Debating with the enemy

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 04:39 PM   #286
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Re: What's up with the cops these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Thanks, G1. This helps explain your previous posts. I think this picture fits you better than RR's similar description.

Last edited by HailGreen28; 03-01-2014 at 04:58 PM.

Advertisements
Old 03-01-2014, 05:51 PM   #287
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

To suggest that 'people are thinking about you' when you're responding to one of their posts is hubris of the highest magnitude.

Dude has issues, we should probably be nicer to him.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:52 PM   #288
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

School Police Covering Up Abuse of Youth - Santa Ana CA
Old 03-02-2014, 02:23 PM   #289
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Chicago PD Believes It Can See The Future, Starts Warning Citizens About Crimes They Might Commit

We've talked a lot over the years about the attempts to get out "ahead of crime" by using computer programs and algorithms to try and predict who might commit a crime. Predictive computing can then either target specific areas or specific people that might be in need of some extra law enforcement attention. Except as we've noted repeatedly, these programs are only as valuable as the data they use. Garbage in, garbage out, but in this case you've got a human being on the other end of the equation whose life can be dramatically impacted by law enforcement holding what they believe is "proof" that you'll soon be up to no good.

With that in mind there's growing concerns about efforts in Chicago to use predictive analytical systems to generate a "heat list" -- or a list of 400 or so individuals most likely to be involved in violent crime. The Chicago efforts are based on a Yale sociologist's studies and use an algorithm created by an engineer at the Illinois Institute of Technology. People who find themselves on the list get personal visits from law enforcement warning them that they better be nice. The result is a collision between law enforcement that believes in the righteousness of these efforts and those who worry that they could, as an EFF rep states, create "an environment where police can show up at anyone's door at any time for any reason."
Old 03-02-2014, 08:40 PM   #290
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinRat View Post
Chicago PD Believes It Can See The Future, Starts Warning Citizens About Crimes They Might Commit

We've talked a lot over the years about the attempts to get out "ahead of crime" by using computer programs and algorithms to try and predict who might commit a crime. Predictive computing can then either target specific areas or specific people that might be in need of some extra law enforcement attention. Except as we've noted repeatedly, these programs are only as valuable as the data they use. Garbage in, garbage out, but in this case you've got a human being on the other end of the equation whose life can be dramatically impacted by law enforcement holding what they believe is "proof" that you'll soon be up to no good.

With that in mind there's growing concerns about efforts in Chicago to use predictive analytical systems to generate a "heat list" -- or a list of 400 or so individuals most likely to be involved in violent crime. The Chicago efforts are based on a Yale sociologist's studies and use an algorithm created by an engineer at the Illinois Institute of Technology. People who find themselves on the list get personal visits from law enforcement warning them that they better be nice. The result is a collision between law enforcement that believes in the righteousness of these efforts and those who worry that they could, as an EFF rep states, create "an environment where police can show up at anyone's door at any time for any reason."
LOL, after the gun bans there, and resulting increased crime, they think science fiction is the next best answer?
Old 03-03-2014, 01:08 PM   #291
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinRat View Post
To suggest that 'people are thinking about you' when you're responding to one of their posts is hubris of the highest magnitude.
All facts to the contrary ,
Old 03-03-2014, 01:10 PM   #292
Giantone
Gamebreaker

[QUOTE=Monkeydad;1060890]I found it hilarious. Who knew G1 was a big Glenn Beck fan?

[QUOTE]

...as much as you are a John Mara fan .
Old 03-14-2014, 07:52 AM   #293
mlmdub130
Playmaker

The definition of a trigger happy cop. The cop shot what sounds like 3 shots very quickly w/o aiming, luckily missing his wife in the cab of the truck. Then aimed and fired two shots at the old man who is at this point cowering away from the cop. Thank god no one died. Apparently the officers shooting appears to be justified, according to the departments initial reaction.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014...biggest-shock/

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014...biggest-shock/

ST21
Old 03-14-2014, 11:35 AM   #294
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmdub130 View Post
The definition of a trigger happy cop. The cop shot what sounds like 3 shots very quickly w/o aiming, luckily missing his wife in the cab of the truck. Then aimed and fired two shots at the old man who is at this point cowering away from the cop. Thank god no one died. Apparently the officers shooting appears to be justified, according to the departments initial reaction.

