Slingin Sammy 33's Rams Game Review

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-04-2011, 09:30 AM   #16
MTK
\m/

Re: Slingin Sammy 33's Rams Game Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
Ok so I understand Rex isn't the best rolling out to his left but that cuts the PA bootleg plays to 1. You can't keep the D honest on a stretch right the same way you can with the left.
Yeah I get it, you have to run it once in a while to keep a D honest. I'd just like to limit those as much as possible. He's just not athletic enough to make much happen off the boots.

Advertisements
Old 10-04-2011, 09:45 AM   #17
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Ok so I understand Rex isn't the best rolling out to his left but that cuts the PA bootleg plays to 1. You can't keep the D honest on a stretch right the same way you can with the left.
If you run PA off a stretch play going left rather than a waggle/boot (action right then back left) the footwork is a little easier and may help Rex.

Thanks to all for the good words and reading the review.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:53 AM   #18
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Good post SS33. Given your post about the whole QB situation, here is my thinking why Beck won't come unless there is a complete and total meltdown by Rex in a losing game (kind of a conspiracy theorish view).

I feel MS is not much of a gambler when it comes to QB decisions. You are right, Beck could come in and be a better game manager than Rex. But if Beck comes in and loses against the Eagles, all the flack will be on MS (even fans, who LOVE to blame the players for everything, will get blame MS). If Rex comes in and loses the Eagles game, all the flack will be on Rex and very few people will blame Shanahan.

If MS was a gambler with his QB decisions, he would not have gotten McNabb last year. But he chose the safer route, and in the end not many people are blaming him for getting McNabb. But let's say that MS would have stuck with Campbell or some an unproven QB. All the blame would have fallen on MS.

Despite all this babbling I just typed, the $60,000 dollar question is...what does Kyle want? Remember, Grossman is sort of his guy right now, but I'd be curious to see who would Kyle wants to start. I think KS is stubborn (hence the ton of passing calls when we should be running), so I wonder if KS is keeping Rex in the starting lineup.
I'm not sure MS is too worried about flack or fans/media criticism, he's got 100%+ support from Snyder so (at least for the forseeable future) I don't believe that's an issue. But it's an interesting point and something to keep in mind as the QB-drama unfolds.

I think your last sentence is absolutely correct. MS evaluated Beck out of the NCAA, not Kyle. Rex is Kyle's guy. Daddy needs to break out the "whoopin' stick" and get little KS in line
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:56 AM   #19
MTK
\m/

According to Kyle he evaluated Beck too coming out of college when he was with the Texans.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:59 AM   #20
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

SS, I understand that. Yes he is right-handed and not athletic. I am not completely stupid.

Just saying you can't cut that play out altogether. Just limit it like Matty said.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:10 AM   #21
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
SS, I understand that. Yes he is right-handed and not athletic. I am not completely stupid.

Just saying you can't cut that play out altogether. Just limit it like Matty said.
Certainly wasn't implying that, didn't mean to come across that way.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:37 PM   #22
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Great review SS33, good stuff as always. I'm more of Grossman believer than most around here despite his poor play half the game, but in the event the game comes where he doesn't contribute anything except an ability to play poorly and cost this team points I won't have a problem benching him. And I don't think Kyle Shanny would insist on keeping him in if he stunk up the field.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:47 PM   #23
redskin90
Camp Scrub

Interesting read....thanks for the share
redskin90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:53 PM   #24
GTripp0012
Living Legend

I think Rex is a problem, because he doesn't really fit the system we've used over the past four games. But 1) he's 18th in TQBR through four weeks, which isn't horrible, and 2) it would be fallacious to think that John Beck could step in and replace that production.

The idea that Beck can step in for Rex with no offensive dropoff is so obviously illogical that I don't know we we can debate that argument on its merits.

With that said, this team SHOULD look to add a vet QB that better fits its system. And I would consider offering late round draft pick compensation because the team is 3-1 and the NFC East is so obviously wide open and the Redskins clearly have something going.

If you're going to eventually replace Grossman, swallow the pride now and go out and get David Garrard, Matt Leinart, Matt Flynn, etc before the trade deadline. And then let them get practice reps behind Grossman so long as playing him is a reasonable option. Then if the team falls to .500, pull the trigger.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:55 PM   #25
GTripp0012
Living Legend

I thought Grossman played fine in this game. I thought he sucked against Dallas. But in this game, we played a lot of our down-depth chart receivers against maybe the worst secondary in football, and guys like Donte Stallworth and Niles Paul were incredibly unproductive given the opportunity of a lifetime.

