Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Redskins at Saints Post Game Thoughts

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Along with RG3, who gets your game ball?
Garcon 11 10.09%
Morris 41 37.61%
A. Robinson 13 11.93%
Gomes 23 21.10%
C. Griffin 12 11.01%
other 9 8.26%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-09-2012, 06:25 PM   #16
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Re: Redskins at Saints Post Game Thoughts

Madieu Williams is a 10-year vet, he should know how to not commit pass interference. Williams is not going to be able to defend many WRs one-on-one...b/c he's a 10 year veteran and old. Hopefully we can find a safety or the Redskins figure out how to make sure he is not a liability.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-09-2012, 06:28 PM   #17
MTK
\m/

My initial thought, did that really just happen?

I'm still in a daze.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:31 PM   #18
12thMan
MVP

The pass pro was actually really good. Even Tyler P. had a solid game.

Other than RG3's stat line, he looked really prepared and had a comfortable command of the offense the entire time. Even he throws a clunker next week, you know this kid is special.

On defense, I think Bowen and Kerrigan had the best games. Bowen could break out this year. With the swatted passes he's reminding of Too Tall Jones.

Even Brandon Banks had a spark and you can tell his head was into the game.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:32 PM   #19
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
My initial thought, did that really just happen?

I'm still in a daze.
100% agree. Did not see that coming.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:33 PM   #20
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Griffin obviously played great and our guys stepped up when it mattered. Only thing that matters is 1-0. Kudos to great game planning by Kyle today, and especially to our defense for holding down the Saints.

I do not care to mention anything about the special teams because my respect for Nick Sundberg increased after I learned he broke his arm on the blocked punt. That's very tough to do and I'm not going to fault him for the mishaps because we have no backup long snapper on the roster. And Billy Cundiff was great, not just on kicks but on kickoffs as well. Very solid win today and we can't ask for more than that.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:33 PM   #21
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Just an amazing win.

The Good:

1. MVP of the game: RG3. I cant believe how accurate he is with the ball.
2. Kyle's playcalling, very very smart the opening drive with the screen passes to get RG3 in a rhythm and gain confidence. Aggressive playcalling just through off the Saints' D all game.
3. Alfmo, just a tough runner. Id like to see Helu in a little more for a stronger "change of pace."
4. Secondary played damn well. I thought Josh Wilson, D Hall and Gomes all came with very strong games. C Griff made some plays as well. Gomes was a surprise on just how well he came in and played.
5. Bowen, Rak and Kerrigan all came with very strong games today
6. Robinson. Its so important when guys go down someone can step in and produce. Dude came in and was out there making plays. Thats just so big imo. Same goes with Gomes. I think this is positive proof that Shanny and Bruce has grown the Skins the right way. Gomes and Robinson are quality depth, that is still developing into potential starters. This is the right way to create a team.
7. Cundiff had a huge game

Bad (nothing much)

1. I personally dont like running RG3 more than 4-5 times a game. He ran 10 times, I want to limit RG3 exposure to hits.
2. WTF is up with the special team's punt protection and sloppiness? Lets hope this is just a one game thing.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:38 PM   #22
44 goes 50 gut

Super bowl bound baby!!!111

Just kidding no seriously just kidding, before anyone goes crazy that was a Saints team in clear dissarray not firing on all cylinders.
I love that after one game RGIII is pretty clearly an NFL QB, no mediocre with some flashes performance but a rock solid outing that showed he has the mechanics and speed of the game under his control.
I love that RGIII looks light years ahead of where you expect a rookie to be
I loved the commitment to the run and the lack of good old Norval Turner panic mode passing when things got closer.
I loved the explosiveness of the new WR's
I loved the old school rugby play by Savv, he's a football player before he's a punter in my book. I'm not sure why any team let this guy go. Doesn't matter that it didn't end up counting, he turned a bad snap (which admittedly he probably should have handled) into a good punt. Most NFL punters there are screwed... But that's a normal play in Aussy rules and Rugby, meaning when Savv has to improvise he's actually got an advantage.
I love that when the momentum shifted they didn't collapse.
I love that Shanahan didn't pass on the last 3rd down, thus potentially leaving Brees another 40 seconds to work with. As it was it was almost too much.

Negatives:
Special teams, for a coach who's touted as a great ST coach, he sure does have more than his fair share of problems. The blocked punt, blocked kicks last year, the poor directional and squib kick calls last year, the TD returns brought back by illegal block in the back calls...
Not letting RGIII pass in the mid 4th Q possession where they were TOO conservative (not to be confused with the end of game call where they ran most of the time out).

Nit picks: they should have run at least two or three more plays off those bubble screens they came out of the gate calling... That said they did connect on a nice long reception off that formation as well as two first downs from intermediate passes in the second half out of that formation.

All in all well played and well coached game with a couple of tight moments, a bight bright flash of things to come hopefully.
44 goes 50 gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:42 PM   #23
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Has anyone seen replays of that blocked punt? I think Sundberg breaking his arm on that play may have contribute to it.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:45 PM   #24
Evilgrin
The Starter

Josh Wilson & Dajuan Gomes get some for sure.

Orakpo was constant pressure.

Griffins arm and accuracy were nice too see. The PI call on Robinson in the end zone, pass hit him in the hands probably caught by a lot of receivers.

Robinson was good, but he did have a couple drops.
Evilgrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:50 PM   #25
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayroc24 View Post
Anyone heard anything on Garcon?
X-Rays were positive I mean negative. Well seriously if you get good news from the X-Ray it really should be positive. Stupid doctors.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:56 PM   #26
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

I agree...what a game. I think this season is gonna be a real departure from things in recent years......AND I hope Chris Cooley finds his way back on the team as he.....deserves to be part of THIS!
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:01 PM   #27
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

As for post game thoughts, I'm still tempted to say that Fletchers pass breakup in the redzone on Sproles was the play of the game. Just the way he diagnosed it so easily and then kept up with Sproles who's one of the leagues fastest players was amazing.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:03 PM   #28
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
As for post game thoughts, I'm still tempted to say that Fletchers pass breakup in the redzone on Sproles was the play of the game. Just the way he diagnosed it so easily and then kept up with Sproles who's one of the leagues fastest players was amazing.
Amazing closing speed by Fletcher on that play. The guy is just a freak of nature.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:03 PM   #29
TheSmurfs22
The Starter

Just a total team effort. Sure a couple of hiccups on special teams and that TD when it was 4th and 10. Glad to see the Skins push through and come up with a W in a very hard to place to play.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:04 PM   #30
TheSmurfs22
The Starter

I am not firing up the Bandwagon yet but it was nice to see a solid win. Got another good test ahead of us. The amount in which we have played the Rams the last few years you would think they are in our division.