Dashcam Shows Deputy Shooting 70-Year-Old Man at Traffic Stop — But What Cop Did Next Might Be the Biggest Shock | Video | TheBlaze.com

Dashcam Shows Deputy Shooting 70-Year-Old Man at Traffic Stop — But What Cop Did Next Might Be the Biggest Shock | Video | TheBlaze.com
You don't get out of your vehicle unless directed by the officer. I have no issues with this situation. What the hell was that old man thinking?
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
Old 03-14-2014, 12:38 PM   #295
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

I would worry about a police officer who can't distinguish a cane from a shitgun 35 ft awayfrom him. I think he was negligent but it was truly an accident

He Gets Us
Old 03-14-2014, 01:10 PM   #296
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmdub130 View Post

tragic but I don't see this as the definition of a trigger happy cop. You step out of the car, AND pull something from an obscured view after a cop pulls you over. Simply not smart.

I also question your statement about the shots being fired without aiming. Not sure how you can possibly know that, and it would shock me if he didn't. No point in firing a gun, unless you know what you plan to hit.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:09 AM   #297
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

NYPD Officer Claims Boss Sexually Harassed Her & Called Her His "Work P---y": Gothamist

She'll win the suit, cost taxpayers lots of money, and the officer will get a slap on the hand and allowed to keep his job. Usually how it goes.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
Old 03-17-2014, 11:10 AM   #298
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
I would worry about a police officer who can't distinguish a cane from a shitgun 35 ft awayfrom him. I think he was negligent but it was truly an accident
I would not call him negligent (And as a rule I don't like cops) off of that dash cam video. The thing is dash cam videos provide a 9 inch 1965 black and white TV view. With that in mind the cane looked similar to the extra long barrel of one of those guns they used for so called "turkey shooting". Problem is the officer sees in color with the clear picture of a 65" 21st century flat screen. We don't know what color the cane was and "cane guns" actually were manufactured in the country from the mid 1800's through the 1930's. Obviously if the cane was wood colored it could not be a dangerous weapon. Unless I saw what happened through the cops eyes I could not deem him negligent and 100% positive this was nothing more than an accident

I think a what to do question if stopped by a cop should be on every driver's test and taught in driver's ed, over and over again. We have checkpoints here
in Caroline County Virginia, even in very rural areas (Like I live in a communist country). Whenever stopped I leave my hands on the steering wheel and don't even breathe unless instructed to.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:07 PM   #299
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Those bastards...

Photo of toddler in toy convertible getting ticket from cops goes viral - TODAY.com

better link .

TRENDING: Police ticket toddler in toy car
Old 03-18-2014, 01:56 PM   #300
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
tragic but I don't see this as the definition of a trigger happy cop. You step out of the car, AND pull something from an obscured view after a cop pulls you over. Simply not smart.

I also question your statement about the shots being fired without aiming. Not sure how you can possibly know that, and it would shock me if he didn't. No point in firing a gun, unless you know what you plan to hit.
The old man gettin out of the truck is inexcusable on the old mans part. This day and age you just sit in the car w the window down and your hands in plain sight, anything else and you are asking for trouble.

However my definition of a trigger happy cop might be a little different than yours. IMO a trigger happy cop is some one who panics in fear and immediately steps to deadly force. Not necessarily someone who is playing cowboy and can't wait to show his force, although that type is equally as bad.

And as for him not aiming, it is just an assumption on my part, but if I remember when the first group of shots were fired it appeared as if they hit the top of the cab of the truck. From 30 some feet away w a 9mm it is inexcusable to be that off with your aim. It appeared like he regrouped after those first 3 shots and fired another 2 which appeared to strike the old man. All the while without ever identifying what the old man was carrying.

To me cops should be held to a higher standard and should be able to show more restraint. I just feel that the gun was fired too early and if the officer had followed all training and protocol there wouldn't have been an issue. If its me and I see someone getting out of the car, I wait behind my door until everything is in plain sight and I have complete control of the situation.

ST21
Closed Thread