Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Need Help Purchasing A Laptop

Parking Lot

Old 05-07-2013, 02:27 PM   #16
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Re: Need Help Purchasing A Laptop

Consider looking at Chrome books if you're just looking for a webbrowsing box. It isn't as robust as Windows, but they're cheap and effecient for browsing.

Newegg.com - FOR EVERYONE

Advertisements
Old 05-07-2013, 03:35 PM   #17
firstdown
Living Legend

My wife uses people pc and has an email account through them. If I'm correct that's a web based and all she need to see her email is accesss to the internet.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:27 PM   #18
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
Consider looking at Chrome books if you're just looking for a webbrowsing box. It isn't as robust as Windows, but they're cheap and effecient for browsing.

Newegg.com - FOR EVERYONE
heard great things about chrome books. sounds like a good thing for someone who just to surf and doesn't want to deal with computer issues.
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:41 PM   #19
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

As always it just depends on what you need it for. If you're looking for a cheap laptop for internet browsing, well virtually anything new even in the $350 range is likely going to make you happy.

HP has plenty of laptops in said range
Pavilion Laptops | HP® Official Store

I feel like right now HP has the best combination of price and performance. They remind me a bit of Dell when Dell was in their glory days (think Stoner Steve). The main problem that myself and other people have with their computers is bloatware. Also I think like virtually every other computer manufacturer they have a call center in India depending on the time you use support. However I have never had to use them.

Heck I have a store bought HP from 2008 that I'm just running into the ground without mercy (virtually on 24/7) playing movies and/or music all day. It's only issue is the battery life is around 15 minutes if unplugged which would be fixed if I replaced the battery. My most current computer is an HP high performance laptop which I would grade as a B+ for gaming.

You can also apply to BillMeLater and hold off paying for 6 months or pay as you go before interest kicks in at the 6 month mark which reminds me, I need to finish off paying for my laptop..

My only questions at this point are if you have any additional plans and or requirements? Do you ever edit videos (video editing has a lot of potential to slow down your computer)? Do you want something thats easier to carry around or do you prefer something with a bigger screen? Blu-Ray movies?

Also have you used Windows 8? Virtually any new computer you buy will come equipped with it. Personally I think it's a terrible OS for PC's. Everytime the mouse "wanders" into the bottom left corner your computer goes to the metro aka the new start menu that takes up the entire screen which is really designed for tablets. Granted this is easily fixed by paying $3 for an app (I think theres also a couple free ones) that gives you back the traditional start button but just beware that there can bit of culture shock with Windows 8. Ironically part of the reason I bought a laptop around this time last year was because I knew Windows 8 was coming and I wanted to get one before Windows 8 became standard.

Anyway let me know about how you feel about windows 8 or if you have any additional requirements besides web browsing but I think if you're just looking for a simple point A to B computer you'll have a TON of options none of which will really be a bad fit.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:46 PM   #20
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by 724Skinsfan View Post
3 year on-site repair is always a good option to have when getting a laptop.
I'd say that depends on the type of computer you're getting. If you're spending close to a $1,000 or more then yes on site repair and extended warranties, especially on laptops are a smart investment. However if you're getting a low end, just let me browse the web and email type then you might be better off with risking it.

However if you want to get a cheap computer with a protection plan then just a quick look says Dell probably has the best offer. HP charges more for warranty and in home service on their low end laptops then Dell. Like $216 for HP on a $400 laptop vs $119 for protection with Dell on a $350 laptop on a 3 year protection plan with in home home service.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG

Last edited by Dirtbag59; 05-07-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:25 PM   #21
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
When you say office do you mean using it for work? Don't use it for work but I do have Outlook at work.
No, Microsoft Office. You said you might need it and there is a suite with it and one without it.

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:57 PM   #22
saden1
MVP

Buy a Dell laptop. Don't be too cheap if you want a machine that lasts a while and be sure to get a protection plan.

As others have said there are deals out there though you want see as many Dell deals as you would have when they were public. I loved their end of the quarter deals.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:10 PM   #23
hagams
Impact Rookie

Once you go Mac, you never go back.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:28 PM   #24
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

You only have to buy an entirely new operating system every few years.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:56 PM   #25
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagams View Post
Once you go Mac, you never go back.
Yakety Yak (don't go Mac)

Being in Marketing I have as much respect for Apple as anyone. And no doubt in the smart phone and MP3 market they are king. Just like Windows is to PC pretty much every third party bit of mobile and MP3 related software is developed with the iOS in mind. And if we were talking phones or Mp3 players Apple would be at the top of the list. However in the world of computers Mac books are pretty much the dumb blondes of the computer world. Well built and beautiful on the outside, but nothing more then gold diggers on the inside.

Seriously if I tried to sell someone an HP/Dell/Gateway/Lenovo with a 13.3 inch screen-900p, 512 GB SSD, with a 1.8ghz i5 dual core, 4 GB of Ram for $1,199 I'd get laughed at. However if I slap an Apple logo on there suddenly it's worth the price. For that same price I got a 17 inch screen 900p, 1TB HDD, 2.3gHz i7 quad core, and 8 GB of Ram.

Sorry Mr. Jobs but I need more room for my pronz and while I appreciate your efforts to get me my pronz faster the 512GB is not enough.

Okay end rant.

