Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

The runners thread

Parking Lot

Old 06-06-2011, 09:28 PM   #16
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Re: The runners thread

I used to love jogging but eventually I came to the conclusion thats its virtually pointless unless you play an endurance sport like soccer or hockey (no sex doesn't count lol). Plus I look back at pictures from when I use to do more jogging then lifting and cross training and personally jogging made me to skinny.

Not that I'm into getting huge muscles and being one of those guys that lives at the gym but if you exercise mainly to look good or stay healthy then I think we would all be better off with less long distance running. Long distance running tends to age people faster and is more likely to use muscle for fuel.

Sprinting and kettlebells were probably two of the best training methods I came across. Workouts got done faster and the results were exponentially better then jogging. Plus one of the things I always loved about putting an emphasis on building and keeping muscle is how much more forgiving your body is when you eat a little to much or have to miss a couple of days due to work or illness. With jogging I found you had to do it virtually everyday and the more in shape you got, the longer you had to do it to keep the results. With lifting or sprinting you just have to add more weight or reduce the amount of time between sprints. Also adding one or two sprints to a workout is much easier then adding a quarter mile for the same effect.

Then again I ended up with a hernia so maybe the jokes on me.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-06-2011, 09:42 PM   #17
GMScud
Swearinger

I like to vary my cardio, but I do enjoy running quite a bit. I like intervals on the treadmill. I'll do 4 or 5 miles running at 9mph for two minutes, then fast walking at 4mph for two minutes, and just alternate until I reach my goal.

I just got back from a week's vacation in Siesta Key beach in Florida. I ran 4 miles up and down the beach every day. That was pretty much the end of my Nike Lunarglide Flywires (agree with Saden, really good shoes).

For an anniversary present, the wife took me to a New Balance store to have one of those digital foot analysis tests (and a new pair of running shoes). Pretty cool. Turns out I have a very high arch (somehow I never knew that), and I put a disproportionate amount of pressure on the balls of my feet when I run which explains the occasional shin splints I deal with.

Anyway, I picked up a pair of a New Balance Baddeley 890's. They're sweet. They weigh all of 9 ounces. Got some good inserts as well for extra arch support. They're going to get their first run tomorrow.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:01 PM   #18
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Last August my buddy and I decided to sign up for a half marathon. I wrestled throughout high school and used to be in very good shape but during college and after I became really sedentary. I had been getting progressively fatter for the past ten years and decided enough was enough, plus I was inspired by some family stuff.

Anyway, I had to train for a month just to be able to start the 12 week training program. At first I could barely run a mile and then when I did it would take me about 12 minutes. On top of running I hit the gym up with more frequency and dieted (really just by cutting calories, portion control, etc). Within a few months it all started coming back to me and the weight started dropping big time.

So in December we ran our half marathon and I really enjoyed. Since then I've run another, and I cut 13 minutes off my first time and I plan to continue with running. I'm down about 50lbs since August and I've basically had to get all new clothes, but I was able to pay for some of those by winning the two Biggest Loser contests we've had at work over the last few months.
Last week I got fitted for new shoes, which was definitely worth the time (like GMScud said) since my old shoes were tearing my feet up. I don't have any plans for another race at this time but I think I'm going to sign up for the Baltimore half in October and, like I said in the sports bucket list, I might try to run the USMC Marathon next fall.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:10 PM   #19
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
Not really so much into running but ive recently learned about obstacle course races. Totally sweet. To me they are tons more fun than running on a flat surface for several miles. I did the Dauber Dash 5 miler last year and plan to it and the Warrior Dash this year. Not sure where you live in NY but theres a Warrior Dash coming up in August in your state:

http://warriordash.com/

Also Richmond has a website called www.sportsbackers.com that you can check or get emails of all the races coming up in your area. Im sure other areas have something similar. I like it a lot because it keeps you up with a lot of races youd probably never hear of otherwise.
count me in, think i could do it no training? haven't ran a mile in at least 6 months, bet i could still run a sub 7:30 though. might have to go to the high school and see whats up

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:28 PM   #20
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post

Also my neighbor power walks he is I am guessing late fifties I asked if I could join him. He showed me the ropes
I'm sorry but this is HILARIOUS
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:31 PM   #21
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

Earned a 1.0 bumper sticker today. Holla.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:05 AM   #22
724Skinsfan
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
Not really so much into running but ive recently learned about obstacle course races. Totally sweet. To me they are tons more fun than running on a flat surface for several miles. I did the Dauber Dash 5 miler last year and plan to it and the Warrior Dash this year. Not sure where you live in NY but theres a Warrior Dash coming up in August in your state:

http://warriordash.com/

Also Richmond has a website called www.sportsbackers.com that you can check or get emails of all the races coming up in your area. Im sure other areas have something similar. I like it a lot because it keeps you up with a lot of races youd probably never hear of otherwise.
I'm signed up for the Tough Mudder in October at Wintergreen. 10 miles/18 obstacles. Looks to be insane. Love the fact that you get a beer at the end instead of a biodegradable water bottle or whatever.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:17 AM   #23
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
I'm sorry but this is HILARIOUS
I guess that does sound funny.

But there is a specific way you need to walk in order to consider it power walking. He is a great guy I enjoyed our walk.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:57 PM   #24
GMScud
Swearinger

Well, I just came in from my power walk with my 60 year old dad... Just kidding.

I did try those new New Balance shoes today for the first time. 5 mile interval run on the treadmill. They were fantastic. I could definitely tell the difference in support on my arch.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:09 PM   #25
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Am I the only one freaked out by these?

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Old 06-07-2011, 06:46 PM   #26
MTK
\m/

Those just aren't right
Old 06-07-2011, 06:51 PM   #27
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

I just struggled through a little over 2 miles. I think if I had some water with me I could have gone farther and the run would have been easier. Personally I'd much rather run when its about 40degrees or lower than the 80+ that it was today.

Does anyone actually like running in the heat?
Old 06-07-2011, 06:58 PM   #28
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtMonkDrillz View Post
I just struggled through a little over 2 miles. I think if I had some water with me I could have gone farther and the run would have been easier. Personally I'd much rather run when its about 40degrees or lower than the 80+ that it was today.

I've always loved it. I guess in part because it takes me back to playing football in high school during the summer where we would practice two or three times a day usually wearing full pads. Also theres a sense of accomplishment when the sun is beating down on you, you're covered in sweat, and yet you still finished your workout.

The only thing I didn't like was the farmers tan.

- FRPLG
Old 06-07-2011, 07:00 PM   #29
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
I've always loved it. I guess in part because it takes me back to playing football in high school during the summer. Also theres a sense of accomplishment when the sun is beating down on you, you're covered in sweat, and yet you still finished your workout.

The only thing I didn't like was the farmers tan.
Maybe that's it. I was a wrestler, so most of my long distance running experience prior to the last few months was running outside after practice in December/January/February to cut weight.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:30 PM   #30
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtMonkDrillz View Post

I did 2 miles tonight in the heat and I was seriously hurtin' half way through. Think I need to start bringing along some water too when it's hot like this. Didn't help that I chose to take a path with no shade when I could have taken another route that had a lot less direct sun.