F...Cutting grass

Parking Lot

Old 04-09-2013, 06:57 PM   #16
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Re: F...Cutting grass

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
I had 3 acres when we first got married and with no neighbors I'd cut grass on Thursday night. It was pretty common for me to be cutting grass at 10 or 11 pm with a stiff drink in my hand. My wife could tell how drunk I got by how many places I missed while cutting. I'm down to about a 1/2 acre and I still have the 50 inch mower so it does not take very long to cut. I like yard work after being behind a desk all day/week.
Me too. It's a happy time for me with a sense of freedom.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-09-2013, 07:12 PM   #17
HailGreen28
Playmaker

In late fall, I try to let the grass grow tall as possible without looking too ugly, to get as thick as possible layer of dead grass come spring. Helps to keep the weeds down without having to use herbicides. Was spot spraying dandelions with roundup, probably mowing this weekend lol.
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:47 PM   #18
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

Been a long ass winter.
I'm more than happy to get out and do some yard work.
We're converting our back yard to dune grass so I'll have less to mow anyways.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:45 PM   #19
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by HailGreen28 View Post
In late fall, I try to let the grass grow tall as possible without looking too ugly, to get as thick as possible layer of dead grass come spring. Helps to keep the weeds down without having to use herbicides. Was spot spraying dandelions with roundup, probably mowing this weekend lol.

A winter Ryegrass is also good to fight back weeds but the down fall is you will have to cut grass a few times over the winter. I had our yard looking so good last summer with a Winter Ryegrass I probably had 20 people stop to ask me what I did you get my grass looking so good.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:58 AM   #20
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin Walton View Post
Been a long ass winter.
I'm more than happy to get out and do some yard work.
We're converting our back yard to dune grass so I'll have less to mow anyways.
Love that movie......not sure about their lawns' though
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:25 AM   #21
Schneed10
A Dude

Mowing the grass with my old Toro walk-behind mower... eff that. Mowing the grass with my new Deere tractor, awesome.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #22
firstdown
Living Legend

I prefer to smoke it!!!
Old 04-10-2013, 01:34 PM   #23
mlmpetert
Playmaker

I like cutting grass too. Although i hate cutting it when i have to do it more than once a week, which i am pretty much at right now. I put some weed and feed down in feburary and as of last night i have cut my grass 3.5 times (.5 because i just did the front one time).

2 years ago this old man told me that the most important thing you can do is "mow high". I put down some granual Preen weed preventer and some weed and feed once a year but other than that i just mow high. No bagging or anything. I now have the best lawn on my street and one of the better lawns in the neighborhood with minimul effort (dont worry ill try and post pics tomorrow!!!).

I will also highly recommend a Toro "Super Recycler". Dont get a Recycler, its a piece of shit, the Super Recycler does a much better job and will last 20+ years with basic maintenance. That said im about to sell mine because i just bought an old school 2 stroke mower (ill also try and post pics!!). Its pretty sweet and keeps with my size 13 carbon foot print.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:37 PM   #24
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
I like cutting grass too. Although i hate cutting it when i have to do it more than once a week, which i am pretty much at right now. I put some weed and feed down in feburary and as of last night i have cut my grass 3.5 times (.5 because i just did the front one time).

2 years ago this old man told me that the most important thing you can do is "mow high". I put down some granual Preen weed preventer and some weed and feed once a year but other than that i just mow high. No bagging or anything. I now have the best lawn on my street and one of the better lawns in the neighborhood with minimul effort (dont worry ill try and post pics tomorrow!!!).

I will also highly recommend a Toro "Super Recycler". Dont get a Recycler, its a piece of shit, the Super Recycler does a much better job and will last 20+ years with basic maintenance. That said im about to sell mine because i just bought an old school 2 stroke mower (ill also try and post pics!!). Its pretty sweet and keeps with my size 13 carbon foot print.
Yeah, I got no problems there.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:41 PM   #25
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:

If I "Mow Drunk" does that also work.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:18 PM   #26
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Yeah, I got no problems there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
If I "Mow Drunk" does that also work.
Nice
Old 04-10-2013, 04:13 PM   #27
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

As long as I don't have to push mow the entire yard, I don't mind mowing either. I love working out in the yard. I'm inside at a desk all freakin' week. It's nice to get out and get some fresh air.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:51 PM   #28
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Here is some great info on weeds commonly found in grasses for those in the mid Alantic. And sorry i dont have a link, just have it saved in an old email.

Weeds Information

Bittercress

Bittercress has unique foliage that makes it is easy to identify among other containerweeds. The leaflets on the foliage have a club shape, evident here on even small seedlings. Leaves of bittercress seedlings are often simple, while leaves that develop later are generally compound.

Buttonweed

Virginia buttonweed is a prostrate-growing perennial with branching hairy stems. The leaves are elongated, lance-shaped and grow opposite one another on the stems and are joined by a membrane. Virginia buttonweed prefers moist, wet conditions. The tubular flowers of Virginia buttonweed are white to purplish, and grow in the leaf axis along the stem. Flowers resemble four-pointed stars. Virginia buttonweed spreads by seed and plant segments.

Chickweed

Common chickweed, a winter annual, is a low-growing, succulent weed that often spreads out in extensive mats. It may survive summer in shady, cool areas that offer sufficient moisture and occurs year-round along the California coast. Seed leaves have prominent midveins and are about four times as long as broad, tapering to a point at the tip. True leaves are broader, opposite, and yellow green. Chickweed mats may cover a large area. Stems are trailing, weak, and slender, with a line of hairs down the side. Mature leaves are ovate and opposite on the stem. Flowers are small but showy with five deeply cut white petals.

