football.
Yes. I was thinking scramble also. That would be a real speed test. Those lb's look like they were thinking the same thing. Thats a great thing about rg3. Lb's will alwAys be wondering if he is going to take off. God - have we ever had a qb that is going to make defenses so strung out??? Is he going to run or is he going to throw and if he throws is it going to be deep? He does it all well and all three decisions have to be respected!!!!
Old 08-22-2012, 04:09 PM   #295
MTK
\m/

I finally got to catch the game last night and it wasn't nearly the disaster that the media made it out to be as far as RG3's play. He was under some pressure but I thought he also made some nice plays too. The connection to Moss was really nice. I think Paul should have had that one drop where RG3 rolled out and the throw was a little behind him. It was still a catchable ball. Paul always seems a little stiff when it comes to his hands.

That's what I hate about these preseason games. It's such a limited look, and people tend to blow it up into something it's not.

Back on why RG3's attempts have been so low, I found myself wondering last night if perhaps Shanahan is more concerned with evaluating the running game right now. Couple that with probably not wanting to expose Griffin too much behind a patchwork line. Just a thought.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:11 PM   #296
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
I have a couple of questions:

I'm just curious if you see the LBs in the first screen cap?

If you do see the LBs in the first screen cap can you see that the linebackers have a clear view of both Davis and Griffin?

Do you also see that Davis is running about 1-1.5 short and parrallel to the 1st down line?

Since the LBs can clearly see Davis/Griffin don't you think they will react to the ball as Griffin starts to throw it to Davis?

I don't get it.
If its so gross to you to have this football discussion don't join.
I mean, its kinda hypocritical to join in the discussion then belly ache about it.
And its not insignificant to discuss football and share view points and try to reach a more true/accurate understanding of what we see.
My comments were directed at the play in question - not your discussing it. Its one play which meant nothing in a game that means nothing. I dont believe that Rg3 is in the same mindset he will be in when the games count. I was reading your and goats posts back and forth and trying to decide who was rite. It than dawned on me that due to the circumstances of the play that even rg3 himself was probably going deep just to go deep. If you read my post again i point that out. If it was reg season and we needed a first down he would probably scramble or sling it to davis. I left ES because people would attack you for your thoughts so trust me that was not my intention. I think its a great play to wonder and chat about but when i really thought about it there was no good answer because i dont think your seeing the same rg3 you would see in a real game. Hence my comment who cares - its insugnificant - again the play not the discussion of the play.

As per the question of him slinging it to davis. I believe that if davis doesnt break stride and rg3 puts zip on that ball that he can catch it and fall forward for the first.

Last edited by punch it in; 08-22-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:31 PM   #297
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Back on why RG3's attempts have been so low, I found myself wondering last night if perhaps Shanahan is more concerned with evaluating the running game right now. Couple that with probably not wanting to expose Griffin too much behind a patchwork line. Just a thought.
I think so. Shanny is testing the right side of he line in particular when it comes to run blocking. First play of the game we ran left and Morris piled up early yards with good blocking. The right side struggled though and Shanny went there again and again to get those guys reps. Smart coaching.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:03 PM   #298
44Deezel
The Starter

You mean it wasn't our awful, worst of all time Offensive Line? Whew, that's a relief. Maybe they can block after all.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:07 PM   #299
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
As per the question of him slinging it to davis. I believe that if davis doesnt break stride and rg3 puts zip on that ball that he can catch it and fall forward for the first.
To me its important to understand what we're looking at when we have discussion of film/tape.

In the instant of the 1st screen cap Griff is read to throw, he's reached the top of his drop, but he can't throw it to Davis at that time because Davis has yet to cross the face of the LB and therefore Davis at that exact moment is not open.

In order to throw to Moss, Griff has to come off water previous read he was on then moves on to Tana.
At this point the LBs that were previously reading/keying on Davis and Griffin are now reacting to Griffin's arm as he prepares to release of the ball.

Its at this point that the LBs drop off their coverage from Davis and get ready to follow the ball.
That is what makes Davis look wide open while the ball is in air on the way towards Moss.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:30 PM   #300
artmonkforhallofamein07
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I finally got to catch the game last night and it wasn't nearly the disaster that the media made it out to be as far as RG3's play. He was under some pressure but I thought he also made some nice plays too. The connection to Moss was really nice. I think Paul should have had that one drop where RG3 rolled out and the throw was a little behind him. It was still a catchable ball. Paul always seems a little stiff when it comes to his hands.

That's what I hate about these preseason games. It's such a limited look, and people tend to blow it up into something it's not.

I watched the game on Sunday night for the first time after reading all the articles and a few posts here, and that is exactly how I felt about the game.