Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

What Constitutes a Racist Remark?

Parking Lot

Old 06-19-2013, 12:40 PM   #16
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Re: What Constitutes a Racist Remark?

I didn't find it insensitive or racist, oddly enough.

But to be fair, that area belonged to Mexico first and many Hispanics have been in the southwest long before the Europeans settlers came around.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-21-2013, 07:27 PM   #17
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Paula Deen Dumped by Food Network After N-Word Admission - chicagotribune.com

I would LOVE to hear peoples opinions on this. So I guess we no longer can have freedom of speech or express our opinions in our homes? Thoughts?
Old 06-21-2013, 08:06 PM   #18
itvnetop
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post

I would LOVE to hear peoples opinions on this. So I guess we no longer can have freedom of speech or express our opinions in our homes? Thoughts?
"She accused Deen of using the N word as recently as in 2007, while discussing an idea for a 'plantation'-style wedding."

Is it just me or are we focusing on the lesser thing here... a what style wedding??

my blather
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:16 PM   #19
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by itvnetop View Post
"She accused Deen of using the N word as recently as in 2007, while discussing an idea for a 'plantation'-style wedding."

Is it just me or are we focusing on the lesser thing here... a what style wedding??
The news tonight has kept bringing up how in court they asked her if she used the N word before. And her response was along the lines of "oh sure, of course I have. In my own home...like the time I had a black man put a gun to my head and I told that story to my husband"

I'm surprised the news outlets I saw tonight (NBC local, NBC nightly news, Access Hollywood) didn't bring up her plantation style wedding comment. That was public, so that makes more sense to fire her than what she said in her own home.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:20 PM   #20
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post

Are you kidding me? It wasn't a personal conversation between her and someone else in her home, this was an idea she openly expressed, obviously around co-workers which is why an employee was the one who pressed charges.

Freedom of speech in your own home is your own business, but from the accounts I've read she made no qualms about openly using the N-word. Hell, the woman admitted that she used it.

And when asked if she wanted black men to play the role of slaves at a wedding she explained she got the idea from a restaurant her husband and her had dined at saying, “The whole entire waiter staff was middle-aged black men, and they had on beautiful white jackets with a black bow tie.
“I mean, it was really impressive. That restaurant represented a certain era in America … after the Civil War, during the Civil War, before the Civil War…It was not only black men, it was black women … I would say they were slaves.

This sounds like a woman who is unabashedly, unapologetically racist and hides behind her Southern roots as the cause.

You Southern a-holes lost the war. Time to move on.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:22 AM   #21
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

This after her whole "diabetes" scandal. I think the final nail in the coffin for Paula was her "apology" For something like this, you don't post an obviously edited, unlisted, private 45 second YouTube video and consider that an apology
Old 06-22-2013, 08:41 AM   #22
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
This after her whole "diabetes" scandal. I think the final nail in the coffin for Paula was her "apology" For something like this, you don't post an obviously edited, unlisted, private 45 second YouTube video and consider that an apology
Totally half assed apology. If she had come clean and been genuine about it people may have cut her some slack.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:23 AM   #23
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
Are you kidding me? It wasn't a personal conversation between her and someone else in her home, this was an idea she openly expressed, obviously around co-workers which is why an employee was the one who pressed charges.

Freedom of speech in your own home is your own business, but from the accounts I've read she made no qualms about openly using the N-word. Hell, the woman admitted that she used it.

And when asked if she wanted black men to play the role of slaves at a wedding she explained she got the idea from a restaurant her husband and her had dined at saying, “The whole entire waiter staff was middle-aged black men, and they had on beautiful white jackets with a black bow tie.
“I mean, it was really impressive. That restaurant represented a certain era in America … after the Civil War, during the Civil War, before the Civil War…It was not only black men, it was black women … I would say they were slaves.

This sounds like a woman who is unabashedly, unapologetically racist and hides behind her Southern roots as the cause.

3 News outlets I watched yesterday (NBC local, Nightly, and Access Hollywood) were all set on the whole she used the N-Word and it came across when she was asked in court if she used the N-Word. She was being honest in court and said that she has in her own home. NOW I've seen other outlets and internet sources saying what you said above. Thats different, and you are right, therefore this argument is over.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #24
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:

The n word of course is horrible in itself, but this type of thinking of just seeing a black waiter is just so disgusting and offensive she should never be on tv again. This type of thinking is why most young, open-minded southerners cant wait for the greatest generation and their children to die off. The thought of a that being a great idea is hurtful to my community, co workers and friends.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:05 PM   #25
SirLK26
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
The n word of course is horrible in itself, but this type of thinking of just seeing a black waiter is just so disgusting and offensive she should never be on tv again. This type of thinking is why most young, open-minded southerners cant wait for the greatest generation and their children to die off. The thought of a that being a great idea is hurtful to my community, co workers and friends.
I agree with this 100%.

And D-Rave, I'm assuming your comment about Southern a-holes is directed at Paula Deen and other outspoken racists, not the South in general. In Chico's words:
Quote:
This type of thinking is why most young, open-minded southerners cant wait for the greatest generation and their children to die off. The thought of a that being a great idea is hurtful to my community, co workers and friends.
SirLK26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:04 PM   #26
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLK26 View Post
I agree with this 100%.

And D-Rave, I'm assuming your comment about Southern a-holes is directed at Paula Deen and other outspoken racists, not the South in general. In Chico's words:
Yeah. I've spent time in the south (hell, my entire family is Southern, I'm only the second generation not having been born and raised there) and it's a beautiful place with some wonderful people.

Then there are people like this...

Old 06-22-2013, 02:17 PM   #27
SirLK26
The Starter

Quote:
Yeah. I've spent time in the south (hell, my entire family is Southern, I'm only the second generation not having been born and raised there) and it's a beautiful place with some wonderful people.

Then there are people like this...
And people like this...

Racist Kennesaw, Ga. Shop Owner Embraced By Community | Southern Poverty Law Center

Why "people" like this are even allowed to mingle with normal human beings is beyond me. The guy needs to shipped off to a different planet.
SirLK26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:30 PM   #28
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
I didn't find it insensitive or racist, oddly enough.

But to be fair, that area belonged to Mexico first and many Hispanics have been in the southwest long before the Europeans settlers came around.
Ummm ... the Hispanics were there before the Europeans? Okay ... carefully reread that and see if you can spot the error. [Hint: What language do they speak on the Iberian Peninsula?]
Old 06-22-2013, 08:13 PM   #29
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Ummm ... the Hispanics were there before the Europeans? Okay ... carefully reread that and see if you can spot the error. [Hint: What language do they speak on the Iberian Peninsula?]
If I need to be more clear then the dark skinned people were there before the light skinned, blonde haired blue eyed people.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:00 PM   #30
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

The Paula Deen Deposition Is Even Worse Than You Thought