Clover

White clover is a perennial with trifoliate leaves, stems that root at the nodes, and white flowers. Leaves are composed of 3 leaflets (trifoliate). Each leaflet is egg-shaped, widest at the apex, 1/2 to 1 1/4 inches long, and has an indentation at the apex. Leaflets usually have a lighter green or white 'V-shaped' marking close to their base and a slightly toothed margin. Each trifoliate leaf occurs on a 1-3 inch petiole. Flowers occur on flower stalks (peduncles) that arise from the leaf axils. Each rounded flower head is round or globular in outline, approximately 1/2 to 1 1/4 inches long, and consists of 20-40 individual white flowers.

Dandelion

The dandelion has a thick tap root, dark brown, almost black on the outside though white and milky within. The long jagged leaves rise directly, radiating from it to form a rosette lying close upon the ground. The shining, purplish flower-stalks rise straight from the root, are leafless, smooth and hollow and bear single heads of flowers. Dandelion seeds are carried away by the wind and travel like tiny parachutes. A strong wind can carry the seeds miles away from the parent plant.

Henbit

Henbit is a winter annual with square stems and pink-purple flowers, reaching 16 inches in height. Its leaves are opposite, reaching 5 inches in length, circular to heart-shaped, with hairs on the upper leaf surfaces and along the veins of the lower surface. Leaf margins have rounded teeth. Stems root at the lower nodes, are square in cross section and are covered with downward-pointing hairs. Flowers are pink to purple in color and are fused into a tube approximately 2/3 inch long.

Lespedeza

Lespedeza is a prostrate, freely-branched summer annual with inconspicuous purplish flowers forming mats 15 to 18 inches in diameter. Found throughout the southeast. Lespedeza has a strong, firm taproot. Its leaves consist of 3 oblong leaflets (trifoliolate), 1/2 to 3/4 inch long and 1/3 to 1/2 as wide, obtuse at apex, narrowed at the base. The stems are also firm and woody.

Oxalis

A perennial with trifoliate leaves and yellow flowers. Its leaves are arranged alternately along the stem, long-petiolated, and divided into 3 heart-shaped leaflets. Leaf margins are smooth but fringed with hairs. The stems are green to pink, weak, branched at base. The flowers occur in clusters that arise from long stalks at the leaf axils. Individual flowers consist of 5 yellow petals. The roots are long, slender rhizomes occur with a fibrous root system.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:52 PM   #29
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Plantain

Plantain is a perennial. It grows in a basal rosette with broad oval leaves. Its roots are fibrous with a strong taproot. Its leaves are smooth or slightly hairy, oval to elliptic, with a waxy surface and veins that are parallel to the margins. Margins are untoothed and sometimes wavy. Flowers produced on unbranched stalks (scapes) that arise from the rosette. Flowering stems are 5-15 inches long, clustered with small flowers that have whitish petals and bracts surrounding the flowers.
Speedwell

Speedwell is a winter annual that germinates in mid-fall. Speedwells have a short tap root to fibrous root systems and branching upright stems. The lower leaves are near round with toothed margins. The upper leaves are more pointed. The plant is covered with fine hairs. Corn Speedwell flowers are small and white to blue in color. The flowers are found in the leaf axis and the seed develops into a distinctive heart shape.

Spotted Spurge

Spotted spurge is a summer annual. While similar to prostate spurge, there are several subtle differences in the two varieties. Spotted spurge has a more erect growth habit than prostrate spurge. Its leaves are small and oblong shaped with an irregular red to purple spot in the center. The leaves that grow opposite on the stem. Spurge contains a milky sap in the stem. The flower of spotted spurge is small and green in color. It germinates in mid spring and flowers from June to September.
Wild Geranium

Wild geranium, also called Carolina geranium, is a semi-erect winter annual. The erect stems are branching and covered with hair. The alternate leaves are on long petioles and are divided into segmented leaflets which are blunt toothed. The flowers have 5 white to pink petals and form in clusters. The seed forms in a fruit capsule that forms a "storks bill".

Wild Onion - Wild Garlic

Wild onion and wild garlic are both winter perennials. The leaves are waxy, upright and needle shaped growing 8-12 inches long. The leaves of wild garlic are hollow and round and have a strong odor. The leaves of wild onion are solid and flat and appear directly from the bulb. Both plants grow from underground bulbs. The membrane-coated bulbs of wild garlic are flattened on one side and have bulblets. Wild onion bulbs are white inside with a strong odor and are covered with a fibrous, scaly coat. The white to light green flowers of wild garlic develop on short stems above aerial bulbs. Wild onion does not have a stem; white to pink flowers with six elliptical segments. Both wild onion and wild garlic spread by bulbs, seed and bulblets. Both plants flower from April through June.
Wild Violet

Wild violet is a winter perennial, growing 2 - 5 inches tall. It can have a tap root or a fibrous root system, and also can produce rooting stolons and rhizomes. The leaves can vary but usually are heart shaped, on long petioles with scalloped to shallow rounded margins. The flowers of wild violet range from white to blue to purple and appear from March to June. Wild violetflowers are pansy-like with three lower petals and two lateral petals on long single flower stalks.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:51 PM   #30
cpayne5
Playmaker

Quote:

Here's a man who knows how it's done. Good work on the two stroke. I've got one of the last two strokes Lawn Boy made. Gotta love 'em. The smoke keeps the bugs away.