- FRPLG
Old 05-07-2013, 11:54 PM   #26
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Yakety Yak (don't go Mac)

Being in Marketing I have as much respect for Apple as anyone. And no doubt in the smart phone and MP3 market they are king. Just like Windows is to PC pretty much every third party bit of mobile and MP3 related software is developed with the iOS in mind. And if we were talking phones or Mp3 players Apple would be at the top of the list. However in the world of computers Mac books are pretty much the dumb blondes of the computer world. Well built and beautiful on the outside, but nothing more then gold diggers on the inside.

Seriously if I tried to sell someone an HP/Dell/Gateway/Lenovo with a 13.3 inch screen-900p, 512 GB SSD, with a 1.8ghz i5 dual core, 4 GB of Ram for $1,199 I'd get laughed at. However if I slap an Apple logo on there suddenly it's worth the price. For that same price I got a 17 inch screen 900p, 1TB HDD, 2.3gHz i7 quad core, and 8 GB of Ram.

Sorry Mr. Jobs but I need more room for my pronz and while I appreciate your efforts to get me my pronz faster the 512GB is not enough.

Okay end rant.
Well put.

When you buy Apple, you implicitly pay to support their bloated ad programs. I'd much rather have a PC and keep that cash for myself.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:38 AM   #27
That Guy
Living Legend

if you're worried about chinese parts, don't buy a computer. ever.

I'd say at least 90% (probably more) is made in china, and that's everything from individual ICs on up. their government keeps their currency cheap and subsidizies their international shipping, so it's not like there are a ton of places that can compete.

and buying a $300 warranty or a $350 laptop is stupid. they don't push it that hard cause their losing money on it. if you want piece of mind, dell has in home tech support (if the remote tech support can't fix it).

if you want win7, you'll have to pay a LOT more than $350 right now, but windows 8.1 is supposed to give you the startbar etc back.

I just got one of the lenovos for my uncle a couple months ago (same one, from office depot) and it's good. does everything he needs, no issues, not a ton of bloatware, etc. and it's got an i3, which is much better than a old duo core or celeron.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:56 PM   #28
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
Buy a Dell laptop. Don't be too cheap if you want a machine that lasts a while and be sure to get a protection plan.

As others have said there are deals out there though you want see as many Dell deals as you would have when they were public. I loved their end of the quarter deals.
I'm usually the don't buy cheap person but I have a hard time spending $750 to surf the net 95% of its use.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:06 PM   #29
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
As always it just depends on what you need it for. If you're looking for a cheap laptop for internet browsing, well virtually anything new even in the $350 range is likely going to make you happy.

HP has plenty of laptops in said range
Pavilion Laptops | HP® Official Store

I feel like right now HP has the best combination of price and performance. They remind me a bit of Dell when Dell was in their glory days (think Stoner Steve). The main problem that myself and other people have with their computers is bloatware. Also I think like virtually every other computer manufacturer they have a call center in India depending on the time you use support. However I have never had to use them.

Heck I have a store bought HP from 2008 that I'm just running into the ground without mercy (virtually on 24/7) playing movies and/or music all day. It's only issue is the battery life is around 15 minutes if unplugged which would be fixed if I replaced the battery. My most current computer is an HP high performance laptop which I would grade as a B+ for gaming.

You can also apply to BillMeLater and hold off paying for 6 months or pay as you go before interest kicks in at the 6 month mark which reminds me, I need to finish off paying for my laptop..

My only questions at this point are if you have any additional plans and or requirements? Do you ever edit videos (video editing has a lot of potential to slow down your computer)? Do you want something thats easier to carry around or do you prefer something with a bigger screen? Blu-Ray movies?

Also have you used Windows 8? Virtually any new computer you buy will come equipped with it. Personally I think it's a terrible OS for PC's. Everytime the mouse "wanders" into the bottom left corner your computer goes to the metro aka the new start menu that takes up the entire screen which is really designed for tablets. Granted this is easily fixed by paying $3 for an app (I think theres also a couple free ones) that gives you back the traditional start button but just beware that there can bit of culture shock with Windows 8. Ironically part of the reason I bought a laptop around this time last year was because I knew Windows 8 was coming and I wanted to get one before Windows 8 became standard.

Anyway let me know about how you feel about windows 8 or if you have any additional requirements besides web browsing but I think if you're just looking for a simple point A to B computer you'll have a TON of options none of which will really be a bad fit.
Wife said she does not want windows 8 and the one below might be the ticket. Its $479 but I could handle that but I still feel like I spending more then I need for how we use a laptop.
  • Attractive, reliable, affordable; ideal for everyday activities
  • Operating system - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
  • Processor - 2nd generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2350M Processor (2.3 GHz, 3MB L3 Cache)
  • Screen size - 15.6-inch diagonal High Definition HP BrightView LED Display (1366 x 768)
  • Memory - 4GB DDR3 System Memory (1 Dimm)
  • Hard drive - 500GB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
Old 05-08-2013, 01:45 PM   #30
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Wife said she does not want windows 8 and the one below might be the ticket. Its $479 but I could handle that but I still feel like I spending more then I need for how we use a laptop.
  • Attractive, reliable, affordable; ideal for everyday activities
  • Operating system - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
  • Processor - 2nd generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2350M Processor (2.3 GHz, 3MB L3 Cache)
  • Screen size - 15.6-inch diagonal High Definition HP BrightView LED Display (1366 x 768)
  • Memory - 4GB DDR3 System Memory (1 Dimm)
  • Hard drive - 500GB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
Firstdown, that one can surf the web like a demon. Who makes it?
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote