Brian Orakpo will win NFL DPOY and other predictions

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-03-2012, 07:30 PM   #16
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Re: Brian Orakpo will win NFL DPOY and other predictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
Kerrigan's our best defensive player. Was last year and will be again this year. Rak seems too inconsistent at times. He's good player, but I'm starting to feel he's a bit overrated.

But this coming from the guy who thinks D.Hall is the best thing since sliced bread, so what do I know.
I mean, Kerrigan is going to be one of the better defensive players in the NFL, no doubt. I just think Orakpo --particularly with Suggs on the mend this year-- is poised to be the top defensive player in the NFL this year. He's already the top guy on the Redskins.

Advertisements
Old 09-03-2012, 08:14 PM   #17
GoSkins!
The Starter

Hey GTRIPP, do you think any other top tier DE has a leg up based on an easy schedule (relative to OL they face)?
Old 09-03-2012, 08:55 PM   #18
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
I mean, Kerrigan is going to be one of the better defensive players in the NFL, no doubt. I just think Orakpo --particularly with Suggs on the mend this year-- is poised to be the top defensive player in the NFL this year. He's already the top guy on the Redskins.

Orakpo showed how great he was two years ago when he was being held consistently on every pass rush. He knows how to rush the passer but he has to learn how to fight through two defenders in order to get to the quarterback because the opposing coaches know what he's capable of. On a play last season when Orakpo sacked Cam Newton, he was more gratified with getting to the sack than going for the strip. Orakpo has to learn how to go for the strip in order to make himself even more respectable and feared.
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:23 PM   #19
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Kerrigan's our best defensive player. Was last year and will be again this year. Rak seems too inconsistent at times. He's good player, but I'm starting to feel he's a bit overrated.

But this coming from the guy who thinks D.Hall is the best thing since sliced bread, so what do I know.
Certainly wasn't the case last year, isn't the case now and won't be this season. Kerrigan could be our best defensive player after Fletcher is gone, but that's not a foregone conclusion.

It's sad, if not a little irritating, that even some Skins fans, who've supposedly watched a lot of Skins games the last several years, somehow fail to understand/appreciate Fletcher as not only our best player on defense, but the guy who actually holds the defense together. This fact was reaffirmed already in preseason when Fletcher sat out of the Bears game and our defense looked mediocre at best. And it will be the same all season long and really until we have an ILB who can lead/motivate the defense like Fletcher.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:30 PM   #20
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Orakpo and Kerrigan's success will depend largely on how much Bowen, Cofield, and Carriker can collapse the pocket.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:30 PM   #21
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Also, I do think Orakpo is our 2nd best defensive player. Going into the season my expectation for Orakpo depends on whether he's broadened his skill as a pass rusher and a cover OLB. That said I defer to Tripp's expertise, here's to Rak taking his game to the next level!!
Old 09-04-2012, 08:39 AM   #22
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Who are you and what have you done with GTripp???
Hahaha...I had the same thought immediately.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:49 AM   #23
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
I think Po is probably our best player but don't you think he has pretty much under-delivered on his talent so far. And I totally understand the somewhat craziness of that statement.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:30 AM   #24
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
I love how: I've been kidnapped and am being held hostage by Ravens fans is considered more believable than I think Brian Orakpo is going to have the best season of his career, despite how gushingly positive I've always been about Orakpo.

Seriously though, you guys are the best. And it's Saints week.
Well, we believe that Rak is going to have an excellent season. While you may have gushed about him, I think it sometimes gets lost in your "guarded optimism".

While I tend to think you have a "glass half full" approach, I know I am a kool-aid drinker. Since I regard your opinion highly on these matters, it is good to see that you seem to believe that the team will have success this year, it makes me think that it's not just the kool-aid talking this year.

It's gonna be tough this week. NO is no pushover and they have a HUGE chip on their shoulder. Our secondary is going to be toasted, roasted and boiled. I hope our offense can keep up and the defensive front 7 can make a difference. Unfortunately, I see us losing by about 10.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:33 AM   #25
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Well, we believe that Rak is going to have an excellent season. While you may have gushed about him, I think it sometimes gets lost in your "guarded optimism".

While I tend to think you have a "glass half full" approach, I know I am a kool-aid drinker. Since I regard your opinion highly on these matters, it is good to see that you seem to believe that the team will have success this year, it makes me think that it's not just the kool-aid talking this year.

It's gonna be tough this week. NO is no pushover and they have a HUGE chip on their shoulder. Our secondary is going to be toasted, roasted and boiled. I hope our offense can keep up and the defensive front 7 can make a difference. Unfortunately, I see us losing by about 10.
Go finish that gallon of kool-aid, we are winning this week by 4. Bob will lead the way!
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:37 AM   #26
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

Isnt Rak dealing with a pectoral muscle issue right now?
Old 09-04-2012, 10:02 AM   #27
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:

Kerrigan makes the big plays but over all I think Fletcher is still our best D player.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:14 AM   #28
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
It's been a while since a Redskin has gone all-pro, and I think Orakpo breaks that streak this year.

I also predict that:

Josh Wilson will win NFC Defensive player of the week at least once.

Santana Moss will get another 6 receiving touchdowns: one more than Fred Davis.

Pierre Garcon will get off to a fast start, with three 30+ yd TD receptions in the first six weeks of the season.

Robert Griffin will throw for 3,500 yards as a rookie.

Barry Cofield will head to the pro bowl this season.

Trent Williams will give the Redskins a second all-pro player (with Orakpo), and the Redskins will have the highest YPC to the left of any NFL team.

Griffin will get 20 career passing TDs before his 10th career INT (maybe neither this season though).
All these things can be done. The only one that I don't think will get done is Rak getting DPOY.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:18 AM   #29
Skinzman
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin Walton View Post
Isnt Rak dealing with a pectoral muscle issue right now?
Nope. He had hurt his arm on a tackle in the preseason and everyone thought he re-injured his pectoral. But it ended up being a rip in the scar tissue from his old pectoral surgery or something to that effect. Considered minor and wont hold him out of any action. I believe they held him out of the 3rd preseason game as a precaution, but he could have played if it was the regular season.
Skinzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:29 AM   #30
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Kerrigan makes the big plays but over all I think Fletcher is still our best D player.
He is the most consistent. Rak has to be the most talented and physically gifted.