Grossman could have had a great numbers day if AA was healthy, but he wasn't.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:08 PM   #26
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Great write up!

I started out thinking Grossman was going to do well in our system but im at the point now where i would be indifferent if he was benched for Beck. But i dont think its gonna happen.

I put a lot of Grossmans struggles on KS and the play calling. It was definitely better this week but still bad and not nearly enough running, especially when you consider your playing one of the wrost run defenses; you have the lead for most of the game; and Rex is your QB and keeps getting lucky with near interceptions.

GT, i think we should look into adding a qb....... in 2012. I dont think anyone available can come in and be a upgrade over Beck or Grossman. Matt Flynn is a FA next year not worth trading for. GB needs a solid back up right now anways as their on pace to go back to back, no way they are going to trade a player that could be essential to that run for anything cheap. If anything maybe get a young guy like my all time favorite Ryan Perrilloux for the PS..... he just became avialable. Good point on Stallworth and Paul, they blew big oppertunities.

Last edited by mlmpetert; 10-04-2011 at 01:14 PM.
mlmpetert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:31 PM   #27
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
I think Rex is a problem, because he doesn't really fit the system we've used over the past four games. But 1) he's 18th in TQBR through four weeks, which isn't horrible, and 2) it would be fallacious to think that John Beck could step in and replace that production.
I'm not sold on the TQBR any more than standard QB rating. In either one, Rex is subpar. The best way to judge a QB is looking at the details on film, based on the situation. From what I'm seeing Rex ain't looking good.

Quote:
The idea that Beck can step in for Rex with no offensive dropoff is so obviously illogical that I don't know we we can debate that argument on its merits.
This is an opinon you hold, it is not any more logical than an argument made to support Beck. If Grossman's flaws are hurting the team, and Beck doesn't display the same flaws, it is logical to replace Grossman to improve the team. Whether Beck will or won't display the same flaws (or worse) is an unknown.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:37 PM   #28
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
I'm not sold on the TQBR any more than standard QB rating. In either one, Rex is subpar. The best way to judge a QB is looking at the details on film, based on the situation. From what I'm seeing Rex ain't looking good.

This is an opinon you hold, it is not any more logical than an argument made to support Beck. If Grossman's flaws are hurting the team, and Beck doesn't display the same flaws, it is logical to replace Grossman to improve the team. Whether Beck will or won't display the same flaws (or worse) is an unknown.
agree. I dont need any damn QBR or quarterback rating to see the guy effing sucked last game. Give me a break. 15/29 with 2 pics, yeah he wasnt that bad :vomit:

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:41 PM   #29
fanarchist
Special Teams

Awesome breakdown of the situational game in every phase. I agree wholeheartedly.
fanarchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:43 PM   #30
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post

It's not really an unknown though, because we have preseason performance as well as four prior years of his career to work of off. John Beck is not an unknown commodity at this point.

I think Grossman's flaws are hurting the team, and I wouldn't dispute your analysis of his play. It's pretty similar to what I would write up about his play to date.

But an improvement on a guy who may be showing some flaws that are hurting his offense does at least imply that you believe that almost anyone would be better. And then I think we might be arriving at a disagreement on Grossman's value. If you've seen his play as an "anything would be better than this", I wouldn't support that conclusion.

If we accept the Redskins QB situation for what it is, Rex's play becomes far more tolerable. When we ignore the reality of the QB situation and float John Beck as an unknown quantity who just needs a chance to prove himself, Rex looks bad in comparison. But that's a pretty unrealistic take on the reality of the situation. It requires a belief in John Beck far beyond anything all the evidence would suggest we believe. At some point, to arrive at such a conclusion, we're not only suspending belief in statistical evidence, but visual evidence as well.

I think we need to improve the QB situation of the roster before we even consider a change.

I want give you the biggest complement I can about your reviews SS33: going back three years, when I see these posted on the WP, I read them. Always. Doesn't matter how busy I am. That's as much of a complement as I would ever have wanted to receive myself. Needless to say, you do a great job.